Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has your opinion of Masai Ujiri changed lately ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A.I wrote: View Post
    Changed your opinion now? Masai and his meeting with Aldridge was the only reason Aldridge even considered Toronto as an option.

The extra details are nice though.
    My opinion of Masai was high before, and a little higher after I read this. A minor change of opinion.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
      My opinion of Masai was high before, and a little higher after I read this. A minor change of opinion.
      I'm just going to echo this as I'm in the same boat.

Sent from my SM-G386W using Tapatalk
      "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
      "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
        If DD gets a max contract or close to it would you consider us trapped in the middle?
        I'm honestly a lot more worried about Casey being back than Derozan. If Casey is resigned then we're definitely stuck in the middle.

Comment

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
            I'm honestly a lot more worried about Casey being back than Derozan. If Casey is resigned then we're definitely stuck in the middle.
            As much as I despise his coaching, bringing back Casey would be far less worse than throwing a max/near-max at Demar, just because you can fire a coach but you have to pay assets to get rid of a bad contract.

That said, I really wonder what Masai thinks when he watches Casey coach a game. He's had so many opportunities to fire him he must have some rationale or rationalization about what Casey is doing. By now it's probably reached Stockholm Syndrome levels.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
              As much as I despise his coaching, bringing back Casey would be far less worse than throwing a max/near-max at Demar, just because you can fire a coach but you have to pay assets to get rid of a bad contract.

That said, I really wonder what Masai thinks when he watches Casey coach a game. He's had so many opportunities to fire him he must have some rationale or rationalization about what Casey is doing. By now it's probably reached Stockholm Syndrome levels.
              Demar under a different coach >>>>>>>> Keeping Casey

Casey will do whatever MU wants because he knows he's lucky to be employed. Thibs wont

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post

He hasn't had any opportunities to fire him. Money and the bottom line is what matters to our owners. They will not pay millions of dollars to a coach to go away while simultaneously paying millions of dollars to a new coach to do the same job, which is why we're still stuck with Casey. This is the last guaranteed year on Casey's deal, so we can drop him without it costing us a penny now.

Demar can always be traded, re-signing wouldn't be the end of the world like re-signing Casey would be.
                Last edited by Primer; Mon Nov 16, 2015, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  He hasn't had any opportunities to fire him. Money and the bottom line is what matters to our owners. They will not pay millions of dollars to a coach to go away while simultaneously paying millions of dollars to a new coach to do the same job, which is why we're still stuck with Casey. This is the last guaranteed year on Casey's deal, so we can drop him without it costing us a penny now.

Demar can always be traded, re-signing wouldn't be the end of the world like re-signing Casey would be.
                  Masai is the president and general manager. He could have fired Casey the day he walked in the door, or any time after. That's the job. NBA coaching salaries (even Casey's $3mm) are a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things--that's why so many are fired.

You've also been making the point that the media and fans wouldn't have liked it. But the right decision isn't always the popular one. Vinny Del Negro and Mark Jackson were both fired after achieving greater playoff success than Casey did.

Leiweke gave Masai a five-year deal so he could enact a long-term vision without worrying about short-term results. If Masai chose continuity, that is on him. His job security was never in question. He had a tremendous amount of goodwill. Even now he is practically bulletproof; the first cracks really only manifested after the Ross deal.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I want to know the source of your endless simpson gifs.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      Masai is the president and general manager. He could have fired Casey the day he walked in the door, or any time after. That's the job. NBA coaching salaries (even Casey's $3mm) are a drop in the bucket in the grand scheme of things--that's why so many are fired.

You've also been making the point that the media and fans wouldn't have liked it. But the right decision isn't always the popular one. Vinny Del Negro and Mark Jackson were both fired after achieving greater playoff success than Casey did.

Leiweke gave Masai a five-year deal so he could enact a long-term vision without worrying about short-term results. If Masai chose continuity, that is on him. His job security was never in question. He had a tremendous amount of goodwill. Even now he is practically bulletproof; the first cracks really only manifested after the Ross deal.
                      That's just not true and has been shown to be not true across the NBA every single year. When you're owned by a media conglomerate who has to answer to shareholders than don't give a shit about basketball but do give a shit about money, then paying $4M to someone to do nothing is not acceptable. The Raptor's don't bring in billions of dollars, $4M is not an inconsequential amount realative to Raptor revenues. If our owner was Mark Cuban then sure, we'd probably have carte blanche to waste $4M, but he's not our owner and we can't do that. Masai has bosses to answer to, just like how he can't go as much over the cap as he wants, because our owners don't want to pay the luxury tax, and absolutely don't want to pay the repeater tax.

Comment

• I finally understand why Masai's held onto Casey so long, and continues to.

It's because there's one man he's waiting for, one man to be the next Raptors head coach. The only man.

He's not quite ready, but he'll be ready soon. Just needs to get a little seasoning overseas:

"Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          I finally understand why Masai's held onto Casey so long, and continues to.

It's because there's one man he's waiting for, one man to be the next Raptors head coach. The only man.

He's not quite ready, but he'll be ready soon. Just needs to get a little seasoning overseas:

Can't be worse.

#BringBackZan
                          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I just wanted to point out that Masai's four free agents of 2015 have started to produce extremely well.

Cory/Carroll/Scola/Biyombo (the shooting can get better, but contributing big time)

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              I just wanted to point out that Masai's four free agents of 2015 have started to produce extremely well.

Cory/Carroll/Scola/Biyombo (the shooting can get better, but contributing big time)
                              That's why they were signed

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                                I just wanted to point out that Masai's four free agents of 2015 have started to produce extremely well.

All that great work and then T-Ross signing makes me think he had a brain cramp ..

Comment

Working...
                                X