The World Soccer Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
    As a side note, this thread started out as a Toronto FC discussion. What a miserable state of affairs that team finds itself in. So sad man.
    Coincidentally I never knew anything about Toronto FC until yesterday when I heard Aron Winter was fired as a headcoach. I never even knew the guy was a coach (anywhere); I don't think a lot of people over here knew. So, if he had anything to do with the miserable state of affairs, I apologise on behalf of the all the Dutch people...

Comment

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
      Another one of my favourites (behind only Brazil as the soccer nation I cheer loudest for), I would love to see the Oranje win. I will def be rooting for them. It's going to be tough though, like you mention they have a very tough group. Clearly the "group of death" in this tourney. I think it will be the Dutch and Germans to make it out of that group.
      Unfortunately we don't play like the Dutch should play. Due to realism (our defense not being the most talented - euphemism) our coach plays with two defending midfielders. It's hard to argue with this, as he is right about our defense and he got to the final 2 years ago with this system. But results aren't everything. I'm much more fond of my memories of the European Championship four years ago when we also played in 'the group of death', but trashed Italy by 3-0 and France by 4-1 (both countries were rated higher in that tournament than in this one). Those were two beautiful games (with ugly hangovers the next day) where we played football like Holland should play. Yes, we were eliminated in the quarter-final (thanks to one of the most brilliant Dutch coaches, Hiddink who coached Russia) but two years ago I could barely get excited, because the way we played was not as engaging. Results aren't everything, I'd be much more pleased with us playing the Dutch attacking way and not getting any title than getting a title every 20 years.

Comment

What a disappointing result for the Dutch. Shocking upset by the Danes

RVP was horrible. Terrible touches, couldn't finish. Horrible.

The "group of Death" just became that much harder.

Comment

Blegh

Comment

Well, today is our last (pretty small) chance at surviving the group stage (group B); gotta beat Portugal by at least 2 goals and Germany has to beat Denmark. We can also go out without getting a single point... Our play has been thoroughly disappointing. I expect their will be some major changes in the playing style and starting eleven.

All four teams in our group can still make the second round, so there will be no holding back by any of the teams.

Yesterday Group A had their final two games and suprisingly the two worst teams from the first 4 matches in the group stage came out on top. Russia, an outsider for the championship, certainly after their good performance in the first game (and first half of the second), lost to Greece, one of the worst playing teams so far, and is out. (These results totally messed up my fantasy league as I had Russia at 1 and Poland at 2 which was looking good till yesterday).

Group C will have their final two games on monday. Spain is, as expected, in the lead. But they play their last game against Croatia who have 4 points as well and as we've seen in group A, strange things can happen (certainly considering all the rain we've had these last few days); Spain can't lose to Croatia as Italy is expected to beat Ireland and would pass them in the standings.

In group D Engeland had a somewhat lucky win against Sweden, scoring the 3-2 in the last few minutes after falling behind 1-2 with 30 minutes of play left. They are behind France on goaldifference, both teams have 4 points after Ukraine fell apart in the second half against France. Even though they can't place for the next round, Sweden won't want to leave the tournament with zero points and it will be interesting to see if they can make it difficult on France in the last game. The most likely scenario is France getting at least one point from that game to go through to the knock-out stage together with the winner of England versus Ukraine (a draw will be enough for England).

Comment

Wow I don't think anyone had the Dutch finishing at the bottom of their group with ZERO points. So sad man.

I'm guessing Bert van Marwijk will get the boot.

Oh well here's looking forward to Brazil 2014 (which I will be attending! )

Comment

Germany
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Pirlo is a bad ass.

Balls of steel.
                  Last edited by Red and White; Tue Jun 26, 2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

^^^Vid no longer available. But I caught the game...that was gutsy for sure. Or as the commentator put it, "cheeky".

Comment

Sick, wicked and nasty.

Comment

That was a great goal by Balotelli. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to be management for City now. When Balotelli comes back he's probably going to be even worse to handle than before. Might make for some good tv next season during City games if e.g. he has to play on a wing position again or gets substituted.

Didn't expect Italy to beat Germany at all. I hope the Italians take it as the Spanish have been playing way to boring and 'safe' with the great team they have. The team with the most gifted players has played some of the most boring matches. It annoyed me so much last night I even switched off the game (after having watched all games, except for about 4 quarters I missed due to working late).

Comment

Holy smokes big time upset imo. Balotelli came through finally after lacking an elite finishing touch for most of the tourney.

It's gonna be a great finals. I actually think the Italians are going to pull another upset and defeat the Spaniards (I hope not though).

Comment

Well, the Italians have been playing very 'unitalian', Pirlo has been stunningly good and it's probably the first time I'm going to root for Italy; I'd be rooting for the Spanish normally, but I really dislike their approach (and thus their games) this tournament.

Comment

Yes the Spaniards have been playing safe, boring, lackluster, whatever you wanna call it footy. And I can give credit where credit is due, the Italians deserve to be in the finals. But under no circumstances will I ever root for the Italians. Never. Ever. Not gonna happen. I don't wanna be hearing their over the top obnoxious bragging for the next four years. sigh

Comment

I'm drinking away my sorrows today. FML ... of all the teams we had to lose too, it had to be the Italians. Don't get me wrong, they were the better team yesterday and deserved the win, its that fan-base here in Canada which irks me. Ugh!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X