This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Yep, Legacy Style. I would expect people to have been pursuing trades already, but yes, it would be understood, that within reason, people are granted some time to explore options. But again, start making those inquiries now please people. Like I said, if we feel like it is taking too long, then we will deal with the issue if/when it arises.

And yes, Contract Terms are not due until September 1st.
    I doubt trades happen until the pick comes and others see a player they like that is available.

I am a strong Yarb to get this going

Sent from my HUAWEI TAG-TL00 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
      I doubt trades happen until the pick comes and others see a player they like that is available.
      Not what I meant .. I just meant people can discuss the framework of trades .. ie "if so-and-so drops, might you consider so-and-so."

Comment

Ya now that Summer League is done, I'm almost inclined to say lets just start now and see how it goes. If we need to apply deadlines or time limits then we'll figure it out. Lets treat this as a learning opportunity I say... Anyone totally against this approach?
        I don't have a pick but I am firmly against this approach. Too much time between means people are choosing with potentially very different information. I don't see this as an improvement on the current process; it allows more trades but potentially damages the integrity of the picks.

Do whatever you want this year but I currently have multiple picks in the next two drafts and do not want to see this process then. If a live draft cannot be done in a timely fashion then it shouldn't be done. We've let the issue sit too long this year and still many haven't chimed in from a couple of weeks ago when it was raised.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          I don't have a pick but I am firmly against this approach. Too much time between means people are choosing with potentially very different information. I don't see this as an improvement on the current process; it allows more trades but potentially damages the integrity of the picks.

Do whatever you want this year but I currently have multiple picks in the next two drafts and do not want to see this process then. If a live draft cannot be done in a timely fashion then it shouldn't be done. We've let the issue sit too long this year and still many haven't chimed in from a couple of weeks ago when it was raised.
          what if it went smoothly and easily this year? i don't expect this to be like legacy at all. i believe, rightly or wrongly, that most of us just want to get this done and this seems like a no fuss way to do it. i don't expect this to take much more than 3 days. if it gets there.

Comment

what if it went smoothly and easily this year? i don't expect this to be like legacy at all. i believe, rightly or wrongly, that most of us just want to get this done and this seems like a no fuss way to do it. i don't expect this to take much more than 3 days. if it gets there.
            Changes nothing. A significant player injury or something could just as easily happen any other year.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

i don't expect this to take much more than 3 days. if it gets there.
              Also, we haven't heard from over 50% of the league on this proposal, so perhaps your timeline is overly optimistic but regardless, 3 days still provides a lot of opportunity for an injury.

Comment

Ya now that Summer League is done, I'm almost inclined to say lets just start now and see how it goes. If we need to apply deadlines or time limits then we'll figure it out. Lets treat this as a learning opportunity I say... Anyone totally against this approach?
                I'm all for this. I have my pick ready, just give the signal.

I think a live forum draft is tough. Something will come up for someone(s) and slow the process.

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                Yeah, it's only 16 picks. Worst case this is done in a two to three days.

Axel wrote: View Post
                Also, we haven't heard from over 50% of the league on this proposal, so perhaps your timeline is overly optimistic but regardless, 3 days still provides a lot of opportunity for an injury.
                I think all it would take is league email stating the draft is a go and you'd get a rush of people coming in. My question is, so what if it takes a week? To start now at our leisure vs live in August, in those scenarios you're still not done until August. Except if we start now we don't need to be sitting by the computer for a day refreshing a thread.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                  I think all it would take is league email stating the draft is a go and you'd get a rush of people coming in. My question is, so what if it takes a week? To start now at our leisure vs live in August, in those scenarios you're still not done until August. Except if we start now we don't need to be sitting by the computer for a day refreshing a thread.
                  Because there is potential for some teams to be drafting with significantly more information (injury is the most obvious example) than others. It's irrelevant when the draft happens, as long as it's done all at the same time. The risk there is substantially more than any benefit from doing it "live"; which seems to be based solely on more fun and more trades. Well we seem to have more than enough trades in this league as it is, so I don't really see any real benefit to outweigh the risk.

If that is all it takes to get everyone to chime in then we should do that before we proceed. But we've done that before on league rule changes and it didn't have a dramatic impact on who showed up and chimed in. It's always the same few people for the most part. Plus, it's unscheduled part of the summer. People could have vacation plans and be far from thinking about checking in on stuff like this.

Comment

• I really don't understand the sentiment that the draft needs to be changed.

It's not ideal but it is also fair and without much flaw.

Comment

Because there is potential for some teams to be drafting with significantly more information (injury is the most obvious example) than others. It's irrelevant when the draft happens, as long as it's done all at the same time. The risk there is substantially more than any benefit from doing it "live"; which seems to be based solely on more fun and more trades. Well we seem to have more than enough trades in this league as it is, so I don't really see any real benefit to outweigh the risk.

If that is all it takes to get everyone to chime in then we should do that before we proceed. But we've done that before on league rule changes and it didn't have a dramatic impact on who showed up and chimed in. It's always the same few people for the most part. Plus, it's unscheduled part of the summer. People could have vacation plans and be far from thinking about checking in on stuff like this.
                      Summer league is over, how much of an advantage is a couple days? We're not talking fantasy football redraft in NFL preseason. This is a rookie entry draft after summer league. I'm sorry but I don't see the danger. Most guys not taken in the first day aren't even going to make an impact this season.

Comment

Summer league is over, how much of an advantage is a couple days? We're not talking fantasy football redraft in NFL preseason. This is a rookie entry draft after summer league. I'm sorry but I don't see the danger. Most guys not taken in the first day aren't even going to make an impact this season.
                        Well Olympic events are happening now which could easily see another Paul George type injury dramatically altering a team's depth chart. So a couple of days (which is pure speculation at this point) could be pretty different. Or a medical concern can arise at any point (Bosh's blood clots). Perhaps low-med likelihood but very high on the impact meter.

So what is the benefit of doing the draft this way?

Comment

So what is the benefit of doing the draft this way?
                          I'm not the one who proposed it so I am purely speaking for myself here, but I'd say convenience is high up on my list of reasons. It's a lot easier to check in through the day than to wait by the thread refreshing many times over. While doing that what if one person forgot about the draft and is on the beach somewhere, what if someone else is pulling an OT shift and they're both directly after the person who has trade offers out to both parties?

Axel wrote: View Post
                          Well Olympic events are happening now which could easily see another Paul George type injury dramatically altering a team's depth chart. So a couple of days (which is pure speculation at this point) could be pretty different. Or a medical concern can arise at any point (Bosh's blood clots). Perhaps low-med likelihood but very high on the impact meter.
                          Honestly, I think the risk of injuries is over blown. So it all happens on the same day. Next day Pail George blows his ACL and Bosh retires. What now? Those parties involved in this league are still impacted by unforeseen circumstances. This is part of fantasy and these rules will always be present.

Comment

I'm not the one who proposed it so I am purely speaking for myself here, but I'd say convenience is high up on my list of reasons. It's a lot easier to check in through the day than to wait by the thread refreshing many times over. While doing that what if one person forgot about the draft and is on the beach somewhere, what if someone else is pulling an OT shift and they're both directly after the person who has trade offers out to both parties?
                            How is that more convenient than the current method? You can send your list at your leisure and everyone sees the picks at the same time.

Comment

• I'm rusty, so remind me who I send my picks to? If you're discussing advantages of timing of the draft, what sort of advantage comes with having everyone's draft board pre-draft? I mean if I had that I can honestly say it would impact my own strategy even if it didn't change my pick, it's only natural. If they're released to everyone then now I'm showing my hand to everyone? I won't do that so now I have to sit by the PC and refresh the whole morning of the draft because I'm a strategic bastard who takes any advantage he can get while not daring to give anyone an inch.

Is that situation any better than drafting Monday and the guy five picks down from me is drafting tomorrow? I don't know. I'm mean personally, I'm picking 1st and 5th, I'm done in the first day no matter what and I'm not worried about some tough luck injury affecting my team for a loss but affecting Skywalker down at 15th overall for a gain. Thems the breaks of fantasy in my books. Many hearts have been broken because a guy took a sudden move that he's taken a million times before without incident only to have this time lead to catastrophic injury.

At the end of the day I'm down for whatever, I'm just chiming in because the question came up and I love talking fantasy sports.

Comment

I'm rusty, so remind me who I send my picks to? If you're discussing advantages of timing of the draft, what sort of advantage comes with having everyone's draft board pre-draft? I mean if I had that I can honestly say it would impact my own strategy even if it didn't change my pick, it's only natural. If they're released to everyone then now I'm showing my hand to everyone? I won't do that so now I have to sit by the PC and refresh the whole morning of the draft because I'm a strategic bastard who takes any advantage he can get while not daring to give anyone an inch.

Is that situation any better than drafting Monday and the guy five picks down from me is drafting tomorrow? I don't know. I'm mean personally, I'm picking 1st and 5th, I'm done in f the first day no matter what and I'm not worried about some tough luck injury affecting my team for a loss but affecting Skywalker down at 15th overall for a gain. Thems the breaks of fantasy in my books. Many heart have been broken because a guy took a sudden move that he's taken a million times before without incident only to have this time lead to catastrophic injury.

At the end of the day I'm down for whatever, I'm just chiming in because the question came up and I love talking fantasy sports.
                                Last year the picks were sent to me because I didn't have a pick and Joey did; so literally zero concern there.

I don't care about this year's draft because I don't have a pick, but having multiple in each of the next two drafts, I care about equal playing field because there are zero fantasy situations where people get to draft days later than someone else. So I don't agree that it's just the breaks in fantasy.

But if we are changing the rules, we should have consistency. This feels very arbitrary to make the change now. We started the conversation weeks ago and it's still the same conversation with the same people. If people aren't able to do a one-evening (or afternoon) event with 5-10 minute intervals, then status quo makes much more sense. Even within that live event people can opt out and send their list in, so it gives options. But this proposed legacy style draft, the potential impact is on everyone whether they accept it or not. Just because you are comfortable with it, this year, it doesn't mean everyone is or should be.

So again, what benefits are there to this change? The risk is clear even if we don't agree on the impact but the benefits aren't. More trades seems like the only one.

Comment

Working...
                                X