Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will this be a make-or-break season for our "core"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JWash wrote: View Post
    Lol if DeMar starts shooting high 30s from 3 and takes 6-8 a game (meaning he'd be at 200-250 3PT made in the season) he's a keeper? Well I'll be.... the requirement to keep DD is for him to become a superstar? Looks like he's gone then lmfao
    Math says he would be making 2 or possibly 3 shots per game off of 6 to 8 attempts which is about 195 made 3's off of 525 to 535 shots for a full year.. If he can do that and keep getting to the FT line then he warrants the 20M plus he will ask for.
    This doesnt make him a Superstar and not in Hardens class but it does justify the term and valuation of the deal he wants.

If the decision is to move on without him it will be hard to replace him in the short term.

Why are u laughing your ass off ? Its a player valuation call and its a tough one not as simple as u make it out to be....
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Not sure if serious....JH is better than DD in every facet of the (offensive) game. Bruh.
      A 3pt shot like that would be a very potent weapon for Demar, would open things up for him and the team much much more. He barely shoots 38% from the floor, imagine what his game could be like if he were to do that behind the arc. I agree Harden is the better player, but hard to say how good Demar would be with a shot like that. He'd be in the conversation without a doubt.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
        You're suggesting Demar add 10 percentage points (or thereabouts) to his 3pt shot after a single offseason as justification to retaining him. May as well move him now then, cause that is incredibly lofty expectations. See, if Demar hits ~ 38% of his 3's on 6-8 shots per game he will, if used properly of course, likely be the best SG in basketball and certainly all NBA. He would probably be better than Harden. He would be worth that 25M+ contract most of us fear we will get. And that's fine, cause if he can become a great 3pt shooter than I would be fine with paying him top dollar. But I just don't see it as a necessary prerequisite for retaining him because I think it's completely unrealistic.

As far as 3pt shooting goes, I feel Demar should limit his takes to catch and shoots (no off the dribble 3's please) from the corners. Get consistent at that and then maybe try and expand the range around the arc. More importantly, I feel Derozan should prioritize ball handling, vision, play making, and decision making/court awareness before 3pt shooting. IF he is going to continue to have the ball in his hands and be expected to make plays. IF the team is going to move away from Demar being a ball handler, then I can understand the desire for a much improved 3pt shot. But, we don't have many ball handlers on the team, and only one in the starting unit, so I expect Demar will get the ball often. Be a better dribbler, keep his head up, and make better plays. Fewer bad shots, more distribution...if he's gonna handle the ball this is what should be expected from him. I fear his practicing may just result in more off the dribble 3's if he prioritizes distance shooting. And I really think this team, as a whole, would be much better if Demar limited his 3pt shots to catch and shoots. That would mean others (like JV) are getting more touches and that the offence is being spread out more (not in terms of who takes the shot, but how the shot is generated...i.e. more players more often need to touch the ball and be involved in the play action).
        If he could improve by 7 to 10 % pts on his 3 point shooting it would make him that much better a player. DD is a gym rat and has the perseverance to stick with it to become a better long ball shooter. IF he can add this to his game both he and the team as a whole become a lot tougher to handle.

I think improving his 3pt shooting through endless reps is something that is more easily done than improving his ball handling and dribbling skills (though he gave it a try last summer.)
        He certainly has incentive to do it.. .to the tune of about 10 to 12 million dollars more a year and he has the mental make up to do it as well. Practice Practice Practice is not new to DeRozan. If he can turn this corner and raise his shooting perecentage to mid 30's or better on corner 3's or from a favourite spot on the arc I don't think its material if he does it via catch and shoot or off the dribble. He will have earned his extension at pretty serious money. If he can't get there its a tough call for the GM either at the trade deadline or in FA on his valuation within the salary scale.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

What is make in make or break?

If this team wins 50, keep everybody. Draft well.

2017, big players in FA with Lowry and Patterson off the books. We sign the superstar. Blake Griffin, Westbrook, Ibaka, etc.

2018, championship.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            What is make in make or break?

If this team wins 50, keep everybody. Draft well.

2017, big players in FA with Lowry and Patterson off the books. We sign the superstar. Blake Griffin, Westbrook, Ibaka, etc.

2018, championship.
            so you are content with just 50 wins?

That is a low bar.

Give me playoff success, this team has failed twice, and humiliated last season. That was the end of this "core" they shouldnt get a third try to possibly advance past the first round.

Comment

I consider JV as the only "core" piece on the team.

This season will make or break him depending on how much he sits on the bench. For the past 2 seasons he has been in need of reps and opportunity and it is time we invest in him.

Since he is a team first, hard working, coachable guy (ala Duncan-like)...he is a guy you build around from a cultural standpoint. He also happens to be one of the better centers in the league. So imo the "core" should be locked in for a while regardless (5 more seasons)

I think this season is telling for our supporting cast to the core (ie DD/Lowry/Carroll/Ross/)

Comment

Working...
              X