No announcement yet.

Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So many posters refuse to accept the truth when it comes to Jonas. Last year he was too slow to guard ANYONE on the perimeter.

I think this is the reason why he actually played less minutes than the year before.

Jonas knows this to be true and is working on his mobility/quickness and looking to extend his range a bit (I presume he finally wants to take advantage of all the open shots he turns down).

Nothing to see here folks.

JV is only 23!! He needs to improve his quickness, defense and show a decent mid range jumper more often.

So he sits because he couldn't/can't keep up with the smaller faster players......Is anyone really surprised?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
      So many posters refuse to accept the truth when it comes to Jonas. Last year he was too slow to guard ANYONE on the perimeter.
      Maybe i'm old school, but the fact that your defensive scheme fails if your 7 foot centre can't guard perimeter players tells me you suck at coaching.

Comment

• First of all. Who the h3ll are these bozos talking bball.
        This vid needs some credibility; Casey should've been in there, Not Carlisle.
        All joke aside, Casey has lost a lot of respect last year, mostly because his mistakes are being seen by other players (PPat, Kyle and JJ) to name a few. He'll be on very thin ice this year, he is a good assistant, but he is struggling mighty when it comes to managing a full squad. I said it 1000 times, an NBA coach is a small-scale COO, Not every Assistant is Executive material.

slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
        Thats actually a pretty good theory. I'm not the biggest Casey fan but from what I've seen players around the league seem to like and respect him. Casey also seemed to have a good effect in recruiting Carrol. Firing Casey now could have a negative effect on us around the league similar to what is happening in Sacramento. Mike Malone was very liked by his players and his firing started the craziness that has made Sacramento one of the worst destinations in the NBA.

Comment

• I think most importantly. Coaches have figured out HOW to make good usage of skilled tweeners; and shooting & passing allows smaller quicker guys to stay on the floor and trade 3pt for 2 pts (Iggy vs Mozgof). If Diaw came into the league right NOW, he would be a MAX player. Analytics have help coaches to be more concerned about long term and not coach possession by possession. I remember Kerr telling his guys to trust his strategy, it's a grind they will come up on top, ie "don't worry about getting killed on the board, physically, their bigs will get tired by 3rd and 4th and the open looks will be even more wide open".

I don't think a lot of teams can play small for a whole game, BUT depending on the opponents, you can get away with it for longer stretches nowadays IF you have the right players; that's why size at EVERY POSITION is IMPORTANT. That's what MU is trying to do, and that's what Mil and GSW has done.

Apollo wrote: View Post
          Good find. Basically they're saying the game is trendy and the new trend is a great emphasis on skilled players regardless of the size difference but at the same time great players transcend systems and philosophies and force you to deal with them on their terms. The prime example is Shaq. If Shaq was in the league right now in his prime he would still score his 25-30 & 12 while the other team collects fouls like Ty Lawson collects DUI's. There's not a guy in the league who can handle Shaq.

Comment

So many posters refuse to accept the truth when it comes to Jonas. Last year he was too slow to guard ANYONE on the perimeter.

I think this is the reason why he actually played less minutes than the year before.

Jonas knows this to be true and is working on his mobility/quickness and looking to extend his range a bit (I presume he finally wants to take advantage of all the open shots he turns down).

JV is only 23!! He needs to improve his quickness, defense and show a decent mid range jumper more often.

So he sits because he couldn't/can't keep up with the smaller faster players......Is anyone really surprised?

He's a goddamn CENTER, it's called "man in the middle" for a freaking reason, cause you know they're supposed to actually be somewhere near the damn basket not out chasing guards. Can you take off the homer goggles for a sec? I like DeMar too man, but all I see you doing is going in threads trashing JV as if that's some way of propping up DD. All it does is make your opinion look worthless.

Shaq couldn't defend perimeter players for shit either I guess Phil should've benched him and run Horry at center cause he was more mobile? Stop this craziness.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
              He's a goddamn CENTER, it's called "man in the middle" for a freaking reason, cause you know they're supposed to actually be somewhere near the damn basket not out chasing guards. Can you take off the homer goggles for a sec? I like DeMar too man, but all I see you doing is going in threads trashing JV as if that's some way of propping up DD. All it does is make your opinion look worthless.

Shaq couldn't defend perimeter players for shit either I guess Phil should've benched him and run Horry at center cause he was more mobile? Stop this craziness.
              nothing he said referenced demar.

we can't really compare shaq and jv ever.

Comment

• Casey: "We Have To Participate In The Trend Of Going Small At The End of Games"

JWash wrote: View Post

Calm down man. Why are you bringing up Demar in this thread?

JV is not Shaq. You take off your homer goggles.

You're emotional and obviously not thinking clearly.

All I do is go into threads trashing JV?? What are you even talking about? Who are you?

My post was pretty harmless and I did not trash JV.

Welcome to my ignore list. Truth be told you're the first poster I'm adding to it. I don't even have OldSkool on my ignore list.....

Disagree with me if you want, but don't try to start shit that isn't there.

Last edited by special1; Tue Jul 21, 2015, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• The funny thing is JV is on par with our guards when it comes to perimeter D. None of them can stop anyone out there.

Comment

• If Casey truly wants to go small, use JJ at the 4.

We have no need to not use Jonas as much as possible. We also have no need to make him play on the perimeter either. He supposed to be a post-defender, is he not?

We've done enough to upgrade our defense on the perimeter now with Carroll and Joseph, so I really don't see why Casey thinks that using a PF at the 5 makes us a better team.

The real thing that scares me this year is how he'll use JJ and Ross. If he doesn't give JJ minutes and Ross is still playing SF, were not going far.

Anyways, this is also why teams are trying to add guys that can extend the floor. But mostly, they do this with bench bigs or guys who can play multiple positions.

When GS used Iggy, they were able to have a guy who could guard Lebron enough for them to win. They held him on the perimeter.

I hope Casey's gone shortly. Unless he actually gets his act together, or he secretly is actually on to something, we might have a coach who literally speaks out of his ass. Almost everythign he's said in every interview he's done this summer has made me cringe.

I don't care about his relationships with people, Masai. Losing Demar won't hurt us as much as others think. In fact, it gives us more room to net even better players at multiple positions. Which will make us a better team. It's not all about the core, it's about getting the ring.
                    Axel wrote:
                    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post

What a silly post. No one is asking Jonas to go out and check guards on the perimeter. But he is being asked to defend the pick and roll adequately, to hedge and then recover to his original responsibility. This is something that he didn't do a particularly good job at last season, especially during the fourth quarter when his tank began to empty. You can't make fun of Casey for saying that the trend of the league is going small and more perimeter based near the end of games and then suggest that he should just let JV sit in the middle of the paint on D as a solution.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        not sure which is worse Demar @ 140M + for 5 years or keeping Casey to ensure that signing
                        both
                        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

The Raptors need to make him into what he was meant to be. It's fine to expand his horizons but he needs to become dominate at his strengths if he wants to be an elite center. Keep in mind smaller players won't be able to hold their own with him in the paint either. JV wasn't the problem last season, he was part of the solution. He was the most efficient player on the team.

Winning for a coach isn't a formula. Winning is about being intelligent and inspirational on a level that extracts the maximum production from a player. Winners come in all shapes and forms.

Comment

• The total amusement I have with Casey is he asked JV to get bigger which took away from the very strengths he had prior to becoming a Raptor and which Casey wants JV to have.

Nuts.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                              Skill testing question:

You've got two teams that are diametrically opposite in styles.

Team A is a smallball lineup that shoots only 3s, and against a big lineup, they shoot these at 40%.
                              Team B is a big lineup that shoots only high percentage 2s, and against a smallball lineup, they can shoot 60%.
                              (in other words, both teams score 1.2 points per possession in this situation).

It's late in the game and the score is tied. Assuming each team gets 5 possessions, and there are no turnovers or foul calls, who is more likely to win the game in regulation? Why?

The answer will shock and amaze you! (Highlight below).

There's a slightly higher likelihood that the Team B will win. There's a 44.8% chance of the big team winning, and 43.2% chance of the smallball team winning, and a 12% chance of a tie.

Breaking it down a little more: on five possessions, Team B has a 31.7% of scoring less than 6 points, 34.6% chance of exactly 6, and 33.7% chance of scoring greater than 6.
                              Over the same possessions, Team A has a 33.7% chance of scoring less than 6 points, 34.6% chance of scoring exactly 6, and 31.7% chance of scoring greater than 6.

I'm staring at the math in a spreadsheet and I'm having trouble coming up with a way of putting into easily-explainable terms why this is. Let's put it this way: Both teams have an equal ppp, but for Team A, their ppp is ever so slightly inflated by outcomes at the high end of the spectrum, where they make 4 or 5 threes, but these shots don't actually increase the likelihood of them winning, since they've probably already won the game with the first 3 threes. They produce fewer instances overall where they get to a point where they're likely to win.

This is not's not really about smallball or Casey's quote, more about the way that probabilities work when you're comparing different types of equally efficient offences, especially in late game scenarios. But once I had played around the numbers I had to share it.
                              Is there a single team in the nba that shoots 40% from 3 ?

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                                What a silly post. No one is asking Jonas to go out and check guards on the perimeter. But he is being asked to defend the pick and roll adequately, to hedge and then recover to his original responsibility. This is something that he didn't do a particularly good job at last season, especially during the fourth quarter when his tank began to empty. You can't make fun of Casey for saying that the trend of the league is going small and more perimeter based near the end of games and then suggest that he should just let JV sit in the middle of the paint on D as a solution.
                                Jonas gave up 0.82 PPP against the roll man in pick and roll situations.

Some centers that are considered excellent pick and roll defenders

Dwight Howard: 0.84 PPP
                                TYSON CHANDLER AKA Casey's lover: 0.83 PPP
                                Joakim Noah: 0.78 PPP
                                DeAndre Jordan: 0.94 PPP
                                Andrew Bogut: 1.13 PPP (and for the record Green 0.85 PPP)

Seems like he defends the P&R just fine and actually better than most of these guys. Stop making excuses for Casey benching JV at the end of games it is illogical.

And for the record he defended the P&R better than Amir if only slightly (0.83 PPP)

Stats are from stats.nba.com/playtype

Comment

Working...
                                X