Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does JV rank among Centers after Game 13

Ran numbers directly from NBA.com

Variables used were all starting centers, playing in at least 4 games, and playing at least 20 minutes.

The Raw Numbers

Minutes per game: JV 19th @ 28.1 (drummond 1st @ 37.3)
    FGAs per game: JV 19th @ 9.3 (Cousins 1st @v20)
    FTAs oer game: JV 14th @ 3.8 (Cousins 1st @ 11)
    FG%: 7th at 56.2% (WCS 1st at 73.9%- on 3 shots)
    Rebounds per game JV Tied for 10th at 9.8 (Drummond 1st at 18.9)
    Points per game: JV 16th @ 13.5 (Cousins first at 27.5)

Points per minute. JV Tied for 15th @ .48 (Cousins 1st @ .85)
    Rebounds per minute JV 9th @ .35 (Drummond 1st @ .51)

Offensive Rating JV 1st @ 109.9
    Defensive Rating JV 14th @ 99.4 (Ian Mahinmi 1st @ 93)
    Net Rating JV 2nd @ +10.4 (Steven Adams 1st @ +11)

ts% JV Tied for 6th @ 61.2% (WCS 1st at 70.5%)

Usage JV is at 18th....18th.....at 19.8%

On Our team JV is first in offensive rating, 3rd in defensive rating, 1st in net rating, 2nd in ts%, second in player impact estimate.

JV is criminally underused among teammates and peers and all numbers show no reason for that happening.

Snooch wrote: View Post
    Ran numbers directly from NBA.com

Variables used were all starting centers, playing in at least 4 games, and playing at least 20 minutes.

The Raw Numbers

Minutes per game: JV 19th @ 28.1 (drummond 1st @ 37.3)
    FGAs per game: JV 19th @ 9.3 (Cousins 1st @v20)
    FTAs oer game: JV 14th @ 3.8 (Cousins 1st @ 11)
    FG%: 7th at 56.2% (WCS 1st at 73.9%- on 3 shots)
    Rebounds per game JV Tied for 10th at 9.8 (Drummond 1st at 18.9)
    Points per game: JV 16th @ 13.5 (Cousins first at 27.5)

Points per minute. JV Tied for 15th @ .48 (Cousins 1st @ .85)
    Rebounds per minute JV 9th @ .35 (Drummond 1st @ .51)

Offensive Rating JV 1st @ 109.9
    Defensive Rating JV 14th @ 99.4 (Ian Mahinmi 1st @ 93)
    Net Rating JV 2nd @ +10.4 (Steven Adams 1st @ +11)

ts% JV Tied for 6th @ 61.2% (WCS 1st at 70.5%)

Usage JV is at 18th....18th.....at 19.8%

On Our team JV is first in offensive rating, 3rd in defensive rating, 1st in net rating, 2nd in ts%, second in player impact estimate.

JV is criminally underused among teammates and peers and all numbers show no reason for that happening.
    So he is 19th in minutes and FGA's, so he is basically right on with his peers in terms of how many shots he takes per minute. That also matches up with the 18th in usage stat.

So then the real issue here is minutes? Because everything else looks about right...

Also JV is third on the team in usage, behind DD and Lowry, so I'm not sure that's all that bad. He probably could use a few more shots a night.
    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
      So he is 19th in minutes and FGA's, so he is basically right on with his peers in terms of how many shots he takes per minute. That also matches up with the 18th in usage stat.

So then the real issue here is minutes? Because everything else looks about right...

Also JV is third on the team in usage, behind DD and Lowry, so I'm not sure that's all that bad. He probably could use a few more shots a night.
      big drop betwen 2nd and 3rd though, but yes, that is good.

The team has improved upon his usage, which played into early season successes.

And in relation to his minutes/usage and his peers....he is middle of the pack usage/minutes, but top of the pact efficiency. It makes absolute sense to raise usage/minutes to see what happens, to stand pat, when statistics state otherwise, is just foolish.

Comment

Naaa I'm sure going against two defenders for a tough contested layup or a fadeaway is better than dumping it off to JV.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

JV does not even attempt to post up in the last couple of games. With DD and KL on the floor, why bother expending all that energy. He will not get the ball. Yesterday, he stopped doing high screens too. Better to save energy, camp under the basket in hopes of an offensive rebound and put-back.

I think DD and KL are jealous. When they passed the ball to him early in the season and early in the games and saw that, given touches, JV could outscore them with a much better FG%, the egos felt threatened. Since he went for close 20 points in the first half of a recent game, he got no touches in the second half or in the subsequent games.

No wonder JV benefits the most from Corey Joseph (a real point guard) on the floor.

Comment

Our future = JV and Cojo

Everyone else is our past.
            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Karys wrote: View Post
              JV does not even attempt to post up in the last couple of games. With DD and KL on the floor, why bother expending all that energy. He will not get the ball. Yesterday, he stopped doing high screens too. Better to save energy, camp under the basket in hopes of an offensive rebound and put-back.

I think DD and KL are jealous. When they passed the ball to him early in the season and early in the games and saw that, given touches, JV could outscore them with a much better FG%, the egos felt threatened. Since he went for close 20 points in the first half of a recent game, he got no touches in the second half or in the subsequent games.

No wonder JV benefits the most from Corey Joseph (a real point guard) on the floor.
              Either the last game or the one before, DeMar drew a defender to him and had JV open right beside him in the lane for an easy bucket, and he jumped up to throw it OVER JV to the three point line. It's been obvious before but that was just ridiculous.

Comment

Hate to have to contemplate the idea that Lowry and DD are freezing JV out of the offense, but you are starting to see some negative body language and signs of frustration from Jonas.

Casey: "It's Kyle and Demar's team, come hell or high water. And Demar is in a contract year, fools."

Comment

There was an effort to get JV involved earlier and recently the ineffective hero ball has started some people need to do a self assessment and change there behaviors.

Comment

Karys wrote: View Post

I can't think of one instance where JV managed to seal his man on the low block and didn't get the ball. It may be a play call thing, but you only see JV post up deep 2-3 times a game at most, and often he is to far from the basket. His FGA in wins is only 0.6 higher than in losses, the issue is that his shooting % in wins is 61% and 50% in losses and the reason he hasn't scored much over the past 5 games is not because he's getting looked off, it's because he shot 40% in those games. I'm all for him getting more minutes and shots, but let's not pretend that he hasn't had some really bad games this season.

Corey Joseph is not a "real point guard" any more than Lowry. Look at the assist numbers. That's not a bad thing, it's how a lot of teams play now.
                    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

I can't think of one instance where JV managed to seal his man on the low block and didn't get the ball. It may be a play call thing, but you only see JV post up deep 2-3 times a game at most, and often he is to far from the basket. His FGA in wins is only 0.6 higher than in losses, the issue is that his shooting % in wins is 61% and 50% in losses and the reason he hasn't scored much over the past 5 games is not because he's getting looked off, it's because he shot 40% in those games. I'm all for him getting more minutes and shots, but let's not pretend that he hasn't had some really bad games this season.

Corey Joseph is not a "real point guard" any more than Lowry. Look at the assist numbers. That's not a bad thing, it's how a lot of teams play now.
                      I have no idea what you've been watching, but last night there were several instances where JV was WIDE OPEN on a demar or Lowry drive and they chose to completely ignore him and instead put up tough contested shots. These are the shots that should go to JV.
                      "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                        I have no idea what you've been watching, but last night there were several instances where JV was WIDE OPEN on a demar or Lowry drive and they chose to completely ignore him and instead put up tough contested shots. These are the shots that should go to JV.
                        I don't care if he's open, I care about him having deep post position on the low block with his man sealed.

The guy isn't taking anyone off the bounce sending him the ball when he's 15 feet away from the basket doesn't help anyone, at best he is just going to swing the ball again and at worst he takes a jumper.

He scores effectively in 3 ways right now and they are:

1. Rolling to the rim
                        2. Deep post position
                        3. Offensive rebounding

Most of his shots/makes are coming off the roll right now. When he does get deep position, guys are looking to get it in to him. He just doesn't do it very often.

-Churchill

Comment

I don't care if he's open, I care about him having deep post position on the low block with his man sealed.

The guy isn't taking anyone off the bounce sending him the ball when he's 15 feet away from the basket doesn't help anyone, at best he is just going to swing the ball again and at worst he takes a jumper.

He scores effectively in 3 ways right now and they are:

1. Rolling to the rim
                          2. Deep post position
                          3. Offensive rebounding

Most of his shots/makes are coming off the roll right now. When he does get deep position, guys are looking to get it in to him. He just doesn't do it very often.
                          Hard to get deep post position every possession when you're being asked to set picks on the perimeter, because everybody else has to stand outside the 3pt line to make up for your shooting guard's lack of a 3pt threat. It would also help if plays were called for him to be on his preferred side of the court, which has been a glaring issue the past few games.

Comment

I don't care if he's open, .
                            that right there speaks volumes of your opinions.

hopw can you possibly not care that a player is open and not getting the ball.

We aint talking about JV being open at the 3 pt line, or at half court...he is within his range, his spot where he shoots better than anyone on the team. and we consistantly have our "best" player look off of him and force up one if his offbalance heavily contested shots that he shots one of the worst percentages of on the team.

If you dont think thats a ploblem...then damn....

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                              Not that I agree with it but I think their thinking is that since Jv is open, and under the basket. They can put up a shot, if they score, good, if they don't score, they know Jv is under the basket to clean it up

Not a bad strategy as Jv has been getting those rebounds, but I wouldn't say that I support it either
                              I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X