Raptors May Look To Move Jack This Summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors May Look To Move Jack This Summer

Hmmm .... interesting. Doug feels as though Jack will be the one moved this summer and not Jose. I personally don't like the idea of running with Jose any more and do feel as though Jack is the better fit for this team moving forward. Jose's a great team player and all, but will be a step back for us if its Jack moved and not Jose. JMO

Q: Hey Doug. In regards to the point guard situation, what do you expect them to do over the summer? Will one of the two PGs be starting next year? Or will it be a case of trading one and trying to find a consistent starter. We've seen this year that both Jose and Jarrett are capable of playing like a good NBA point guard at times, so I was just wondering what you think will happen with this situation.

Drew L, Guelph

Doug: I think – but I don’t know – that they’ll try to move one in a some kind of package over the summer just so there’s no doubt who the starter is. And – again, this is just informed speculation gleaned from a few conversations – I think they may look to move Jarrett. But if they can’t in a deal that make sense, I can see them being okay with two returnees.
    Source - Click here

Too many teams are happy with their current point guards.

Not a great market for trading point guards at the moment.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
      Too many teams are happy with their current point guards.

Not a great market for trading point guards at the moment.
      Derek Fisher isn't getting any younger in LA. They certainly could use a Jack or Jose.

Comment

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
        Derek Fisher isn't getting any younger in LA. They certainly could use a Jack or Jose.
        But what do they have to offer in exchange?

Sasha Vujacic's expiring deal and a draft pick? Maybe two picks for Jose?
        nbaroundtable

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
          But what do they have to offer in exchange?

Sasha Vujacic's expiring deal and a draft pick? Maybe two picks for Jose?
          Realistically your right Dave, but if I put on my "NBA Live 10" or "NBA 2K10" hat for a second I think we could pull a Jose for Kobe or Jack for Gasol trade.

But in all seriousness, the pickins might be slim for suitors wanting PG's next season, but truth be told moving one of our guys at the point shouldn't be too hard to do this summer. Or at least I'm hoping it won't be too difficult.

Comment

See here's the thing, I thought they brought Jack because they felt they needed another PG to add depth to the spot. Since Colangelo's been here he's done the following:

- Added a PG to add depth to the spot and help the bench.
            - Removed the same PG due to questions about who's starting games.
            - Now, move the same PG due to questions about who's starting games?...

Ugh... Am I the only one here seeing a trend? How about they keep Jack and move Jose as Jack better fits the other players right now and he plays better defense? Why not break the trend and ship Jose? I know he's more difficult to move and all but still...

Comment

I'm cool with moving Jack as long as it doesn't mean Jose is going to be our starting PG next year. If that's the case, we will be in for another longgggg season of blown coverages and dribble penetration.

I'm a little surprised that Doug thinks they're going to move Jack though... considering at the trade deadline it was Jose's name that kept coming up and with perimeter defense being our glaring weakness I would've assumed Jack would be the one staying...

I guess it's best to use the wait-and-see approach. Then again, Doug was the same guy that said Mitchell wasn't going to get fired.

Comment

Doug is wrong. Calderon will be moved, or at least he should be if you have to pick one of them to trade.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  See here's the thing, I thought they brought Jack because they felt they needed another PG to add depth to the spot. Since Colangelo's been here he's done the following:

- Removed the same PG due to questions about who's starting games.
                  - Now, move the same PG due to questions about who's starting games?...

Ugh... Am I the only one here seeing a trend? How about they keep Jack and move Jose as Jack better fits the other players right now and he plays better defense? Why not break the trend and ship Jose? I know he's more difficult to move and all but still...
                  Exactly!

It certainly doesn't make sense, but I'm wondering if BC is actually serious about getting a legitimate PG now instead of splitting the duty between two mediocre-talented players.

If Jack is moved for another backup pg or a combo guard then I totally agree that it makes no sense and it only alludes further to Colangelo's lack of direction or long term planning.

Comment

Ver few teams are in need of PGs, Miami, Washington, New York are the first to come to mind I dont know how long will Kidd's body hold up in Dallas but they should look for a viable sub who can get their aging vet squad into the promise land.
                    That said Jose contract is too much for any one to swallow so probably the easier on to get rid of is JJ.
                    IMO a team who has JC as starting PG and AB as starting centre has some seriouse problems even if the other player on the starting unit are all All Star caliber. Something has to give.

Comment

So far Jack lived up to his contract and Jose did not.

That is an easy decision who to move.

Comment

I think "fit" is largely irrelevant. The Raptors do not have a core that become a contender, therefore, will need personnel changes.

How one players fits alongside the current cast of characters isn't a deciding issue except in one case -- where Colangelo decides one of the players will definitely stay with the squad for the next 4-5 years and the point guard needs to be a good fit with that player.

The two candidates for that distinction are Andrea Bargnani and Hedo Turkoglu. Hedo needs a point guard who is comfortable giving him the ball so he is better off with a role player. Bargnani is a gigantic defensive liability who needs the entire squad to be built around his flaws.

If Colangelo decides one or the other, or both, are with the Raptors long term then fit is an important issue ... but if either player might leave the Raptors in the future, fit isn't an issue, at least not how well they fit alongside them.
                        nbaroundtable

Comment

Jack is obviously the easier one to move, considering age and contract. It's not really a surprise. And if the Raptors are thinking of moving him, it's not because of the starting question, it's because two starting level PG's is a luxury good teams can have. Teams that don't make the playoffs don't need luxuries. They need basic amenities.

And I know there are quite a few fans who HATE the idea of Calderon starting, but the fact is that the Raptors play better with him than with Jack. WHile he's not a good defensive player, with better defenders around him, it's wouldn't be an issue. On Orlando, Atlanta, Cleveland, San Antonio or the Lakers, he'd look like an All-Star. Offensively, he's one of the most efficient PG's in the league and Steve Nash has proven you can be a poor defender and still excel at PG in the NBA.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

ya i can see Jose to the Lakers
                            maybe a 1st (PLEASE!!) and Vujacic
                            i think the $ would add up and i think Jose would fit in LA

Comment

I do not understand, why do you have to move either Jack or Jose? Is not like we have a problem at PG, the coaching staff just have to use them more efficiently. Where do we lack is the wing positions. There is where Raptors should go and get help. Hedo was a failure and there is no one on the team who can take over games and lock a win. We need a deadly 2 or 3 along with CB4/AB/Jose&Jack/Weems&DeRozan.

Comment

Working...
                              X