Censorship and intolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superjudge wrote: View Post
    I would hope you know that none of your fuckface "Mods", or any of the other posters likely think badly of you, or even this thread.... moreso, we all just see you have hit that point where it might be time to go hibernate for a bit. We all do it, like bears (or for me, majestic, fire breathing Dragons). Go play ball, work out, spend time with your family or lady/man friends. And when you wake up one day and think.... "shit, I havent caught up with my raps buddies in a while" THAT is when its safe to return.

Stay safe bud, stay happy. Life is short.
    This never hurts. I mean I myself am now chasing Jordans record for most unretirements. This place is a lot of fun but it's heathy to tune out from it occassonally.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      Few quick thoughts for psrs1 concerns.

1. Tone in writing is largely decided by the reader not the writer. When the text is black and white, hard to really assign tone.

2. When a message or post is being sent with regards to rules, yes, it probably lacks some of the niceties that would soften the blow. But that is because it is probably not the first message/post of the day for the same type of thing. ....

5. You mention that telling you to "move on" is deflecting the concerns raised, but there is a specific forum rule explicitly saying "don't debate, criticize, etc decisions by forum staff"; so we are under no obligation to have the conversation with you. You made your point, and you received multiple responses. That should be end of story and if you feel the need to further explain, as mentioned above, send a PM, don't keep trying to force your opinion.

6th and final point. Since you specifically are calling me out for being a bully and not considering your viewpoint, I take great exception to your antics. You don't know me and you don't know the discussions that all mods have had regarding this issue. I am a human being too and never in any post/message have I degraded you or your opinion as much as you have me in this thread. So you call me a bully for reminding you of forum rules while enforcing a decision I didn't make (I didn't lock the thread) to try and get us to conform to your opinion. Who is bullying who here? If you are going to call me out for something, damn well should be a good reason.

Also note, we haven't edited or deleted your post, so your concerns are here for all to see.
      I feel obliged to say something here. psrs1 is raising concerns that I share and so I don't think it fair to let him twist in the wind, alone, on this.

I offered you a quotation, Axel, in a private message, when you told me that you just don't care if I don't like your "tone" (and I could either simply do as you required, and enjoy the site, or leave). The quotation is that which has often appeared on the masthead of the Globe and Mail newspaper, from Junius:

"The citizen who will submit to arbitrary measures is no friend of the King."

Which is to say that the citizen who will speak up when others might be too afraid - who will, as it is often put, "speak truth to power" - ought to receive a genuine audience ... and should perhaps be admired rather than belittled or "fobbed off".

Certainly moderators provide an essential service here. And it must be, at times, like herding cats, or refereeing at a daycare. I think most of us "get" that. Truly.

But there is this from A Few Good Men: "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

The first sign that someone isn't prepared to deal with the truth is that they go straight into denial. Your point one, above, Axel, seeks to suggest that one can't be condescending in "black and white" - that any tone is "read in".

Honestly, does anyone think this is actually true?

I have, essentially, done as SuperJudge has just suggested after becoming embroiled with a handful of moderators and Administrators who took exception to my arguing for considering Markieff Morris as an acquisition. I was told I was "making no sense", that I was simply "making things up", "arguing semantics". I was told to "move on" (or else) and received a number of warnings from Axel. I had posts deleted. The suggestion that I could have called in other moderators is laughable ... as other moderators were regularly "liking" the posts I have just complained of ... if not adding to them. Ultimately the thread was closed ... honestly because the whole spectacle of Mods/Admins rallying around to insist my view was fatuous, and poorly argued, became unseemly, I think (in part, perhaps).

I take no view on whether a thread ought to be closed or not. Honestly I can only imagine how tedious and annoying it might become to moderate certain threads, sometimes. And so I can see how, sometimes, it might be fairly decided it is not "worth the effort". I'm not prepared to second-guess that, as I don't have to do it.

But I think psrs1 raises some valid points nonetheless. It should be obvious that if Mods lose their objectivity, in a particular exchange, or become belittling, incautious or heavy-handed, they can "chill" a discussion ... and engage in a debate with tools for shouting down, punishing, editing or silencing ordinary posters.

Yes, Mods efforts, ordinarily, ought to be valued. And Mods are only human. Fine.

Perhaps admitting that, from time to time, might be helpful, though ... The quality of the forum really is in their hands.

Anyway, there's my two cents. So you're not alone psrs1.
      Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Tue Sep 22, 2015, 09:21 AM.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
        CRF. I did wish to bring into the DD discussion the impact of where he is in his family life cycle will impact all sides moving forward re possible max contract next season. This is a specific example for you which you can review that I raised and wished to discuss in the Everything DD thread. I don't think it is fair for you to to say 'you don't have the right to accuse ...' To me the tone of that comment is condescending. You use the the word 'accuse' --I would suggest I was raising a legitimate concern with which you obviously do not agree . I hope you can consider how the tone of that comment can be perceived as such.

psrs1
        You raised that point and several Mods (myself included) publically suggested you start a new thread to discuss it.

In what world does multiple suggestions to enjoy your freedom of speech = censorship?

You continue to beat a dead horse.
        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Sep 22, 2015, 10:18 AM.

Comment

psr1 are you aware of how to start a thread?

We mods are genuinely confused.

If you don't know that you can start threads your posts make a lot more sense.
          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

"the system or practice of examining writings or movies and taking out things considered offensive or immoral"

here

I question as to how in the fuck that locking a thread that does nothing but allow for people to get stupid over the content of it as being defined as anything even close to "censorship"

Has the thread and all of its entirety been deleted? No?

Have all posts referencing Demar been deleted? no?

Have there been no invites to start new discussion about Demar? No?

Has Demar not been discussed in other threads and been immediately deleted? No?

Has this thread calling into question the nature of the locking of the dd thread been immediately taken down? No?

then get over it, it is a far cry from censorship.

Im sorry but this is fucking stupid to even call that into question.

Comment

Wild-ling#1 wrote: View Post
              I feel obliged to say something here. psrs1 is raising concerns that I share and so I don't think it fair to let him twist in the wind, alone, on this.

I offered you a quotation, Axel, in a private message, when you told me that you just don't care if I don't like your "tone" (and I could either simply do as you required, and enjoy the site, or leave). The quotation is that which has often appeared on the masthead of the Globe and Mail newspaper, from Junius:

"The citizen who will submit to arbitrary measures is no friend of the King."

Which is to say that the citizen who will speak up when others might be too afraid - who will, as it is often put, "speak truth to power" - ought to receive a genuine audience ... and should perhaps be admired rather than belittled or "fobbed off".

Certainly moderators provide an essential service here. And it must be, at times, like herding cats, or refereeing at a daycare. I think most of us "get" that. Truly.

But there is this from A Few Good Men: "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

The first sign that someone isn't prepared to deal with the truth is that they go straight into denial. Your point one, above, Axel, seeks to suggest that one can't be condescending in "black and white" - that any tone is "read in".

Honestly, does anyone think this is actually true?

I have, essentially, done as SuperJudge has just suggested after becoming embroiled with a handful of moderators and Administrators who took exception to my arguing for considering Markieff Morris as an acquisition. I was told I was "making no sense", that I was simply "making things up", "arguing semantics". I was told to "move on" (or else) and received a number of warnings from Axel. I had posts deleted. The suggestion that I could have called in other moderators is laughable ... as other moderators were regularly "liking" the posts I have just complained of ... if not adding to them. Ultimately the thread was closed ... honestly because the whole spectacle of Mods/Admins rallying around to insist my view was fatuous, and poorly argued, became unseemly, I think (in part, perhaps).

I take no view on whether a thread ought to be closed or not. Honestly I can only imagine how tedious and annoying it might become to moderate certain threads, sometimes. And so I can see how, sometimes, it might be fairly decided it is not "worth the effort". I'm not prepared to second-guess that, as I don't have to do it.

But I think psrs1 raises some valid points nonetheless. It should be obvious that if Mods lose their objectivity, in a particular exchange, or become belittling, incautious or heavy-handed, they can "chill" a discussion ... and engage in a debate with tools for shouting down, punishing, editing or silencing ordinary posters.

Yes, Mods efforts, ordinarily, ought to be valued. And Mods are only human. Fine.

Perhaps admitting that, from time to time, might be helpful, though ... The quality of the forum really is in their hands.

Anyway, there's my two cents. So you're not alone psrs1.
              I'm not sure if other mods are aware re Axel's difficulty dealing with criticism. Axel sent me a pm stating that I was not allowed to question or criticize mods in public forum. If one is not respectful that is one issue but if one just can't consider a point of criticism that does not involve name calling and the like it is , imo , a sign of intolerance.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                I'm not sure if other mods are aware re Axel's difficulty dealing with criticism. Axel sent me a pm stating that I was not allowed to question or criticize mods in public forum. If one is not respectful that is one issue but if one just can't consider a point of criticism that does not involve name calling and the like it is , imo , a sign of intolerance.
                FULL DISCLOSURE FOR ALL TO SEE - HERE IS THE ENTIRE PM EXCHANGE WITH PSRS1 .

AXEL to PSRS1

I deleted those 2 posts, as I said would happen.

There is no censorship, you are free to post about DD's family life and its impact - just make a new thread. The Everything DD was locked to prevent the pointless posts that lead to arguments; not to prevent from meaningful new ideas/points.

If you want to discuss his family life impact, write a good OP and create a new thread. If it is well written, I'm sure you will get some good responses.

2 important points to make moving forward.

1. Do not post unrelated to the thread topic.

2. From the rules thread:

* DO NOT argue with, comment on, complain about, criticize, or otherwise discuss staff decisions on rules issues in public in Raptors Republic forums. If you think a decision that directly affects you is incorrect, you may make an appeal in private via private message or email.

This isn't North Korea, so I'm asking you to stop with the dramatics and play within the rules. There is nothing wrong with temporarily locking a thread that isn't contributing anything during the off-season when no new news is being discussed. Stop comparing that to real world situations like North Korea or Cuba. People die over there, we are just discussing basketball.

PSRS1 to Axel
                The fact that you do not seriously consider my point is telling. Stating that one cannot criticize another is exactly the kind of intolerance I have described. If you cannot take any criticism perhaps you should really not be so dismissive regarding comparisons to countries which do not allow criticism of their governments. Yes RR is different than a government state but the principle is the same .
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

If the general consensus is now that RR has become a dictatorship, then more people please speak up and share their two cents. If not and you feel less and less of a desire to contribute here, then I suggest you find greener pastures to post.(i.e. RealGM). We can't keep everyone happy unfortunately, but we clearly have differing opinions. I suggest you figure out what makes you happy and roll with it. Life's too short.

Comment

The only thing I would add to this conversation, as I don't believe there is a real issue with Censorship or Intolerance here at RR, is that there are MULTIPLE mods, all of whom have different personalities, different opinions, and different ways of handling things. If one in particular is not responsive to your PMs, by all means, reach out to any other Mods here (or even Doc directly .. sorry Doc. Haha) and we will look to discuss it. I have not had any messages to my PM indicating any sort of issue, and yet, I see stuff here about how ALL Mods will react the same if asked to step in, and ALL mods were involved in Ganging up against a certain position. If you have an issue with a particular mod, while it is helpful to open up the lines of communication with said mod, it will also be helpful to include others in the conversation so we can stand in as mediators and sort things out.

Everyone here just wants to talk ball. So lets talk ball and not let the dramatics get in the way of what we all love.

Comment

Please make no mistake. I think we can all agree this is an excellent site. Truly. I'd like no one to think otherwise ... even if there is the occasional wrangle here ...

I might say more but ... Honestly I just came here to see what members are saying about Anthony Bennett on this fine fall day (before my kids traipse in and spoil everything).

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
                        The only thing I would add to this conversation, as I don't believe there is a real issue with Censorship or Intolerance here at RR, is that there are MULTIPLE mods, all of whom have different personalities, different opinions, and different ways of handling things. If one in particular is not responsive to your PMs, by all means, reach out to any other Mods here (or even Doc directly .. sorry Doc. Haha) and we will look to discuss it. I have not had any messages to my PM indicating any sort of issue, and yet, I see stuff here about how ALL Mods will react the same if asked to step in, and ALL mods were involved in Ganging up against a certain position. If you have an issue with a particular mod, while it is helpful to open up the lines of communication with said mod, it will also be helpful to include others in the conversation so we can stand in as mediators and sort things out.

Everyone here just wants to talk ball. So lets talk ball and not let the dramatics get in the way of what we all love.
                        Joey. I appreciate the tone of your response. I am going to continue to contribute in this site . Just as us posters need to be respectful to mods , mods do need to be respectful to posters.

Comment

Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                          If the general consensus is now that RR has become a dictatorship, then more people please speak up and share their two cents. If not and you feel less and less of a desire to contribute here, then I suggest you find greener pastures to post.(i.e. RealGM). We can't keep everyone happy unfortunately, but we clearly have differing opinions. I suggest you figure out what makes you happy and roll with it. Life's too short.
                          It's not about making one happy. Posters should be able to raise an are of interest to them and perhaps other posters. I am going to contribute to this site. Of course opinions will differ --it is in handling of these differences that should be continued to be monitored.

Comment

Thank you to the mods for deleting posts that I flagged recently. I posted a PM re: one particular member on "Joey's" wall. This member has repeatedly made distasteful comments, often in response to my posts, even when my posts are not in response to him. He seems encouraged to offend me and not discouraged to curb his behaviour.
                            I'd really just like to talk about basketball. I'd really appreciate if hateful comments were disciplined beyond deletion; as in, a warning. This invidual is persistent, he thinks his comments are funny and he enjoys provoking me.
                            Again, I'm trying to use the flag system and mostly not engage directly and I appreciate that posts were deleted. I hope he will stop making hateful comments and we can all enjoy the forum and our team.
                            "Casual" hate speech may seem innocuous but imo it's dangerous if left unchecked. It can become more persistent and severe.
                            Thanks!

Comment

Posts that are out of poor taste are something that is a grey area though.

It's not always a shot at you, lew.... it's a shot at situations that are brought up because of said posts.

You've reported said posts.... but if you have a problem with a member, use the ignore feature or PM one of us Mods. Okay?
                              Axel wrote:
                              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

I don't think hate speech is a grey area. Doesn't matter whether I identify with the target group that is being discriminated against or not - it's offensive. These comments are in response to my post (that are not directed at said member) and it's meant to incite hate and to insult me. Nothing to do with bball. The fact that I've asked said member and the mods to stop it but it keeps happening constitutes harassment.
                                If you want to tell me to "move on" (again) or ban me (again) then that's your perogative. I'm not gonna block said member bc I think we can talk about this like civilized adults. To that end, I appreciate that there is a thread like this one. I think these matters should be transparent and open to all.
                                Thx Cody. I hope we can talk ball without hateful comments, plz. It's not funny. It's just hate for sick amusement.

Comment

Working...
                                X