Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm good either way really, but I do prefer to do it all at once. What if we start today and the owner with, say, the 8th pick doesn't log in until Aug 1 when it was scheduled for?

Comment

• Good points, no doubt. I'll happily participate in either method.

Comment

• This is going to sound funny but I shouldn't have a vote this time around anyway. I say that because I don't have the experiences you guys have in this particular setting. After going through the process I might flipflop, who knows? Its dangerous to count a vote from myself, 007 and Cody because we don't know the experience of the live on board draft like you guys do. Just my two cents. Like I said, I love talking fantasy sports even if it involves voluntarily shooting myself in the foot.

Comment

• Axel is right... if the rookie draft took a LONG time to conduct, those drafting later do in fact have an edge on information and whatnot.

That being said, I am not a fan of the way we run the draft right now and would prefer a more 'live' feel.

Here's how I propose we accomplish this:

1.) Set time and date (Sunday, August 31 at 7 pm EST - Time and date subject to change)
          2.) All teams drafting are asked to be present
          3.) If you ALREADY know you can't make the time, follow the old protocol and submit your list to Axel/??? (probably need a 2nd member to verify?)
          4.) Once the draft starts, you have 10 minutes to make your pick. Remember, this will NOT take 160 minutes, because a lot of people already know what they are doing. It just gives a bit of time to feel out the position, and make adjustments for any surprises.
          5.) If a team doesn't show up for the draft, and doesn't submit a list, their pick is void.

I think this is efficient, addresses the main point raised by Axel (correct me if I'm wrong), and also adds a fun, live element to this aspect of our game.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Another idea would be to run the draft through a chat service of some sort. Being mic'd up would be kind of cool but I'm referring to a classic text based chat. Kind of like what you get during Yahoo live drafts discussion only we run it all through there for the draft. That way you immediately know who is active and who is not, they're all on the list of names in the chat.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              Another idea would be to run the draft through a chat service of some sort. Being mic'd up would be kind of cool but I'm referring to a classic text based chat. Kind of like what you get during Yahoo live drafts discussion only we run it all through there for the draft. That way you immediately know who is active and who is not, they're all on the list of names in the chat.
              Does MSN messenger even still exist? ICQ?
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• skywalker wrote: View Post
                Axel is right... if the rookie draft took a LONG time to conduct, those drafting later do in fact have an edge on information and whatnot.

That being said, I am not a fan of the way we run the draft right now and would prefer a more 'live' feel.

Here's how I propose we accomplish this:

1.) Set time and date (Sunday, August 31 at 7 pm EST - Time and date subject to change)
                2.) All teams drafting are asked to be present
                3.) If you ALREADY know you can't make the time, follow the old protocol and submit your list to Axel/??? (probably need a 2nd member to verify?)
                4.) Once the draft starts, you have 10 minutes to make your pick. Remember, this will NOT take 160 minutes, because a lot of people already know what they are doing. It just gives a bit of time to feel out the position, and make adjustments for any surprises.
                5.) If a team doesn't show up for the draft, and doesn't submit a list, their pick is void.

I think this is efficient, addresses the main point raised by Axel (correct me if I'm wrong), and also adds a fun, live element to this aspect of our game.

Thoughts?
                If we are making changes to the draft, this would be my preferred method.

I would go so far as to say Wednesday August 3rd at 7pm EST is an ideal target. It's mid-week (less vacation/holiday interference) and near the current draft date of August 1st - time allows for all Canadian timezones to participate (Apollo on the rock and 007 in David Suzuki territory).

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Not sure but I got this as the number one hit when I googled: https://www.chatzy.com/#0

Comment

Not sure but I got this as the number one hit when I googled: https://www.chatzy.com/#0
                    Interesting.

Comment

• I just tried it out. How it works is someone fills out the form, giving it a title and description along with dropping in everyone's email address. Then all you do is hit 'create my chat'. I did it with my own email and I received the link almost immediately. It did land in my junk folder however. You can even send PM's through the chat. No logins,or anything. Even if this is a no go, it might serve some use around here down the line... Maybe for Legacy?

Comment

Another idea would be to run the draft through a chat service of some sort. Being mic'd up would be kind of cool but I'm referring to a classic text based chat. Kind of like what you get during Yahoo live drafts discussion only we run it all through there for the draft. That way you immediately know who is active and who is not, they're all on the list of names in the chat.
                        Chatzy (if you guys would be willing to go website based, like Apollo mentioned) or Google Hangouts would work for this suggestion easily.

Chatzy's PM service only works though if the room is a premium room or the person pays for there account to be premium though. I use Chatzy for other stuff I do (it's very popular among the furry & roleplay community, along with me using it for business meetings too), and I love the website's little features. Then again, I've wanted a chat line on here for games and stuff, along with NBA what-if's we all have.

Chatzy is reliable and works flawlessly as long as you're not on mobile, than it can be finicky.
                        Last edited by Cody73; Mon Jul 25, 2016, 12:57 PM.
                        Axel wrote:
                        Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• As I stated in my original post, I was looking at this as a learning opportunity to see if we can implement a more fun & interactive way to do a Draft that majority of Managers have not been pleased with in the past, while keeping it relatively simple. Many in the past had expressed interest in doing Legacy style, and with Summer League over and nothing happening, I figured there is next to nil chance of anything happening that would sway draft choices.

If that's no longer peoples preference, and we want to pick a date and time and just say be or be square, that's fine too, I'm on the record as preferring this method. I really don't care though. Just trying to get this moving, as I think people would prefer anything besides previous years format, that basically worked out to a Christmas morning surprise of who you ended up drafting.
                          Last edited by Joey; Mon Jul 25, 2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            Just trying to get this moving, as I think people would prefer anything besides previous years format, that basically worked out to a Christmas morning surprise of who you ended up drafting.
                            Who doesn't like Christmas morning?

Comment

• Last edited by Joey; Mon Jul 25, 2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• Heir, Prince of Cambridge

Comment

Working...
                                X