Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legacy League Match #14 - VOTE for the winner!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy League Match #14 - VOTE for the winner!!

The legacy league was created to pit teams drafted by fellow RR members against each other and allow the general RR populous to vote on who would win this winner take all, single elimination game if all players were at their peak performance.

Each team drafted an 8 man roster. Each team provided a gameplan justification as to why they believe they should get your vote. Each team is allowed 1 post for "in game adjustments." The role of RR community is simple, vote for who you believe should win. Post justification if you want (encouraged) and weigh the pros and cons for all to see, but ultimately, your vote decides who will win this tournament of legends.

DanH Lineup

PG - John Wall - 2015 All-Defensive 2nd team
    SG - Clyde "The Glide" Drexler - 10x allstar, retired with 20.4 PPG
    SF - Scottie Pippen - 8x All-Defensive 1st team
    PF - Dennis Rodman - 2x Defensive Player of the Year, 7x All-Defensive 1st team
    C - David Robinson - 4x All-Defensive 1st team
    Bench - Marc Gasol - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
    Bench - Andre Iguodala - 2014 All-Defensive 1st team
    Bench - Joe Dumars - 4x All-Defensive 1st team

Mack11 Starting 5
    PG - Dwane Wade - 3x All-Defensive 2nd team, Finals MVP, 3x NBA Champ
    SG - "Pistol" Pete Maravich - 2x All-NBA 1st team, '77 Scoring champ
    SF - Tracy McGrady - 2x scoring champ, 2x All-NBA 1st team
    PF - Chris Bosh - 10x All-Star, 2x NBA Champ
    C - Kareem Abdul Jabar - 6x MVP, 5x All-Defensive 1st team, All-time leading scorer

Bench - Adrian Dantley - 2x scoring champ, 6x All-Star
    Bench - Carmelo Anthony - 2x All-NBA 2nd team, 4x All-NBA 3rd team
    Bench - Demarcus Cousins - 2015 All-Star avg 24.1 PPG, 12.7 RPG, 1.8 BPG

DanH Gameplan

Offence: After losing the first round at least partly because voters thought I had too little ball movement in the starting lineup, I'll be running John Wall out at point - he's an above average defender, great passer (last year had an assist rate in line with Chris Paul's career average), can run pick and roll, can shoot from distance when open, and can beat pretty much every guy on Mack11's team with speed every possession. Meanwhile, Mack's only real defensive presence inside is Kareem - and he'll have his hands entirely full with the wide array of weapons at the Admiral's disposal. Chris Bosh keeping Rodman off the boards; Melo stopping Pippen; TMac keeping Clyde the Glide out of the lane - all laughable concepts. Even DWade, who is a solid defender, doesn't stand a chance against the speed of Wall. Throw in a great scoring and defensive guard off the bench in Dumars, along with Gasol and Iggy as facilitators, floor spreaders and defenders to fit with any of the higher octane guys (Pippen, Clyde, Wall, Robinson) from the starting lineup, and I think every variation of this lineup has no trouble scoring on Mack's team.

Defence: This is the easy part - yes, Mack has loads of good individual scorers, but they are all matched up with above average to elite defenders, with more elite defenders ready off the bench, and none are great at sharing the ball. Taking on the defensive lineup I have with an ISO-ball set of offensive players is a disaster waiting to happen - Wall and Clyde can hold their own, while Rodman and Pippen will lock down whoever they are assigned to on any given possession, with the Admiral keeping Kareem from taking over. And any sign of his guards going off means Iggy and Dumars off the bench - and there isn't much letdown off the bench with Marc Gasol anchoring the defence there.

Essentially this is a contest of styles - my team passes a LOT (check each of my players' assist rates relative to their position, you can reference my last match for the numbers if you wish) and does the dirty work defensively and on the boards (where my team would absolutely dominate), while Mack's team is a bunch of me-first high octane scorers. And my team can still score - it's just not all they can do.

Mack11 Gameplan

DanH team is lacking spacing, were gonna pack the paint and dare his team to beat us from outside . Dumars is the only reliable long range shooter on his entire squad. Im also gonna put Wade on Drexler and Pistol Pete on Dumars. Wade is better equipped to handle someone like Drexler. On O were running in transition to open up the floor for my many scorers I got on my team. One thing I will say is that DanH has a bunch of good defenders. In the half court were going into Kareem as the 1st option and then have Wade/Maravich/TMAC/ play off of him with Bosh burning anyone who helps off him. When Kareem sits we can still run the same halfcourt O with Cousins in the middle and with Melo playing the 4.

In Game Adjustments - Coming Soon!

So RR faithful, who wins this game?
    DanH's legends
    80.00%
    Mack11's Legends
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

This one has got Dan all over it, even before the adjustments IMO.

Moving Wall to the starting lineup was a good move.

Scottie on Tracy is a wash IMO as Tracy was just dominate offensively, and Robinson/Pistol

As of right now DanH has the lead because Rodman Negates Bosh offensively, and Wade cannot come close to guarding Wall.

Comment

Another really close one. I really like Mack11's lineup and firepower, but I had to give it to DanH with the superior D he has aboard his squad.

lol forgot the adjustments... did I vote too early?

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
        Another really close one. I really like Mack11's lineup and firepower, but I had to give it to DanH with the superior D he has aboard his squad.

lol forgot the adjustments... did I vote too early?
        maybe....

Comment

Team DanH --- John Wall, Drexler, Pippen, Robinson, this is a beast group in transition, but I agree with Mack11 here, this team is in a pretty bad place as far as shooting. They'll have spacing issues in halfcourt and end up with a lot of poor shots. Great defense, obviously, and they will win rebounds.

Team Mack11 -- I think this team has more talent, more shooting, more size, pretty solid defense. I think this team could use a few less chuckers / ball stoppers.

Maravich reminds me of old Kobe pre-Achilles, can score everywhere in a lot of ways, but no defense, can handle, can take over offensively, can pass but doesn't pass enough; willing passer in transition, no passing in halfcourt; better shooter than Kobe, but a bigger black hole. So basically, he's nice here for shooting ability and for transition, but I think the defense would look much better to me without him, and he's bound to take some bad shots. I'd love Billups or Conley or whatever two way, well shooting point guard on this team instead of him.

Still, while Team Mack11 has some natural chuckers, Team DanH will also do their share of chucking simply because they will have spacing problems and will have to rely on long 2s a lot. Team Mack11's defensive gameplan is to stop penetration to the rim, and they do have a beast rim protector and overall a good defensive team, despite Maravich, so I think it should work pretty well.

I think Team Mack11 has advantage in halfcourt. The question to me is, can Dan's transition offense make up for it?

I'll go with talent and better halfcourt offense here, and I pick Mack11. But I could see it going both ways.

Comment

Dan's team still can't shoot, Rodman on Bosh means Rodman's out of position for defensive boards and Wade can post up Wall with no issues.

I wanna see Dan's adjustments

Comment

I like both teams, I can't vote on this one
              #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

My adjustments/counter arguments:

1) Spacing: Robinson 40% from midrange at the end of his career when they tracked that and he had the lowest FG%'s of his career, Pippen 37% from 3 on 5 attempts per game in his peak, Drexler shot 32-33% from 3 on 3 shots a game over two seasons in his peak (the only seasons he focused on the three, just wasn't the way the game was played then), Wall has been spotty but shot over 30% from 3 both the last two years (including 35% the year before last) on 2-3 attempts per game, Dumars was a 38% shooter on close to 5 a game, Iggy the last two years has been a 35% shooter on 3 a game (and a 39% shooter his all-star year) and Marc Gasol is another dominant midrange big (45%+). You want to give me a point per possession by packing the paint, I'll take it and run - my defence is more than good enough to get me the win on that output, and frankly all those guys should shoot better than that if they are wide open. And that's a PPP in the half court - with my defence and rebounding (which comes from all 5 guys, not just Rodman, so the Bosh effect isn't huge there) are going to get me a LOT of transition baskets, especially with Wall pushing the ball.

2) Defence: Running your offence through Kareem - a guy who never once in his life broke the 20 AST% mark in spite of carrying high-20's usage rates his entire career - is exactly what my defence feeds off, stagnant ball movement and you trying to score one on one against 4x All-Defence 1st team David Robinson. If you look to post Wade on Wall, well, Wade is 6'4", 212 lbs and Wall is 6'4", 195 lbs so he can hold his own, and even in the event he has trouble, I can switch him onto Pistol and have Clyde (6'7", 210 lbs) or Dumars (6'3", 190 lbs, 4x All-Defence 1st Team) handle Wade, or even bring in Iggy if needed.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The difference in this one for me is Scottie Pippen. I truly believe that if Pippen were drafted into his own team he could have been every bit the player that Lebron James is. Pippen was THAT good in my opinion. Combined with David Robinson (great counter to Kareem), and John Wall (gotta be one of my favourite PGs of all time at this point), this is CLOSE, but I had to choose, so I went with Dan because of Defense; his spacing scares me, but having Wall helps a lot, as Wall will just find you where you need to be.. MACK has no one to facilitate all of those shots his team would need.

Great match up though.

Comment

My mom's favourite player was Scottie Pippen and she even bought his black AIR uptempo sneakers, if you guys remember those. I'm going to go with DanH for that reason.
                    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Sorry I missed this one guys. I was on vacation most of last week with limited connectivity.

Congrats to Dan and good luck to you both.

Comment

Working...
                      X