Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top 10 reasons why Kevin Ollie will be the next Raptors head coach!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    which is why MU has never built a team that went past the first round. good picks and trades are meaningless without any playoff hope
    His last denver nugget team was a 3rd seed IN THE WEST and considered a championship contender. Only reason they got eliminated by GSW is cause their team got destroyed by injuries.

Comment

I won't argue with anyone here about coach Casey's struggles with in-game play calling. I would take some issue with commenters who criticize his usage of JV, James Johnson and some others.

But I think some may be underestimating Casey's credibility as a man. And as I think this is a new era in player/management relations, with players having more ability to create real difficulties for (or to simply ignore) coaches they don't like or respect as people, I'm hoping that the new coaching team can create systems, usage patterns and so on that can make the most of the player's talents, while also taking full advantage of Casey's ability to help create an environment players want to come to.

Still, I appreciate the discussion you have started here, mcHAPPY, about options the Raptors might have in the near future.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        I disagree on this off season additions as being Casey players.

They are all advanced stat darlings and play a style of basketball that produces wins.

Casey has shown time and time again that he prefers inefficiency and his preferred style of play has never been the style of play that this off seasons additions have shown to play.

Obviously perspectives shape yor reality but I see a team being built with post casey era in mind.
        Casey coaches to his personnel. The year before they had a totally different brand of basketball. One thing as a coach you have to find a system that best fits your personnel. He thought maximizing the guards on offense to make up what they were giving up on D. New personnel I think you see a mixture of the last two season. More of a medium between the two.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          Casey coaches to his personnel. The year before they had a totally different brand of basketball. One thing as a coach you have to find a system that best fits your personnel. He thought maximizing the guards on offense to make up what they were giving up on D. New personnel I think you see a mixture of the last two season. More of a medium between the two.
          its going to be a middle of the pack D with an atrocious offense until Casey is gone

Comment

But it's the "system" that led to 4th quarter lineups without JV (best inside scorer and rebounder) or JJ (best defender), so I don't agree that Casey adapts to his players. Even with the players he did play, other than Lou, none are particularly ideal for ISO offence.

KL breaks down defences off the dribble, but with his height and athleticism, hard for him to score in an ISO; better suited for drive and kick offence where he can create pressure, move the ball and get it back in space once the defence rotates.

DD has more size and athleticism, but can't consistently beat his man of the bounce, instead relying on a bevy of pump fakes, and resets (pass out and get return to revive dribble option); better suited to catch the ball on cuts and post ups.

GV was a pass first PG and limited scorer until Casey got a hold of him.

Ross, catch and shoot guy was forced into DD's role when DD got hurt. Instead of calling plays suited for his skill set, he was asked to replicate another players skill set.

Casey has never demonstrated to me that he adapts his system to the skills of his players.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              But it's the "system" that led to 4th quarter lineups without JV (best inside scorer and rebounder) or JJ (best defender), so I don't agree that Casey adapts to his players. Even with the players he did play, other than Lou, none are particularly ideal for ISO offence.

KL breaks down defences off the dribble, but with his height and athleticism, hard for him to score in an ISO; better suited for drive and kick offence where he can create pressure, move the ball and get it back in space once the defence rotates.

DD has more size and athleticism, but can't consistently beat his man of the bounce, instead relying on a bevy of pump fakes, and resets (pass out and get return to revive dribble option); better suited to catch the ball on cuts and post ups.

Ross, catch and shoot guy was forced into DD's role when DD got hurt. Instead of calling plays suited for his skill set, he was asked to replicate another players skill set.

Casey has never demonstrated to me that he adapts his system to the skills of his players.
              What happened 2013-14?
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

What happened 2013-14?
                What happened the other 3 years of his tenure?

You really haven't presented any evidence.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

What happened the other 3 years of his tenure?

You really haven't presented any evidence.
                  We weren't talented enough
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Were talking about an offense that was top10 one year and top 5 the next.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

We weren't talented enough
                      We weren't talented enough for our coach to adapt to our players? Huh?

Comment

I thought we were talking about a coach demonstrating (or not) the ability to adapt schemes and strategies to suit the skill sets of the players on the roster.

Comment

"Casey has never demonstrated to me that he adapts his system to the skills of his players,...."....
                          unless that player is either a VET or a GUARD.

I correct it for you.

By the way, hiring a college guy is a huge gamble, people are getting swept away by what Brad did in Boston, but go and look back , historically, it is a great risk; everything has to be perfectly aligned, especially timing.
                          You are basically trying to hire a great coach before anyone else finds out that his greatness can translate well in the NBA.

I'm not knocking Ollie, I am sure he'll be better than Casey, even if it takes him a couple of years.

Great analysis by the way.

Last edited by distorsun; Sat Sep 19, 2015, 10:01 PM.

Comment

And a defense that was top 10 one year and bottom 5 the next...

Comment

Call me crazy but I'm luke-warm on Casey:

+love his level headed attitude (anti-smitch - Imagine Smitch vs Lowry lol)
                              +deserves way more credit for pound-the-rock culture change (huge in my opinion)
                              +consistent in the first few years with focusing on offensive ball movement (i see us reverting to this next year)

- not sure if he can handle any kind of pressure in the clutch
                              - mediocre X's and O's
                              - relied on iso talent last year waaay to much and obviously burnt him

I think the last point was magnified greatly last year and really showed down the line how thin the playbook really was - hence the public outcry for his head on a stake.

Call me crazy but I'd rather wait for a home run top 10 coach than throwing coaches at the wall until one sticks - really hurts the perception of the franchise and culture/player development... I don't want a Mike Malone/Sacramento situation starting here...
                              When Tom Chambers dunks an NBA player gets their hops...

Comment

This year is Casey's contract year, and the last year to show what he is capable of as a coach with the players he has been given. He has been known as a defensive coach, MU got out and got Carroll, Wright, CoJo, Biyombo, also Lowry slimmed down and looks a lot better. Realistically this team should be a much, much better defensive team than they were last season.

Comment

Working...
                                X