Game #1: Indiana Pacers 99 - Toronto Raptors 106

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I want to hate this decision, but I actually don't mind it, given the particular matchups.

I like bringing Ross into the starting lineup over Patterson, to ensure there's still a 3pt threat to spread the floor (which you don't have with Scola and wouldn't have with JJ).

DC defending George - good

Ross defending Miles - good (better than asking Scola/PP to guard George/Miles)

DeRozan defending Ellis - bad (I actually hope Ross guards Ellis, though I'd try to let DeRozan post-up Ellis offensively)
    With Toronto weak the 4 it's not as though Casey is sitting an All-Star when he decides to do this, but I still think going at George with Scola would be more of an advantage than starting Ross. Bench is less important, but the backup 2/3 is also weak if Ross is starting. Are we gonna see heavy Powell/Bruno minutes tonight? Lowry/CoJo/Wright playing both guard positions for extended minutes? That would be fine against Indy's backcourt, but again you're just matching up to what your opponent wants to do...
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Using JJ solves so many problems and not using him creates so many

Comment

• I know the game is "moving to positionless basketball" but over the past two or so years, all we Raptor fans have known has been a 1-2-2-4-5 position lineup (implying Ross is better suited to be a 2 than a 3). It should be interesting to see what if any effect having a 1-2-3-4-5 line up has. I realize this is tossing up a softball for anyone who says we're going to have a 1-1-1-1-1 lineup but please resist the temptation.

Comment

I want to hate this decision, but I actually don't mind it, given the particular matchups.

I like bringing Ross into the starting lineup over Patterson, to ensure there's still a 3pt threat to spread the floor (which you don't have with Scola and wouldn't have with JJ).

DeRozan defending Ellis - bad (I actually hope Ross guards Ellis, though I'd try to let DeRozan post-up Ellis offensively)
          It won't happen but I'd like to see CoJo handle Ellis. I think he'd do a good job. It would mean DD will be coming off the bench though.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

Watermelons for all my friends!!
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Yeah, but he won more than he lost
                Not after the first 25 games.

Comment

Carroll guarding George good

Carroll guarding Milsap/Favors/ZBo bad

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                    Basically gives in to Indy before tip-off. They don't have to question anything or adjust if things go wrong early
                    I disagree. I think it puts the Raptors' best defender on Indy's best player, without having to ask a traditional big to defend Miles.

It also lures Indy's PF out to the perimeter to guard a 3pt threat, removing a big body from the lane, which bodes well for Lowry/DeRozan/Ross dribble-penetration and JV/DeRozan post-ups.

I don't like the lineup in general, but I do for this matchup (as I indicated in my previous post), especially since George is Indy's only real threat. I think forcing Indy's supporting cast to beat you is a sound strategy.
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Oct 28, 2015, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I disagree. I think it puts the Raptors' best defender on Indy's best player, without having to ask a traditional big to defend Miles.

It also lures Indy's PF out to the perimeter to guard a 3pt threat, removing a big body from the lane, which bodes well for Lowry/DeRozan/Ross dribble-penetration and JV/DeRozan post-ups.
                      Miles is steaky. He is liable to go 4-4 or 0-8 regardless of who guards him. Make Indy question this lineup. It like the Cavs last year until they play a couple games they are vulnerable to anything.

Doesn't matter, just stoked for a real NBA game. Just wish there was a way for the Raptors players to win and Casey to get fired.

Comment

My issue is it makes things easier on them defensively. Now they'll just hide Ellis on Ross. They won't be able to attack him. And with Scola out, it'll be harder to attack George/Miles (whoever they'd put on him, not sure they'd put George).

I thought matching up big to start was a great way to get one or two of their starters in foul trouble (obviously not guaranteed). Just post up one of Ellis, George or Miles on every play for the first 3-4 minutes.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          My issue is it makes things easier on them defensively. Now they'll just hide Ellis on Ross. They won't be able to attack him. And with Scola out, it'll be harder to attack George/Miles (whoever they'd put on him, not sure they'd put George).

I thought matching up big to start was a great way to get one or two of their starters in foul trouble (obviously not guaranteed). Just post up one of Ellis, George or Miles on every play for the first 3-4 minutes.
                          I agree that there's a trade-off - DC give the Raptors an advantage defensively, while Scola gives them an advantage offensively.

In this instance, I prefer the defensive approach, for two reasons:
                          1. I don't think Indy has enough secondary scoring; shut down George = shut down Indy
                          2. I don't think Indy is great defensively in general, so there are still matchups to exploit (pulling their PF to the perimeter should help at least as much as the direct Scola/George matchup would)

Comment

• I honestly think you can beat Indiana with either "small" ball or "big" ball.. Indiana isn't very good. Best talent is George of course, but he can only do so much.. plus he's changing positions which is difficult for anybody.

I'd be surprised if Indiana makes the playoffs even in the East.

Comment

I don't like the lineup in general, but I do for this matchup (as I indicated in my previous post), especially since George is Indy's only real threat. I think forcing Indy's supporting cast to beat you is a sound strategy.
                              Your last paragraph is why I don't get your concerns.

You get your best defender on George, but you could do that before anyway. George is Indy's best player, and Ellis is easily their 2nd best as a scorer at least. You'll put less pressure on each now *when they're on D. It's easier to hide Ellis and George now. And since Miles mostly depends on other to create looks for him, if your D is breaking down and making him an option for kickouts, it really doesn't matter to me if you've got DeMar or Scola on him (since I assume that's who they'll put DeMar on as the easiest matchup).

It's a "better" defensive matchup, but it also takes away our chance to force them out of their comfort zone. And given they're a team with poor size and depth, they'd likely have a hard time adjusting.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Oct 28, 2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• They also could have run KL-Ross-DC with Scola and JV running the offense

Comment

Working...
                                X