Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Cory Joseph a starting caliber point guard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Joseph is there yet and will need a season and an injury to prove otherwise.
    Last edited by Apollo; Thu Aug 6, 2015, 10:49 AM. Reason: Removed comment tied to DeRozan. Oops. ;)

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      I don't think Joseph is there yet and will need a season and an injury to prove otherwise.
      He will get the chance to show it this season imo.

Lowry will miss some games...

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
        He will get the chance to show it this season imo.

Lowry will miss some games...
        Won't be adequate though.

Even Jerryd Bayless looked like a legit starter at times when Jose was out.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post

I didnt think so.

7-10 games as a starter, add that to what we know of him as a backup and you can get a pretty good idea if it is reasonable or not.

If he defends, shoots and passes and the same rates wiith the increased minutes then one can reasonably safely assume that it will maintain.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post

To be fair, when Bayless started he was actually one of the better PG's in the East

Unfortunately Casey had a huge Jose crush and nailed Bayless to the bench even if he was playing well

Comment

Whoah, I do not agree. He was an average, lower tier PG and if he was a legit starter he would have stayed instead of bouncing around to seven different teams and about to wash out of the league. He's more likely to find a starting gig in Europe than finding a long term meaningful role in the NBA at this point.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                To be fair, when Bayless started he was actually one of the better PG's in the East

Unfortunately Casey had a huge Jose crush and nailed Bayless to the bench even if he was playing well
                Did Casey even coach Bayless. I thought that was during Triano's tenure
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                  I didnt think so.

7-10 games as a starter, add that to what we know of him as a backup and you can get a pretty good idea if it is reasonable or not.

If he defends, shoots and passes and the same rates wiith the increased minutes then one can reasonably safely assume that it will maintain.
                  He would have to play out of his mind to take gig away from Lowry. Especially slimmed down lowry.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    He would have to play out of his mind to take gig away from Lowry. Especially slimmed down lowry.
                    i am not saying that, but he could make Lowry expendable.

And playing out of his mind, I dont think it is unreasonable to have another point guard perform similarly to Lowry, at least in terms of overall impact.

Comment

I think if CoJo ever makes Lowry expendable, it will be two summers from now when the Raptors will need to make a free agency decision on Lowry. And it won't be based on CoJo being better than Lowry (Lowry's awesome), but being good enough that a potential upgrade via a star signing at a different position would cover the drop from Lowry to CoJo (especially with age and potential decline taken into account).
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        I think if CoJo ever makes Lowry expendable, it will be two summers from now when the Raptors will need to make a free agency decision on Lowry. And it won't be based on CoJo being better than Lowry (Lowry's awesome), but being good enough that a potential upgrade via a star signing at a different position would cover the drop from Lowry to CoJo (especially with age and potential decline taken into account).
                        This is my thinking as well. When Lowry's contract is up we let him walk because CoJo and Wright will be ready to take over the starter and backup jobs. As it is now, we have some of the best depth at PG in Raps history, which is great because lack of PG depth was a big weakness of the team last year.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                          This is my thinking as well. When Lowry's contract is up we let him walk because CoJo and Wright will be ready to take over the starter and backup jobs. As it is now, we have some of the best depth at PG in Raps history, which is great because lack of PG depth was a big weakness of the team last year.
                          To be fair, all the PGs usually spent a fair on the court at the same time. Or at least, 2 at a time.
                          Last edited by Just Is; Fri Aug 7, 2015, 11:13 AM.
                          "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                          "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                            To be fair, all the PGs usually spent a fair on the court at the same time. Or at least, 2 at a time.
                            Which made the depth problem worse in my eyes. When KL and GV were on the court at the same time, whose on the bench that can come in for them when they get tired? The answer last season was no one. At least if KL and CoJo are on the court together we'll still have Wright on the bench ready to spell one of them.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              Which made the depth problem worse in my eyes. When KL and GV were on the court at the same time, whose on the bench that can come in for them when they get tired? The answer last season was no one. At least if KL and CoJo are on the court together we'll still have Wright on the bench ready to spell one of them.
                              Oh, I was definitely agreeing with you. Simply better roster management for that position would have helped tremendously and I just don't have enough confidence in Casey that that would change this year.

Except that due to Wright being a rookie, that might help keep him on the bench.
                              "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
                              "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Working...
                              X