This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some rules to note re: D-League.

There are 5 ways for a D-League team to get players.

First, returning players (teams decide which players they want to keep their rights to). In the 905’s case, it’s an expansion draft on the rights to players that played in the D-League within the past two years (the past two years is also the window for "returning players"). Teams will decide who their returning players are, then the 905 get to assign any of the players not chosen by the other teams as their own returning players.

Second, NBA draft assignees. These guys are guys like Daniels for example to whom the NBA team has draft rights. They can be assigned directly to the team’s affiliate D-League team.

Third, NBA affiliate assignees. NBA teams that cut players in training camp (these players would be signed to a non-guaranteed summer deal and would be waived before the start of the season if they don’t make the NBA roster) can assign their D-League rights directly to their affiliate D-League team. The limit is 4 players for this type of assignment. I expect Roberts to fall into this category, with whatever small guarantee he gets on his NBA summer contract essentially a supplement to his D-League salary.

Fourth, the DL draft. Teams run a draft just like the NBA does, for all players who are not assigned to a team per the above three situations.

Finally, local tryouts can be held to find players to sign, or other players can sign after the draft.

When a player signs a contract, he signs it with the D-League, not his team, and is assigned to a team per the above rules. I’m fuzzy on the rules, as the NBADL CBA is not publicly available like the NBA one, but I’m pretty sure of the following:

Players are paid based on their tier – 25k, 19k or 13k per year, plus living expenses and health care benefits. I believe that any returning players, NBA draft assignees and NBA affiliate assignees would qualify for the top tier. And drafted players would be tiered based on their draft position (or possibly all assigned the 19k tier). While post-draft signings (local tryouts or other) would be relegated to the lowest tier (as an incentive to enter the draft).
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• motion to change thread title to "the inactive roster"
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        motion to change thread title to "the inactive roster"
        Inactive LIST ceez. List.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• $13K is such a hilarious amount to pay a "professional" basketball player. It's the equivalent of a $6.50 per hour job, so under minimum wage. I wonder if there are any plans to increase the salaries in the future now that NBA teams appear to be taking the D-League seriously? Seems like minor league baseball players make crap for the most part too, but there are so many more of them that you'd think the D-League could afford to pay more.

Comment

• Think of the 13k as pocket money, since the teams pays for everything else

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              $13K is such a hilarious amount to pay a "professional" basketball player. It's the equivalent of a $6.50 per hour job, so under minimum wage. I wonder if there are any plans to increase the salaries in the future now that NBA teams appear to be taking the D-League seriously? Seems like minor league baseball players make crap for the most part too, but there are so many more of them that you'd think the D-League could afford to pay more.
              Ya, I don't know about you, but "Plus Living Expenses" would make things alright in my books. If I made $13k on top of all of my living expenses (Rent, Utilities, Food, Metro Pass) that would be ok.. enough to go to the Arcade with anyway.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Inactive LIST ceez. List.
                ROSTER i like roster
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                  Ya, I don't know about you, but "Plus Living Expenses" would make things alright in my books. If I made $13k on top of ALL of my living expenses (Rent, Utilities, Food, Metro Pass) thats alot of spending money to go to the Arcade with.
                  Would depend on the living expenses. It's probably a tiny shit apartment that you share with another player/players, and a tiny food stipend. I doubt the extras add up to anywhere close to the $13K, but I have no idea how much it costs to live in Mississauga.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                    Would depend on the living expenses. It's probably a tiny shit apartment that you share with another player/players, and a tiny food stipend. I doubt the extras add up to anywhere close to the $13K, but I have no idea how much it costs to live in Mississauga.
                    expensive. Mississauga is the French Riviera + Monaco of the GTA

Comment

• So if I was 7 feet tall and had the slightest bit of coordination I would have a free place to live, free food and have extra money to spend on whatever I like?

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                        So if I was 7 feet tall and had the slightest bit of coordination I would have a free place to live, free food and have extra money to spend on whatever I like?
                        Pretty much. And I think the air is a little cleaner up there too

Comment

• Ohh the d league team, thank god I thought this was a thread for local dry sarcam poster raptors999
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Ohh the d league team, thank god I thought this was a thread for local dry sarcam poster raptors999
                            Still don't know why he thinks he's funny

Comment

• Well, do we call em the Raptors or the Fivers?
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                                Still don't know why he thinks he's funny
                                i dont. just like posting

Comment

Working...
                                X