The Great Tank Debate Returns!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly, but Masai said the test for this squad was going to be last year's playoffs, and Casey somehow escaped consequences while his assistants got the axe.

What should happen and what will happen are rarely the same thing in Raptorland.
    Masai clearly values the GM-coach working relationship far higher than any of us realize. That's not trivial in the massive ego driven NBA, as we just saw Thibs run out of town for non-basketball reasons. That's also why you see a lot of mediocre retread beta coaches like Randy Wittman, Mike Brown, Terry Stotts, etc.. get chance after chance. They are non-threatening to GMs and ownership. Masai's loyalty to Casey could end up being his undoing.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Masai clearly values the GM-coach working relationship far higher than any of us realize. That's not trivial in the massive ego driven NBA, as we just saw Thibs run out of town for non-basketball reasons. That's also why you see a lot of mediocre retread beta coaches like Randy Wittman, Mike Brown, Terry Stotts, etc.. get chance after chance. They are non-threatening to GMs and ownership. Masai's loyalty to Casey could end up being his undoing.
      There are so many theories for why casey is still a coach that I honestly have no clue why he is still here.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
        There are so many theories for why casey is still a coach that I honestly have no clue why he is still here.
        This is very true. I'm still of the opinion he wanted him gone but Bell-Rogers said "we aren't wasting $4 million dollars when we're turning record profits". Won't be an issue anymore though, we don't owe Casey shit beyond this season. Expect me to enter a mental institution if we resign Casey.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
          This is very true. I'm still of the opinion he wanted him gone but Bell-Rogers said "we aren't wasting $4 million dollars when we're turning record profits". Won't be an issue anymore though, we don't owe Casey shit beyond this season. Expect me to enter a mental institution if we resign Casey.
          This has been my chosen theory. With the D-League, All Star Game, new facility, etc. I figured this made sense. I admit still, I really don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

Comment

• One thing on tanking, in past years many teams were going this route....many being upwards of 5-8.

The current make up of the league has just 1 team outright tanking - Philly.

Pelicans are besieged by injury.

Lakers don't have their own pick unless top 3 - huge gamble if they are trying to lose.

Brooklyn doesn't own their pick.

Everyone else is doing their best to win.

That might change come another 20 games but right now, about 14 games into the season, I don't recall this much parity in the league in a long long time.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              if we re-sign casey, i will find it very difficult to watch this team in the future. Got better things to do than watch iso jumpshits.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                This has been my chosen theory. With the D-League, All Star Game, new facility, etc. I figured this made sense. I admit still, I really don't know what is going on behind the scenes.
                None of us do. Which is why I'm holding out on blaming Masai like some people are. People saying Masai is too loyal or not good at picking coaches, etc.

Comment

• Well, Masai gave Mermuys the D-League job.

Look at how that's turned out. I know it's about development, but getting into the playoffs equals more experience.
                  Axel wrote:
                  Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                  KeonClark wrote:
                  I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                    Well, Masai gave Mermuys the D-League job.

Look at how that's turned out. I know it's about development, but getting into the playoffs equals more experience.
                    The D-league could go winless and nobody would care as long as our guys get the repetitions they need.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                      One thing on tanking, in past years many teams were going this route....many being upwards of 5-8.

The current make up of the league has just 1 team outright tanking - Philly.

Pelicans are besieged by injury.

Lakers don't have their own pick unless top 3 - huge gamble if they are trying to lose.

Brooklyn doesn't own their pick.

Everyone else is doing their best to win.

That might change come another 20 games but right now, about 14 games into the season, I don't recall this much parity in the league in a long long time.
                      I was thinking that as well, this year should be easier to tank than some recent years. However, I don't know that this draft stacks up all that well either.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                        I was thinking that as well, this year should be easier to tank than some recent years. However, I don't know that this draft stacks up all that well either.
                        You kidding? This draft is heavy and deep - get into the top 7-8 and you are in good shape. Probably no Wiggins/Anthony Davis, mind you they said that about last year and Towns is looking pretty great.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          You kidding? This draft is heavy and deep - get into the top 7-8 and you are in good shape. Probably no Wiggins/Anthony Davis, mind you they said that about last year and Towns is looking pretty great.
                          This is a terrible draft after 5-6. Ton of them can go 10-30. Its a complete crapshoot

Comment

Working...
                          X