Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you see any Similarities between Raptors and Jays ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you see any Similarities between Raptors and Jays ?

Got to love the passion of Toronto Sports fans ... Although Jays game one kind of looked like many game one for Raptors in their playoff history ... The loud crowd and crazy atmosphere often makes the home team look rattled a bit ... Also like The Raptors the Jays decide to put up a banner before game one starts ...
    Last edited by guyroch; Tue Oct 13, 2015, 03:00 PM.

Jays have elite talent in Price, Bautista, Edwin, tulo and now donaldson. Raptors don't.
    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

and the Jays dont have their star player only ably to hit for singles and can only reach the pitchers mound when trowing the ball from shortstop.

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
        Jays have elite talent in Price, Bautista, Edwin, tulo and now donaldson. Raptors don't.
        What I mean is starters went 15-50 ... 8 of 12 turnover were commited by starters ... Price didn't pitch well and infield and outfield were make dumb ass plays on the field and were giving the game away ..

I am just saying the crowd and heck putting up a banner had adverse effect for both teams ..

Comment

I actually did notice a few similarities between the Blue Jays' first two games and the Raptors' two first round series:

- organization & fans seemed happy just to make the playoffs (lowered expectations due to decades of futility)
          - poor coaching with some highly questionable in-game decisions
          - playoff inexperience lead to choking
          - too much reliance on all-or-nothing play to bail them out (ie: home run / ISO)
          - bad defense

Thankfully the bats came alive in Texas and the talent bailed them out. The Raptors have no such talent to bail out the awful coaching.

Comment

No similarities. The Raptors are a mediocre team. The Blue Jays on the other are a championship contending team.

As for raising the banner before the playoffs, that's baseball. The Rangers raised their 2015 AL West banner RIGHT AFTER they beat the Angels 2 sundays ago(last game of the reg season).
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

Maybe we should wait until the results of game 5 to annoint Jays being better or the same !

They do however have superior talent. As far as the fans....there is a sea change in fan reaction/involvement for all sports teams in Toronto. It's probably a generational & demographic thing as compared to 25 yrs. ago....and great to experience. There are some great baseball cities in the US with other sports teams but their generic sports fan seems to only elevate the baseball team for special applause. St. Louis is one of these. Toronto seems to treat most of their teams similarly (with excitement).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I actually did notice a few similarities between the Blue Jays' first two games and the Raptors' two first round series:

- organization & fans seemed happy just to make the playoffs (lowered expectations due to decades of futility)
                - poor coaching with some highly questionable in-game decisions
                - playoff inexperience lead to choking
                - too much reliance on all-or-nothing play to bail them out (ie: home run / ISO)
                - bad defense

Thankfully the bats came alive in Texas and the talent bailed them out. The Raptors have no such talent to bail out the awful coaching.
                Thanks .. you got the point of my post ... I am starting to think maybe starting on the road isn't such a bad thing ... How both clubs came out to start the game seemed like deer stuck in the head light look ...

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                  and the Jays dont have their star player only ably to hit for singles and can only reach the pitchers mound when trowing the ball from shortstop.
                  You're saying this about Lowry? Weird.

If you were hoping to turn DD into a baseball analogy, then I think you were going more for a Frank Thomas/ Troy Glaus comparison.
                  I'd say he's more a Vernon Wells type though.
                  Last edited by Joey; Tue Oct 13, 2015, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
                    Lol.

Oh my

lol

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

If you were hoping to turn DD into a baseball analogy, then I think you were going more for a Frank Thomas/ Troy Glaus comparison.
                      Vernon Wells in his prime was a gold glove outfielder though

I think DeRozan is more of a Alex Rios. Good player, borderline all-star. Rios made the all star team as a Jay twice in his career.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post

lol, I just couldn't help myself.

Comment

The Raptors have never been Vegas favourites to win a championship.

Comment

I had to edit the title of the thread cause of responses ... I am not talking about who had a better chance of winning but how they preformed under the pressure of all eyes on them and a crazy home playoff crowd ...

Them winning the next two playoff road games shows how they are completely different cause in a must win on the road the Raps stunk up the joint ..
                            Last edited by guyroch; Tue Oct 13, 2015, 03:09 PM.

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
                              I had to edit the title of the thread cause of responses
                              No to both questions. As for the team, the Blue Jays are probably the best team in baseball and have superstar talent at 5 positions (RF, 3B, DH, SS and C), along with two Cy Young winners (one of whom is among the premier pitchers of his generation), and power arms to spare. There isn't even a proper comparison to an NBA team outside of maybe the recent Miami Heat but, more likely, back to the Lakers-Celtics of the 80s.

As for the home playoff games, it's really not that complicated and you don't need a bunch of silly old sports tropes to explain the losses. They got outpitched in Game 1. Gallardo owned them and Price was mediocre. In Game 2, Martin made a crucial error, Napoli got lucky and the Jays missed two game-winning home runs by a few feet. That happens.

Look, sometimes you get baseballed. The Cardinals won a 100 games and they are facing elimination. The Dodgers have the best staff in baseball and they might be going home after tonight. The Royals are extremely lucky to be playing tomorrow. Baseball is hard. You don't need nonsense arguments about crowds and experience and other assorted bs to explain why good teams lose.

Comment

Working...
                              X