No announcement yet.

Anybody still have faith in Terrence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ross is what he is, sadly. Small skinny guards with shitty work ethic don't break out in year 4 at 25 years old.

He's a solid 8th man off the bench. Streaky scorer that you can put in when the offense is sucking, but could also get some DNP-CD on a contender.

Hed work great on a lebron team or a spurs or hawks. Stand in the corner and shoot. The spurs could probably turn him into danny green.s of now he's basically prime steve novak.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
      Ross is what he is, sadly. Small skinny guards with shitty work ethic don't break out in year 4 at 25 years old.

He's a solid 8th man off the bench. Streaky scorer that you can put in when the offense is sucking, but could also get some DNP-CD on a contender.

Hed work great on a lebron team or a spurs or hawks. Stand in the corner and shoot. The spurs could probably turn him into danny green.s of now he's basically prime steve novak.
      Shitty work ethic is purely speculation.

I have yet to find any evidence that he slacks off with any of that. As opposed to posting constant pics etc to social media.....

Comment

The argument is made that Ross plays out of position at the 3 spot but he really does not possess a skill set that would make him valuable as a 2 guard either. I can't see him playing a ball handling role in a 2 man game with a big, nor would I feel comfortable with him being the secondary ball handler under pressure. The guy was a legit 6'6" in flat feet, 6'7" NBA height, he is a small forward, it just sucks for him that he does not have the wing span (or weight) of other guys his height, Kawhi, MKG as recent examples.

He is what he is, I just don't see him improving much if any.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Ross is the unwanted step child.

Ever since Colangelo threw his arms up in the air and said, "Pfffft! Take who you want Dwane!" after Lillard and Barnes were off the board, it is pretty clear his worth in Casey's eyes.
          Colangelo went for the safe pick and picked Ross 8th overall over Drummond (picked 9th). Its clear then and now that nobody had Ross that high on the drafting board and he isn't nor wasn't a top 10 player (somewhere around 15th draft pick position was his true draft value and remains to be his true value when you compare to who got drafted in that draft). What Colangelo hoped for was to plug holes in the SG/SF backup role in the short term and hope Ross would be a steal in that position in the near future and elevate his game but in actuality he is what he was projected to be.

So in conclusion the people who lost faith in Terrence Ross are the people who had faith of him being a bonafide NBA starter and got disappointed that he wasn't. In the word's of Dennis Green epic rant "you wanna crown them?! then crown their ass!! but they are who we thought they were!!" Therefore I have no problem in Ross being a backup and I would caution that the same cautious attitude should be applied to Cory Joseph who some people already projected to be our future starter!

Last edited by Hotshot; Wed Aug 26, 2015, 03:48 PM.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
            Terrence Ross catches way too much flak around here.
            You'd would think he was a cancer at this point.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
              You'd would think he was a cancer at this point.
              He isn't no Cancer but rabid Raptor fans drooling over his Vince Carter like abilities/potential were bound to be disappointed as if they are a religious group waiting for the second coming of Christ as their next savior and when finally a guy who looks and acts like him shows up (has a nice shooting stroke + amazing dunking ability) but without the miracles (inconsistent jumpshot, poor handles that prevents him to dunk in traffic and no D) then they turn against him and burn him at the stake!

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                He isn't no Cancer but rabid Raptor fans drooling over his Vince Carter like abilities/potential were bound to be disappointed as if they are a religious group waiting for the second coming of Christ as their next savior and when finally a guy who looks and acts like him shows up (has a nice shooting stroke + amazing dunking ability) but without the miracles (inconsistent jumpshot, poor handles that prevents him to dunk in traffic and no D) then they turn against him and burn him at the stake!
                It probably has a lot to do with his body language. He sulks like a 12 year old when coach talks to him. Then you look at the fire in the eyes of lowry, derozan and JV, ross usually seems like hed rather be playing madden at his swanky condo.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

i have faith in TRoss this year, don't have faith in him after this year.
                  Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                  Because its 2015

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                    The argument is made that Ross plays out of position at the 3 spot but he really does not possess a skill set that would make him valuable as a 2 guard either. I can't see him playing a ball handling role in a 2 man game with a big, nor would I feel comfortable with him being the secondary ball handler under pressure. The guy was a legit 6'6" in flat feet, 6'7" NBA height, he is a small forward, it just sucks for him that he does not have the wing span (or weight) of other guys his height, Kawhi, MKG as recent examples.

He is what he is, I just don't see him improving much if any.
                    He shoots.

That is what shooting guards do.

6'6" is ideal height for SG. He isn't a small forward.

Willing to disagree on this.

Comment

I think raptors management fucked him over by trying to make him into something he wasn't by making him start and play the 3 spot. They clearly didn't anticipate him not being capable of defend the larger and aggressive SFs in the league. Him getting the starting job as our SF was too premature and a poor decision by management.

If we're planning on keeping DD as our permanent SG from now until he retires, Ross is only going to amount to being our 6th man off the bench which isn't a bad thing. I think it could work out for him as the 6th man but idk if he's got other ambitions of wanting to eventually start.

He still has to show that he is worth keeping around though. His last season didn't merit him being kept on the roster as well as almost every other player on our team. I'll concede he does deserve another chance but i want to see results on the court.
                      #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

BS10 wrote: View Post
                        I think raptors management fucked him over by trying to make him into something he wasn't by making him start and play the 3 spot. They clearly didn't anticipate him not being capable of defend the larger and aggressive SFs in the league. Him getting the starting job as our SF was too premature and a poor decision by management.

If we're planning on keeping DD as our permanent SG from now until he retires, Ross is only going to amount to being our 6th man off the bench which isn't a bad thing. I think it could work out for him as the 6th man but idk if he's got other ambitions of wanting to eventually start.

He still has to show that he is worth keeping around though. His last season didn't merit him being kept on the roster as well as almost every other player on our team. I'll concede he does deserve another chance but i want to see results on the court.
                        Think trying to make him a Demar type SG playing next to Landry was equally bad or worse. He can't do anything in traffic at the rim. 1-2 dribbles to mid-range or outside makes more sense

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          It probably has a lot to do with his body language. He sulks like a 12 year old when coach talks to him. Then you look at the fire in the eyes of lowry, derozan and JV, ross usually seems like hed rather be playing madden at his swanky condo.
                          It has to do with his overall performance on a game to game basis, when Lowry and DD have bad games they sometimes sulk too but usually the next game they make up for it so we forgive them, Ross is usually still stuck in second gear the following game and that leaves a bad taste. Now its Carroll burden to shoulder the load while Ross needs to perform off the bench (I would rather for DD to come off the bench to give our second unit a better lift and balance the scoring but that ain't going to happen under Casey).

Comment

Isn't it funny how out of the other SGs we might've taken in that draft - Rivers, Waiters and Lamb - Ross is probably still the best.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                              He shoots.

That is what shooting guards do.

6'6" is ideal height for SG. He isn't a small forward.

Willing to disagree on this.
                              Yeah, and I think that's the crux right now. We know that he's a shooting guard that has been playing out of position. We know he can shoot (and could be major contributor in a T. shooting resurgence) and should be able to play D. He's even logged a significant number of minutes starting and winning alongside DeMar.

What we don't know is how he shows up to a contract year playing in a reserve role. He could explode in a sixth man role - playing next to Carroll at times (nice spacing there), and DeMar at others (lacking elite size but it's a heck of a lot bigger than Lou-DeMar).

Bottomline, he is someone that you trade if someone else is valuing him enough to land your target (MM?). Otherwise, you run him again and see if he can boost his value to the Raps or elsewhere. If he flails, he's still decent trade-ballast or an expiring contract to us at the very worst.

I, for one, think he's got another gear as a player. He's had coaching and teammate continuity and now it's time for him to step up and be a man. Michael Finley-light if he can emerge as a young veteran this season, and we can definitely use that off the bench.

If he can't, Cory and the rest will eat his lunch right quick.

Comment

He'll be fine on a bench. Cheap 3 point shooter is not bad to have. It was a bad pick but it is what it is.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X