2015/16 Eastern Conference projections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DDelight wrote: View Post
    I thought I remembered quite a bit of Raptors fans online complaining that we have "no bench" now that we lost GV and Lou and with PPat moving to the starting lineup.
    That was probably before all the moves were done.

From my perspective...

PP < Amir (PP is better in some ways, worse in others, but healthy)

Carroll >> Ross

Joseph >> Vasquez

Ross > Lou

Scola < Patterson (totally different style player in completely remade 2nd unit, so hard to truly compare)

Biyombo > Hansbrough (as a backup C)

Wright + Powell >>> Fields + Hayes (actually have a 3rd PG on the roster)

Comment

If you give creedence to the theory that you have to be above average at every position to be a contender then the Raps are better off than last year. We still have the question at PF and are that one impact player away from being talked about as a threat to get to the ECF.

2014-15 2015-16

Centre - JV was Average at best ast year.. This year he can be slightly above to above Average if he finds a second post move and rebounds) this year.
      PF - Amir - Slightly Below Average last year ... PPat - Below Average this year. good shooting but not enough rebounding and bulk to hold up against the Gasol's and Zbo's
      At SF Ross was below Average last year... This year D.Carroll gives us a a player that is above Average at this spot...
      SG + PG both Kyle and Demar were and remain above average at these positions compared to the rest of the players in the league

Bench..harder to comapre like for like...

Scola replaces Hansbrough... makes us better but we are still below or at league average with Scola compared to other backup PF's off the bench.

Joseph replaces Grevis..... he is faster and a better defender but not as good on offensive end.... probably league average as a backup PG .. so we are the same as last year with General GV... but in longer view we are better with Cujo ...

Byiombo replaces Hayes as backup C.... Big Improvement here... wash on offense even with Bismak's iron hands as Chuck wasn't much of worry for other teams around the basket.. but we are now much more mobile, have some shot blocking and better rebounding with the Chancellor over the Chuckster... Bismak is prolly better than league average as a backup C

Ross replaces Lou ... from my view a wash. Ross even with 1 rebound a game will be far better than Lou ... As much as we rag on Ross's defense he will be far better than Lou was. Lou pulls even on his offense... If and its a big if Ross can consistently put up 12pts and 4 rebs per game this year off the bench then we will have improved over Lou. We are still below league average as a backup SG position though.

The herd ... Stiemsma/Fields/Bebe/Bruno/JJ last year vs Bebe/Bruno/Wright/Powell/JJ this year...
      This years herd is better.

Overall team is better than last years group and has more room to grow as the steamer/chuck/landry/hansbro/gv had reached their ceilings.
      Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Aug 20, 2015, 03:19 PM.
      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
      - TGO

Comment

Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
        If you give creedence to the theory that you have to be above average at every position to be a contender then the Raps are better off than last year. We still have the question at PF and are that one impact player away from being talked about as a threat to get to the ECF.

2014-15 2015-16

Centre - JV was Average at best ast year.. This year he can be slightly above to above Average if he finds a second post move and rebounds) this year.
        PF - Amir - Slightly Below Average last year ... PPat - Below Average this year. good shooting but not enough rebounding and bulk to hold up against the Gasol's and Zbo's
        At SF Ross was below Average last year... This year D.Carroll gives us a a player that is above Average at this spot...
        SG + PG both Kyle and Demar were and remain above average at these positions compared to the rest of the players in the league

Bench..harder to comapre like for like...

Scola replaces Hansbrough... makes us better but we are still below or at league average with Scola compared to other backup PF's off the bench.

Joseph replaces Grevis..... he is faster and a better defender but not as good on offensive end.... probably league average as a backup PG .. so we are the same as last year with General GV... but in longer view we are better with Cujo ...

Byiombo replaces Hayes as backup C.... Big Improvement here... wash on offense even with Bismak's iron hands as Chuck wasn't much of worry for other teams around the basket.. but we are now much more mobile, have some shot blocking and better rebounding with the Chancellor over the Chuckster... Bismak is prolly better than league average as a backup C

Ross replaces Lou ... from my view a wash. Ross even with 1 rebound a game will be far better than Lou ... As much as we rag on Ross's defense he will be far better than Lou was. Lou pulls even on his offense... If and its a big if Ross can consistently put up 12pts and 4 rebs per game this year off the bench then we will have improved over Lou. We are still below league average as a backup SG position though.

The herd ... Stiemsma/Fields/Bebe/Bruno/JJ last year vs Bebe/Bruno/Wright/Powell/JJ this year...
        This years herd is better.

Overall team is better than last years group and has more room to grow as the steamer/chuck/landry/hansbro/gv had reached their ceilings.
        Good stuff.

We have a lot more depth as a team but I still see us running into the same problems of last year of teams that are far better coached and more talented than the group of guys we've got beating us. I do like how our team is filling out moving forward though. We're headed in the right direction as a whole but don't be surprised if we burn out at the end of the season or we disappoint again in the playoffs.
        Last edited by BS10; Fri Aug 21, 2015, 06:41 PM.
        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

I am curious how well the bucks will do. Can kidd hide Vasquez defensive issues better than Casey. ??
          Also interested in Boston with the veteran additions of Amir and Lee will this impact there youthful chemistry although both are high character fellows.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            That was probably before all the moves were done.

From my perspective...

PP < Amir (PP is better in some ways, worse in others, but healthy)

Carroll >> Ross

Joseph >> Vasquez

Ross > Lou

Scola < Patterson (totally different style player in completely remade 2nd unit, so hard to truly compare)

Biyombo > Hansbrough (as a backup C)

Wright + Powell >>> Fields + Hayes (actually have a 3rd PG on the roster)
            Jeezus I just read this today and it is a whole lot easier to comprehend as presented than my long missive. Seems I agree with you on the whole. Next time I will use >> or +'s and -'s to illustrate points.
            - TGO

Comment

Jeezus I just read this today and it is a whole lot easier to comprehend as presented than my long missive. Seems I agree with you on the whole. Next time I will use >> or +'s and -'s to illustrate points.
              I usually write extensive paragraphs, so it was a refreshing change for me. lol

Comment

BS10 wrote: View Post
                Good stuff.

We have a lot more depth as a team but I still see us running into the same problems of last year of teams that are far better coached and more talented than the group of guys we've got beating us. I do like how our team is filling out moving forward though. We're headed in the right direction as a whole but don't be surprised if burn out at the end of the season or we disappoint again in the playoffs.
                I too believe we are in really good shape going forward. This off season we got younger but somehow stayed experienced at the same time. No small feat that was. We got better at a quite a few positions. SF stands out but our backcourt overall is a lot better than last years edition. We are bigger and faster in the backcourt. Our overall depth of skill is better with the players 8 through 13, guys I called the herd. We don't have an impact player yet but the supporting cast is looking good and will help in landing that first Tier 1 free agent.

With all that youth comes the chance for someone to come out nowhere and become a difference maker. It could be Wright or Powell or Bebe or Joseph or god forbid a motivated Terrence Ross. JV could make the jump to above average that gives us a dependable post player that we haven't had since Antonio Davis's run. Maybe Bebe gets a crack at it and becomes the Brazillian Marcus Camby. Its sports and you just never know.

Not in the camp of popular sentiment that Dwane is holding us back. He isn't Pop (who is ?) but he isn't the dumbass most portray him to be. He has got some players now to play the game the way he wants to play it and the pipeline of talent is only going to improve with those 4 1st rounders being used to get another starter at PF via trade or through the draft.

Like the way Ujiri has gone about building a team far more than the Hinkie way. We win and still see the pipeline of talent coming.
                - TGO

Comment

You don't really think Ross is better than Lou?
                  Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                  Because its 2015

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                    Yea that was the only thing I raised an eyebrow to. Lou Williams is the reigning 6th man of the year. With the way Ross played last season he couldn't have even come close to an award like that. Lou is better (now) but Ross is more what the Raptors need (i.e. someone who won't overshoot)

Comment

Yea that was the only thing I raised an eyebrow to. Lou Williams is the reigning 6th man of the year. With the way Ross played last season he couldn't have even come close to an award like that. Lou is better (now) but Ross is more what the Raptors need (i.e. someone who won't overshoot)
                      For the sake of argument, SMoY is an award for being the best guy not good enough to start (in most cases). Ross was good enough to start AND was given the toughest perimeter match-up every night while Lou basically plays at one end of the court. I love Lou, but guys relegated to career 6th men usually have deep flaws in their game, even if they also have a lot of flash.
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                        For the sake of argument, SMoY is an award for being the best guy not good enough to start (in most cases). Ross was good enough to start AND was given the toughest perimeter match-up every night while Lou basically plays at one end of the court. I love Lou, but guys relegated to career 6th men usually have deep flaws in their game, even if they also have a lot of flash.
                        Ross was not good enough to start, he started out of lack of a better option (at least in Casey's eyes, JJ wasn't one).

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                          I think its a wash between Lou and Ross. Every rebound Ross gets over 1 is an improvement over Lou. Regardless of what we think of Ross's intensity on defense it will be better than what Lou could ever do. Lou and defense are like me and calculus. Just not happening. Not then, not now, not ever. Same with Lou and man defense.

Where Lou draws even in this compare is his ability to score and to get the foul line. Ross so far as shown no ability to draw fouls and while he can make the corner 3 he can't get his own shot like Sweet Lou could.

If TRoss could give us 25 minutes a night of good defense, average 3 or 4 or more boards AND average 10-12 pts a night he would get the nod as an improvement over Lou. If not...I see it as a wash. Ross could improve on offense and defense with a leap in giveashit quotient. Lou is at his ceiling right now.
                          Last edited by Demographic Shift; Fri Aug 21, 2015, 11:05 PM.
                          - TGO

Comment

I think Motivations matter.

The team has re-tooled. It's Masai's team now. I think that matters. A lot.

Masai has brought in guys from winning programs. With reputations as hard-workers. Given them good pay-days. So they've got things to prove.

... And so has Jonas. So has DeMar. So has Kyle. So has T-Ross.

#ProveEm

It's no longer "wait-and-see" time, for Masai. It's time to perform. Experienced assistant coaches have been brought in. Better defenders have been brought in. So it's on Casey. You know that. He knows that.

I think motivation matters. And the Eastern conference is wide open. Again. It's the Cavs ... and everybody else. Maybe the Raptors.

I can't predict the final four playoff spots. But I think the top four are:

Cleveland: ... 65 - 17
                            Toronto: .......53 - 29
                            Chicago: .......51 - 31
                            Atlanta: ........45 - 37

(Speaking of things to prove, while they'll have to rest their stars during the regular season, Miami will be "all-in", I think. Maybe dangerous in the playoffs, if healthy. I think they're right with Atlanta during the season.)

Oh ... and it's our all-star year. How many will we have? Three? In a year when it is clearly time to prove, to the most-desirable free agents, that Toronto, and Canada, are preferred destinations? Now is that time, boys. It's on Masai. It's on Casey. And it's on each and every one of you.

Motivation matters. At least I think it does. I hope it does.

GO RAPS!!
                            Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Sat Aug 22, 2015, 01:11 AM.

Comment

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/inside...-brooklyn-nets

Not sure if this has been posted yet

Comment

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
                                I think Motivations matter.

The team has re-tooled. It's Masai's team now. I think that matters. A lot.

Masai has brought in guys from winning programs. With reputations as hard-workers. Given them good pay-days. So they've got things to prove.

... And so has Jonas. So has DeMar. So has Kyle. So has T-Ross.

#ProveEm

It's no longer "wait-and-see" time, for Masai. It's time to perform. Experienced assistant coaches have been brought in. Better defenders have been brought in. So it's on Casey. You know that. He knows that.

I think motivation matters. And the Eastern conference is wide open. Again. It's the Cavs ... and everybody else. Maybe the Raptors.

I can't predict the final four playoff spots. But I think the top four are:

Cleveland: ... 65 - 17
                                Toronto: .......53 - 29
                                Chicago: .......51 - 31
                                Atlanta: ........45 - 37

(Speaking of things to prove, while they'll have to rest their stars during the regular season, Miami will be "all-in", I think. Maybe dangerous in the playoffs, if healthy. I think they're right with Atlanta during the season.)

Oh ... and it's our all-star year. How many will we have? Three? In a year when it is clearly time to prove, to the most-desirable free agents, that Toronto, and Canada, are preferred destinations? Now is that time, boys. It's on Masai. It's on Casey. And it's on each and every one of you.

Motivation matters. At least I think it does. I hope it does.

GO RAPS!!
                                Yup, it's still the lead-up to 'the big push', but the new era is imminently here. go raps indeed

Comment

Working...
                                X