Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JWash wrote: View Post
    I could honestly see the outcome of the 2017 CBA being no salary cap at all.
    The way Michele Roberts is already hardlining for 2017, I was thinking we might not even have a season. But then I figured the players are going to be so happy from rolling in all this new money that they'll take what's given as long as Silver doesn't try to press too hard.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
      I don't see any salary cap going down by a signifigant number. Ever again. Inflation bro ever deal is bigger than the last.
      depends on if basketball is still the biggest sport at the time. fads happen everywhere

Comment

• Sorry if this has been said already in the thread but why does it make sense for the raps to go small at all, other than it being a trend. You go small to add in more shooting, but with PPat at the 4 you have 3 out of 5 positions that can shoot the 3 ball well (assuming DD still isnt a great 3 pt shooter) at that point the floor is well enough spaced and you don't get destroyed on the boards. Is it because the defense would suffer with PPat on the perimeter, because it seems like he already does that. It seems to me that the most likely reasoning is that Casey just doesn't really trust JV, or Casey wants to go small because its a trend and it worked for the Dubs. Going small just makes no sense to me with the current roster, where am I wrong?

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
          Anthony Davis will make more next year than everyone in the league combined in '84
          Anthony Davis is still on his rookie contract next year.

Extension doesn't kick in until 2016-17.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
            In the early turn of the centurary Shaq was making $30M/yr. In the 90's at the end of his career I'm pretty sure MJ was making close on to $30M/yr. Think about that for a second while looking at these numbers.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              In the early turn of the centurary Shaq was making $30M/yr. In the 90's at the end of his career I'm pretty sure MJ was making close on to $30M/yr. Think about that for a second while looking at these numbers.
              Shaq was about 20M. But MJ was 30M in 98, making more than the salary cap by himself.

Shockingly, the following summer saw the introduction of the first luxury tax in the NBA.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I said $30M, you said $20M but it was actually $28M. Here's an interesting article for you:

http://www.businessinsider.com/highe...me-2014-4?op=1

Comment

• One side of the ship is getting over loaded.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...eeping-the-nba

What really bugs me about the whole 'small ball' hype is the lack of focus on the players needed to run such an offense.

It is not easy to find 4-5 guys all 6'7" or bigger who can all switch and defend any opponent, shoot, pass, dribble, rebound, and defend.

Just like there is more than one way to build a team, there is more than one way to win as a team. Too much recency bias going on here. It is a touch ridiculous because Golden State is the poster child for this current movement yet they only ditched their slow plodding starting C for the last 3 games of the NBA Finals because it was advantageous from a specific match up perspective. The Warriors had rolled through playoffs until Finals and they had a 67 win season.... all with Bogut heavily involved.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    I said $30M, you said $20M but it was actually $28M. Here's an interesting article for you:

http://www.businessinsider.com/highe...me-2014-4?op=1
                    You also said early turn of the century, when Shaq was making 20M. He didn't make 28M until 2004-05, when the cap had risen to the mid-40M's.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Is this a court case? We're both doing poorly in our testimonies.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/3292...457&refid=stpr

Gregg Popovich Interview
                        Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                          interesting stuff, good find.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            One side of the ship is getting over loaded.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/articl...eeping-the-nba

What really bugs me about the whole 'small ball' hype is the lack of focus on the players needed to run such an offense.

It is not easy to find 4-5 guys all 6'7" or bigger who can all switch and defend any opponent, shoot, pass, dribble, rebound, and defend.

Just like there is more than one way to build a team, there is more than one way to win as a team. Too much recency bias going on here. It is a touch ridiculous because Golden State is the poster child for this current movement yet they only ditched their slow plodding starting C for the last 3 games of the NBA Finals because it was advantageous from a specific match up perspective. The Warriors had rolled through playoffs until Finals and they had a 67 win season.... all with Bogut heavily involved.
                            Is it any easier to find a Finals-caliber smallball lynch pin like Draymond Green than it is to find a Finals-caliber big man? Maybe slightly, but there won't be 30 of them, that's for sure.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but the best thing about recent NBA trends is just that teams with savvy coaches and GMs have realized you don't have to follow a mould. You get the most talented players you can and you figure out how to use them (or a GM/coach with a specific philosophy can find the BPA to fit their strategy). You don't have to find a 6'1" PG, a 6'5" SG, a 6'7" SF, a 6'10" PF, and a 7' C and play them each 30+mpg. That's all this means. Everybody should have massive flexibility now, there are so few expectations for how things should be done. Following the trend is doing the opposite of everything the game has evolved to be - it's voluntarily sacrificing that flexibility that the modern NBA gives you.

Be a Heat superstar team, be a Spurs supersystem, be a Memphis and actually pound the rock, run the triangle, play GSW "smallball", shoot tons of threes and draw tons of fouls aka Houston - nobody gives a feck. Do what you need to do. But following what somebody else is already doing? You're never going to out-smallball this GSW team anymore than anybody could outgun the D'Antoni/Nash Phoenix Suns. It's not only dumb, it's disappointing that there's this massive opportunity for team to be creative right now and it would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch the Raptors set a trend than follow one.
                            "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Is it any easier to find a Finals-caliber smallball lynch pin like Draymond Green than it is to find a Finals-caliber big man? Maybe slightly, but there won't be 30 of them, that's for sure.
                              Good thing the Raptors have one then.

Comment

It's not only dumb, it's disappointing that there's this massive opportunity for team to be creative right now and it would be a hell of a lot more fun to watch the Raptors set a trend than follow one.
                                Raptors did try to set a trend last year with their all-ISO-ball-all-the-time offence, though few had fun watching it.
                                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

Working...
                                X