2015/16 mvp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
    Whoever gets the most wins, that's how it usually works. That's why I don't see Anthony Davis, unlikely that his team will be good enough.

I'll say LeBron, they should have more chemistry this year and better record. Also I don't think that LeBron is "a boring pick," by the time they vote it will be 3 years since he last won an MVP.

Steph Curry repeat is a strong possibility. If they stay healthy, they can easily be the top team again. Even if someone important gets injured, I could easily see Steph Curry compensating that loss with much better individual stats, a la Nash in 2006, and winning again.

My darkhorse... A Spur. Kawhi probably, or maybe Aldridge or Tony Parker. They have enough talent to just be better than everyone else by 7-8 wins if everything goes right, and then their best player will start to get serious consideration.
    You're probably right but I just feel like MVP should go to someone who really does everything for their team to win, and if taken away would almost decimate the team's chances of winning. Kind of like Kyle Last year; if you take him away the team is garbage. I know Kyle wasn't an MVP but someone who has that kind of impact on a top 2-3 seed team should win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Maury wrote: View Post
      You're probably right but I just feel like MVP should go to someone who really does everything for their team to win, and if taken away would almost decimate the team's chances of winning. Kind of like Kyle Last year; if you take him away the team is garbage. I know Kyle wasn't an MVP but someone who has that kind of impact on a top 2-3 seed team should win.

Yep I think there's no perfect formula. That formula where it's about taking players away is a bit unfair to players from well built teams. I mean, if a team has just one player who can competently handle and run an offense for a team, and you take him away, the team is in big trouble. Another team might have Jordan and Pippen, you take one away, and the team will still win 50+ games because they both can do everything. So that formula would be unfair to Jordan in this case.

But realistically, voters usually pick someone from the top 2 teams in the league. Occasionally it's someone from 3rd best team. Anything less, and it's very rare. I think Hakeem Olajuwon got his MVP when his team wasn't great, it was like 7th best or something like that, so it does happen, but it's very rare.

So to me, if I have to guess who will be MVP, the question starts with who's going to have a top 2 team this year. I think that probably Cleveland, Warriors, Spurs are most likely.

Comment

I'll say LeBron, they should have more chemistry this year and better record. Also I don't think that LeBron is "a boring pick," by the time they vote it will be 3 years since he last won an MVP.
        it is because his greatness is just expected at this point. i would argue he should have won the passed three years as well. there isn't a player on his team that does more than lebron or who would have as large a negative effect on the team. even now there is a chance, if there was no lebron, for the cavs to miss the playoffs. take love and or irving off that team and they still make the playoffs with a good chance of representing the east again.

Comment

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
          it is because his greatness is just expected at this point. i would argue he should have won the passed three years as well. there isn't a player on his team that does more than lebron or who would have as large a negative effect on the team. even now there is a chance, if there was no lebron, for the cavs to miss the playoffs. take love and or irving off that team and they still make the playoffs with a good chance of representing the east again.
          I wouldn't have voted for LeBron these last couple years, personally. Last season he was coasting for the most part, plus missed many games. The year before that he was very good, but Durant was equally good or better, Durant had one of the great all time SF seasons, and his team was better too.

LeBron is the best player of the generation, but he wasn't the best regular season player the last couple years, IMO, and he didn't have the best team either.

It's not like how Jordan was snubbed for Malone, when Jordan was the best player of the generation AND very arguably the best player that season AND had the best team. That was a legit case of voters just being tired of voting for the same player.

Comment

I agree. I hope the winner is actually an MVP not just the best player on the best team like last year. I think steph is really good and obviously all nba level but his team would still be very good without him. Harden on the other hand carried his team to a very good record basically on his own, while playing heavy minutes and rarely missing any games.

Isn't it almost always the best player on the best team?

Comment

I don't agree that the Warriors would still be good without Steph, I would be very surprised if they made the playoffs without him. They are a bunch of complimentary pieces that serve a certain function well. Curry is the engine that bamboozles and distorts defenses and makes it possible for all these other pieces to shine at that point. Curry is kind of like Iverson back in the early 2000s, he distorts defensive schemes even on bad nights, defense is constantly out of place when Curry is on the floor.
              Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sun Oct 25, 2015, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I don't agree that the Warriors would still be good without Steph, I would be very surprised if they made the playoffs without him. They are a bunch of complimentary pieces that serve a certain function well. Curry is the engine that bamboozles and distorts defenses and makes it possible for all these other pieces to shine at that point. Curry is kind of like Iverson back in the early 2000s, he distorts defensive schemes even on bad nights, defense is constantly out of place when Curry is on the floor.
                CP3 is more important to the Clippers then Curry is to the Warriors. If Curry swaps with any other PG he improves most teams but most teams arent winning a title just by adding Curry. Swap Curry for Lowry GSW still are title contenders and Raptors arent

Comment

LeBron.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    CP3 is more important to the Clippers then Curry is to the Warriors. If Curry swaps with any other PG he improves most teams but most teams arent winning a title just by adding Curry. Swap Curry for Lowry GSW still are title contenders and Raptors arent
                    This is exactly what I mean. Take harden out and that team probably doesn't make the playoffs.

Comment

This is exactly what I mean. Take harden out and that team probably doesn't make the playoffs.

Rocket run an absurd amount of offense through Harden, likewise Wall on the Wiz.

Comment

CP3 is an MVP caliber player too, but I personally don't see any reason to consider him more important to his team than Steph Curry.

Also, I think that Lowry shouldn't be in the conversation with these type of players, it's not just that he's worse, he's basically a half season player so far in his career. Would the Warriors really make the playoffs in the West with last year's Lowry? I guess they would be worse in the first half of the season and collapse in the second half and in the playoffs, if they do make them.

All our talk is conjecture obviously, and your guesses are as good as mine. But Curry is a phenomenal player whose impact is way beyond scoring some points and getting some assists, his presence on the floor distorts opposing defenses more IMO than any other superstar's presence right now, and it makes his teammates much better.

Sadly, the only way to trully estimate his impact would be to see him suffer a major injury, so I hope that we never know for sure.

Comment

It's true the Warriors play amazing and fundamentally sound basketball but Curry is too talented, it would be too much to take him out of their lineup, I think they would make the playoffs still but drop in the standings considerably.
                          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

I was wrong guys it's curry no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                            X