Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your "ideal" or "realistic" scenario for the Raptors 2016 off-season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Ideally:

JV/Bebe
    Horford/ NYK/DEN pick
    DC/Bruno
    Durant/Powell
    Cojo/Wright
    So with this line up, its assumed that Toronto becomes the "it" destination for high caliber free agents. But in order to get Hortford first, we'd already have Durant locked up in a deal. Durant playing the 2 would a nightmare matchup for the other team in any situation, as he's already difficult to guard at the 3 but the other team would still send its best defender at him. It is very dreamy/ideal but could also be a possibility. Who knows, we'll have to wait and see.
    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      Ross as a backup wing for cheap is fine. I'd still expect Patterson to hold down the starting spot at PF for a year while "insert stud PF rookie from Knicks pick" develops for a year.

Lowry-Batum-Carroll-Patterson-JV. With CoJo-Ross-Bruno-Rookie-BeBe off the bench.
      Ah, that makes things a lot more interesting of what the rotations/starters look like. Probably more effective on small ball with a 3 point threat all around on the from 1-4. I guess our #1 option would become Lowry and #2 JV or maybe 1a and 1b. I think this would be the line up Casey would be intrigued about playing but IDK if he's even here for the 2016-17 season.
      #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        I think batum would be the likely starter at sg. He fits well as a playmaker and secondary ballhandeler. He can shoot as well and defend, overall i like him. We may be looking to become very international with batum, jv, cojo, bruno, biyombo, and potentially our next few draft picks. I dont mind that at all. Batum is playing sg for the Hornets and should work well there. If ross makes a great unexpected leap then i gusss we could play him/batum/carroll than that could work tho i suppose.
        Yea I agree, Batum is a really good playmaker and ball handler. I loved watching him when he was on Portland and was healthy and was playing extremely well for their team. I wouldn't mind him at the 2 spot if DD walks or we trade him for more assets. Our squad already does have an international flavour to it and Batum would add to the mix/diversity. We'll be the Spurs of the east. Batum joining our team is a strong possibility if his time in Charlotte doesn't work out.
        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

To me the ideal one is you bring in Durant and the more realistic one is you re-sign DeMar.

Valanciunas/Biyombo/Nogueira
          Patterson/Rookie
          Carroll/Caboclo
          Durant/Powell
          Lowry/Joseph/Wright

Patterson/Scola/Rookie
          Carroll/Johnson/Caboclo
          DeRozan/Ross/Powell
          Lowry/Joseph/Wright

So yeah, if we are able to keep the same roster as this year but have a top 10 draft pick rookie PF instead of our 15th man of this season, I'd be pretty happy knowing that we can get our last piece in the summer of 2017.

*I also like Batum, but I don't see the point of getting him on this team...

Comment

Personally I'm not convinced that Batum will bounce back this year. He was awful last year, so he needs to show a lot this year before I'd call him an upgrade over anyone.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Thanks for the shout out BS10!

My ultimate preference of course is to woo KD and get him to sign here. To make it more palatable I'd renounce TR, DD, JJ and Scola. And talk to Biyombo's people to see what he's planning to do with this player option. If he's keeping it to move him for a future pick otherwise just let him go. Basically open up $25M in my bank account so I can go shopping.

The issue with waiting on KD (and I sense it will play out like LMA did) is that you could lose out on another free agent while waiting on his decision. Therefore I don't think Horford will be a possibility because he'll most likely be picked up early (probably by Atlanta). The Raptors will need a wing to replace DD.

Best case scenario would be Batum (comparing his awful year to DD's last year shows to me that Batum was still the better player - outside of PPG/FTA and usage). I suspect Batum will rebound though.

Raptors still need a PF and my preference therefore would be to initiate a trade with Phoenix now for Morris who I think is a better starter than 2Pat. If Masai doesn't go after Morris now, then I hope some kind of a trade would open up for a good PF in the summer like Faried or Jones.

If the draft pick ends up #10 then they'll most likely be a decent role player so I'm not suspecting much with it. If it was top 5 then that could change a few things in the line up (for example if it was a SG/wing they got like Murray then no need to pick up Batum, and free agency could be used for a PF like Henson or Teletovic). I then look for a backup C (to replace Biyombo), a backup wing (to replace TR) and a maybe a utility player. Once of these bench guys will most likely be filled by one of the draft picks.

I then wait until 2017 and try again.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                Personally I'm not convinced that Batum will bounce back this year. He was awful last year, so he needs to show a lot this year before I'd call him an upgrade over anyone.
                Yea I agree Axel, he has to show he's worth acquiring before we attempt to get him. I think he had some personal things going on when he was playing awful last year in Portland. I'm hopeful but not certain he'll bounce back. If he doesn't, Masai would probably sign him for below his value sort of like a Biyombo contract-- but not at 3 mill for 2 years. Probably in the ball park of 8-10 mill for a year or two. IDK but that's what I think.
                #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

If Batum is not available.. I'd make a 1+1 type of deal for Joe Johnson.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                    To me the ideal one is you bring in Durant and the more realistic one is you re-sign DeMar.

Patterson/Rookie
                    Carroll/Caboclo
                    Durant/Powell
                    Lowry/Joseph/Wright

Patterson/Scola/Rookie
                    Carroll/Johnson/Caboclo
                    DeRozan/Ross/Powell
                    Lowry/Joseph/Wright

So yeah, if we are able to keep the same roster as this year but have a top 10 draft pick rookie PF instead of our 15th man of this season, I'd be pretty happy knowing that we can get our last piece in the summer of 2017.

*I also like Batum, but I don't see the point of getting him on this team...
                    So the top one is the ideal scenario but you believe its more realistic to just re-sign our old group of guys. Yea, I wouldn't complain about that if that happens either. I like our group going forward even if our chances to winning are slim. It's a really nice constructed roster as it is now.

2017 does have a lot of great free agents and it might be a better idea to hold out until then. Especially with the absence of KD from their roster on OKC, there's a strong likelihood we steal Ibaka from the thunder. I'd like that scenario a lot as well.
                    Last edited by BS10; Sun Aug 30, 2015, 01:18 PM.
                    #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Getting kd to even look at us is dependant on 2 things, eclipsing the 50 win mark this year,and demar being here. Without either of those we have no shot at him.
                      If we fail at that, and the Knicks pick doesn't come top 5, then I think the best option is to try and maintain the course, while trading a few good assets each year for better draft picks,and bringing along some of the young guys by slowing adding them into a winning rotation.

It'll likely take years to get where we are going no matter what so I'd prefer to see us keep building on a good foundation,develop a consitent winning culture and patiently wait until we hit big or until a top free agent can be persuaded to sign here.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

My ultimate preference of course is to woo KD and get him to sign here. To make it more palatable I'd renounce TR, DD, JJ and Scola. And talk to Biyombo's people to see what he's planning to do with this player option. If he's keeping it to move him for a future pick otherwise just let him go. Basically open up $25M in my bank account so I can go shopping.

The issue with waiting on KD (and I sense it will play out like LMA did) is that you could lose out on another free agent while waiting on his decision. Therefore I don't think Horford will be a possibility because he'll most likely be picked up early (probably by Atlanta). The Raptors will need a wing to replace DD.

Best case scenario would be Batum (comparing his awful year to DD's last year shows to me that Batum was still the better player - outside of PPG/FTA and usage). I suspect Batum will rebound though.

Raptors still need a PF and my preference therefore would be to initiate a trade with Phoenix now for Morris who I think is a better starter than 2Pat. If Masai doesn't go after Morris now, then I hope some kind of a trade would open up for a good PF in the summer like Faried or Jones.

If the draft pick ends up #10 then they'll most likely be a decent role player so I'm not suspecting much with it. If it was top 5 then that could change a few things in the line up (for example if it was a SG/wing they got like Murray then no need to pick up Batum, and free agency could be used for a PF like Henson or Teletovic). I then look for a backup C (to replace Biyombo), a backup wing (to replace TR) and a maybe a utility player. Once of these bench guys will most likely be filled by one of the draft picks.

No problem, man.

I completely agree with the sentiment of waiting around for KD to sign with Toronto. I expect him to take longer than LA with his decision, which risks the possibility of losing out on the other available opportunities that we have available. Therefore, we probably take the meeting with KD and meet up with another player who we have a stronger chance of getting and we arrive bright and early in the morning before the competition tries to court him.

Yea, that player could be Batum, and I'm fine with that as long as he's able to perform to well in Toronto. He'd be a really great addition if he plays the way he was playing in 2013-14 on the Trail Blazers.

I'm still down for the Markieff trade as well since it upgrades our PF spot right now and allows salary cap to put towards making improvements elsewhere. I personally think he and JV would work as a great tandem as our new front court and be great with spacing and defence-- which is what we need.

Unless the pick isn't in the top 3, I don't expect him to produce immediately. There hasn't been too many players who have put up big numbers from the picks of the 2014 and 2013 classes. And I don't expect things to change anytime soon. It takes a while for players to develop regardless of how talented they seem in college.

I like your more realistic approach and maybe its the same as how Masai is considering the Raptor's future.
                        Last edited by BS10; Sun Aug 30, 2015, 01:20 PM.
                        #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Lowry - Batum
                          Morris-Val- ??

That does not look like a line up that will entice KD to come to Toronto and win his first ring now does it ?

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
                            Lowry - Batum
                            Morris-Val- ??

That does not look like a line up that will entice KD to come to Toronto and win his first ring now does it ?
                            I don't think the Raptors even have any chance of enticing someone like KD to Toronto. If KD is gonna come to Toronto, its because he wants to come and not because we sell him with our pitch. Thats my view.

That said, I think Lowry/DD/Carroll/MM/JV have better chances in the playoffs than what we have currently. I think we keep improving our roster regardless if KD comes or not. If KD decides to come to Toronto we make the appropriate accommodations for him in regards to the salary cap and the construction of the roster.
                            #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

draps wrote: View Post
                              Getting kd to even look at us is dependant on 2 things, eclipsing the 50 win mark this year,and demar being here. Without either of those we have no shot at him.
                              If we fail at that, and the Knicks pick doesn't come top 5, then I think the best option is to try and maintain the course, while trading a few good assets each year for better draft picks,and bringing along some of the young guys by slowing adding them into a winning rotation.

It'll likely take years to get where we are going no matter what so I'd prefer to see us keep building on a good foundation,develop a consitent winning culture and patiently wait until we hit big or until a top free agent can be persuaded to sign here.
                              I completely agree with what you said there 100%. Continue building even if KD doesn't come or any big name free agent for that matter.
                              #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

This is an interesting strategy however it's kind of risky also and could completely blow up in our faces. For example:

- New York or Denver makes the playoffs or gets like 9th/10th ish, making the pick early teens and unlikely to net any kind of star
                                - We focus on Durant in FA, telling DeRozan he is not a priority. DD walks. Batum signs elsewhere as another team not in on the Durant sweepstakes (or with money for both) prioritizes him and pays him early on (kind of like we did with Carroll this year).
                                - KD signs with another team

- The advantage of trading bench players or another player to sign KD is that you can wait to do it until after you sign KD (or Batum or Horford, etc). That means you can tell DeMar he will be re-signed and lowkey "agree" on a figure w/o actually verbally committing to it. That can still be risky (see Parsons) but it's a lot safer than just letting an all-star 2-guard walk and potentially missing out on all 3 of the only realistic targets worth replacing him with (KD, Horford, maybe Batum).

Comment

Working...
                                X