Raptors Republic Report Cards - Jose Calderon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Republic Report Cards - Jose Calderon

Today, we move onto Jose. Grade and discuss guys & gals.

Jose Calderon

2009-10 Statistics

PPG 10.3
    RPG 2.1
    APG 5.9
    SPG 0.7
    BPG 0.1
    FG% 0.482
    FT% 0.798
    3P% 0.398
    MPG 26.7
    A
    0.00%
    B
    5.26%
    C
    42.11%
    D
    42.11%
    F
    10.53%

His stats are down ... but he is still a team player where he solidify our bench meaning he made our bench players better/efficient compare to previous years. Fans often against him to much and saying he has "no heart/effort" but i think he has heart .. but he lack the physical abilities compare to other pgs

He was injured which could affect his game especially his free throws and probably his defense. Didn't he guard Chris Paul when the raps play against NO the first time of the season?

Offtopic: why do the media always saying there is a pg controversy? I don't think there is one.
    Last edited by KakashiPrince; Sat Apr 17, 2010, 11:50 PM.

Comment

so heres the deal, jose calderon is our best team player, and whether that means starting, coming off the bench, or giving up his touches to hedo which he did all year, he is by far our most valuable team player and people like him are the peices that glue a team together. His numbers are done, of course they are. He is playing with a point forward who wants the ball all the time and a backup pg who can arguably start in this league who cut his minutes played by 9. Per minute, his stats really havent faulted much. Next on to his defence, he cannot keep his man in front of him. grade him a c- for man on man d, but then we have to realize this is a team game and our defence is structured around help defence, he is probably one of 4 players on our team who actually play within the system and help where he is asked to help (whether or not he stops the player is another question). Too many times this year jose got exposure for his man scoring a basket when actually at that point it was another players coverage because of the system, he helps and noone helps him.

In the end i think people were way to hard on him and should start smartening up, 10.4 pts, 6 assists in 25 minutes a game, is not bad at all, especially when you consider the lack of touches for him. Without him on our team, who do you expect to run the offence? hedo who clearly cant do anything? jack, who shoots well for 1/7 of the game which gives his stats a boost?

When he goes to a team next year with a real coach, you will all see how good he really is.

Comment

I gave Jose a D grade. He regressed this season. If C is an average grade then he doesn't deserve a C. He played below his average level of play. He was horrendous on defense. He didn't jive well with his new teammates. He didn't look as confident out there... Just overall he looked like a shadow of the Jose for a couple years prior or ever last year for that matter. I'll say it right now, its something no one has mentioned in here, he misses the hell out of Anthony Parker! Parker is one of the most underrated players in the game. It is not fluke that Jose began struggling immediately after loosing his partner in crime out on the perimeter. Parker covered up some of Jose's faults. The rook is a work in progress and the rest were hit or miss. Jose missed Parker big time. DeMar is going to bring the heat this year to opposing guards so there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

Comment

it was close
          at first i though C but my vote was in the end a D
          the guy seriously played no Defence this season so at least he got D here
          he shot the ball worse, more turnovers, and less passion
          i think he is on his way out...

Comment

INFO wrote: View Post
            it was close
            at first i though C but my vote was in the end a D
            the guy seriously played no Defence this season so at least he got D here
            he shot the ball worse, more turnovers, and less passion
            i think he is on his way out...
            "less passion".......... this is subjective...
            more turnovers? compare to who?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              I gave Jose a D grade. He regressed this season. If C is an average grade then he doesn't deserve a C. He played below his average level of play. He was horrendous on defense. He didn't jive well with his new teammates. He didn't look as confident out there... Just overall he looked like a shadow of the Jose for a couple years prior or ever last year for that matter.
              I gave Jose a C grade primarily because this season he showed that he's reached his potential ceiling. He showed that he's a below-average defender at this position, which makes him unsuitable to be a starter at his position.

He showed that he's an above-average offensive PG as a back-up. Unfortunately, being paired with Hedo as his primary wing option (as a starter) didn't translate into fast-break transition opportunities, thereby making the starters (with Bargs, Jose, Hedo & DD our worst defensive players at their respective positions) a half-court offensive unit that was unable to make/earn consistent stops on defense.

This season, Jose showed that he has reached his peak, which is as a very good substitute PG capable of contributing to any team in the league.

Jose is comparable to the Bull's Kirk Hinrich. Whereas Jose is a better offensive player, Hinrich is a better defender. Both are better suited as back-up PG's. And both are overpaid given their worth. They are both currently signed to multi-year contracts in excess of $9M annually, making them low value trading chips.
              RR OG

Comment

I have to disagree with the Hinrich comparison. While they might both are better suited to playing back up PG, Hinrich has been starting at the 2 for most of the season and his ability to play multiple positions exponentially increases his value.

I have never heard anyone question his toughness and he has constantly adapted his game to suit the needs of the team whereas Jose keeps playing the exact same style regardless of the players on the floor.

I'm biased because I dig Hinrich and have digging Jose's grave for the last two years.

I gave him an F. He hasn't played well since he signed the contract and seems to have lost his ability to lead this team on the floor. His biggest asset was being a floor general and that his ability to control the games tempo outweighed his inability to act as anything other than a pylon on defense.

Too man games he seemed out of touch on offense, forcing shots instead of letting them come to him. His chemistry with Amir was significant though. As a starting point guard on this team, he is a failure, but as a back up he is one of the best league. I've never understood the reasoning behind trying to turn a potential asset into a liability.

While this is not necessarily his fault, he seemed to always be guarding the other teams best player at end the of games. While he would admirably play his heart out by clapping or getting in thier face, the opposing player almost always did what they wanted. I just have this one Memphis game ingrained in my brain with him draped over Rudy while Rudy just went to work and buried a dizzying array of mid range j's and floaters.

Comment

Working...
                X