Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many moves are we from title contention?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many moves are we from title contention?

I think we're one major move away. We literally have a war chest of assets at the moment with a ton of young prospects and 4 1st round picks, including one that's projected to go very high next year. Additionally we have several starting-caliber players to potentially include in a deal as well.

I know some people are down on Masai now and think we're treadmilling, but we currently have the asset base as well as a strong enough roster to make the kind of trades that were made by other asset-hoarding GMs like Ainge and Morey for Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and James Harden among others.

Does the one major move occur after DC is fired? We will never contend with DC as our head coach. He is too stubborn and cannot adequately adjust and adapt to changing circumstances.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
      Does the one major move occur after DC is fired? We will never contend with DC as our head coach. He is too stubborn and cannot adequately adjust and adapt to changing circumstances.
      We don't have a contender even if Pop was coaching right now. People need to be more patient with the coaching thing. Once we have a team that we think can compete for the title legitimately, that's when I think Masai will replace Casey (or maybe slightly in advance of that).

Kind of like how GS stuck with Marc Jackson until they were really ready to make a significant run and got someone who would use their assistant coaching staff better and had a more modern-perspective on the NBA.

No point replacing Casey just to replace him and then getting stuck with an equally bad coach. This is basically what the Raptors have done since 1995, so it's time to be patient and make a great hire for once.

Comment

we are most definitely not one move away unless that move is for lebron. we havent even won a single 7 game playoff series yet.
        Last edited by iblastoff; Mon Jul 27, 2015, 11:31 AM.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
          We don't have a contender even if Pop was coaching right now. People need to be more patient with the coaching thing. Once we have a team that we think can compete for the title legitimately, that's when I think Masai will replace Casey (or maybe slightly in advance of that).

Kind of like how GS stuck with Marc Jackson until they were really ready to make a significant run and got someone who would use their assistant coaching staff better and had a more modern-perspective on the NBA.

No point replacing Casey just to replace him and then getting stuck with an equally bad coach. This is basically what the Raptors have done since 1995, so it's time to be patient and make a great hire for once.
          spurs have been winning 50+ games and titles with castoffs and misfit + Duncan. Casey is really bad and Pop is really good. This roster has Casey disaster written all over it

Comment

The draft pick that is projected to go "very high" next year could easily be #10. Remember where Ross and DD were picked?

Three moves minimum.
            1. Absolutely need a higher than average starting PF. Needs to be able to defend and score from at least midrange if not the 3pt line with efficiency.
            2. A passing 3/4 for the bench with a 3pt shot that averages +38%
            3. Either a coach who can reign in DD and KL, or move at least one of them for a better passing player at their position.

Those are the moves but they only work if Casey can provide an inside-out oriented offense, JV improves his passing and court awareness, Ross is average or better coming off the bench and the offense returns to the PNR for 20-25% of it's offensive baskets.

I think the players are in place to improve the defense to top 5-10 again. I think rebounding has improved. I think the bench is 1 or 2 players away from being adequate for a contender.

(Rose coloured glasses Syndrome...no cure)

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
              we are most definitely not one move away unless that move is for lebron. we havent even one a single 7 game playoff series yet.
              Exactly. Win one 7 game playoff series first. That should be an attainable goal.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                spurs have been winning 50+ games and titles with castoffs and misfit + Duncan. Casey is really bad and Pop is really good. This roster has Casey disaster written all over it
                So because Manu and Parker were drafted by the Spurs, they're misfits and Kahwi was acquired in trade he's a castoff? That seem to be what you're implying.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  So because Manu and Parker were drafted by the Spurs, they're misfits and Kahwi was acquired in trade he's a castoff? That seem to be what you're implying.
                  Playoff teams can handle 1-2 players, good ones 3. The Greens and the Diaws are the difference. OKC can match up all three Spurs stars yet can't beat the Spurs because secondary players kill them. Every good Western team is 2-3 deep

Comment

That's the first time I've ever heard the Spurs described as castoffs and misfits + Duncan and Pops.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Two moves away from being two moves away....

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                        Playoff teams can handle 1-2 players, good ones 3. The Greens and the Diaws are the difference. OKC can match up all three Spurs stars yet can't beat the Spurs because secondary players kill them. Every good Western team is 2-3 deep
                        Most Finals winners have an MVP-level talent plus a couple other current All-Star-level talent. Often 2 or 3 of these guys are future HoF'ers. In a given season a lot of "contenders" aren't really, imho. There are several 50-win, deep playoff teams that don' really have a solid chance to win the title (barring about 15 variables breaking their way). A quick glance through the list of title winners shows how few teams are actually legitimate contenders.

Even Lebron James can't do it if his next best player is Mo Williams or Tristan Thompson. Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka haven't been able to do, Harden/Howard can't do it, Paul/Griffin/Jordan can't do it, 4 Atlanta All-Stars in a supersystem can't do it, hell, half the time the Spurs can't do it.

It would be nice to think the Raptors are one move away, but that guy would have to be Durant or Lebron and even then, I don't know. You'd get to the third or fourth round for sure, maybe Lebron would win you the Finals vs. the best team in the West, but I don't think anybody else would.
                        Last edited by S.R.; Mon Jul 27, 2015, 11:45 AM.
                        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

kind of? manu was what? the 56th pick or something? and parker was mid-20s pick. i wouldn't consider kawhi a castoff though, as indiana were pretty high on him for sure, and at the time the george hill trade was seen as a win for both teams.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                            kind of? manu was what? the 56th pick or something? and parker was mid-20s pick. i wouldn't consider kawhi a castoff though, as indiana were pretty high on him for sure, and at the time the george hill trade was seen as a win for both teams.
                            My point was the Spurs were a lot more than castoffs and misfits + Duncan. One great player alone gets you nowhere. Even if Pops is the coach.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                              I think we're one major move away. We literally have a war chest of assets at the moment with a ton of young prospects and 4 1st round picks, including one that's projected to go very high next year. Additionally we have several starting-caliber players to potentially include in a deal as well.

I know some people are down on Masai now and think we're treadmilling, but we currently have the asset base as well as a strong enough roster to make the kind of trades that were made by other asset-hoarding GMs like Ainge and Morey for Kevin Garnett, Ray Allen, and James Harden among others.
                              It's impossible to say. It can be as few as one if everything lined up at the right time.

Comment

Working...
                              X