Where does JV rank among Centers after Game 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    He's got pretty still competition at the 5-spot, makes it difficult for him to be a competitive advantage for us. Going forward all this experience will pay off in his development of a more cerebral game - passing, high post dominance, etc.
    Yeah, he has pretty stiff competition at the 5 spot. Which is why it is so impressive that there are only 5 C's averaging more points and more rebounds than JV.

And how on earth could anyone believe JV is not a competitive advantage for us? He has the best on-court net rating on the team by a long shot!
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
      At the same time, this is what I've noticed, They use him as a garbage man (put back) centre rather than the scorer centre he is. To me, IMO I don't believe Jv and lowry/derozan linup works anymore, lowry and derozan would benefit more from a garbage man centre and Jv would benefit more with a passing backcourt. Either Jv or derozan/lowry need to go in order for this team to take that next step. Which one goes, idk.

But Jv would fetch a return.

But lowry and derozan tend to chuck sometimes, so idk which I'd prefer
      All Dwane Casey wants for Christmas is 2010/11 Tyson Chandler. He'd also be the perfect C for the Lowry/DeRozan backcourt.

I hope JV starts breaking things in the locker room. Somebody other than James Johnson needs to stir shit up until this team plays the right way.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
        its funny that guys like Gobert and Drummond have their coaches and franchises go all in on them when they have some serious limitation, yet JV is pretty much an afterthought. He has limitations too but lots of strenths
        "JV is too robotic" "JV can't pass" etc. Anyone think Boogie Cousins, Gobert, or Drummond do everything perfectly? You've got a great point. They make several knuckle headed plays a game, but their franchises have gone all in on them. You know if Casey were coaching the Pistons, Reggie Jackson would be freezing out Drummond and everybody would be pretending it's fine. I really think there are too many nice guys around this Raptors team right now, possibly including Masai.

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

I would agree with raptorrready tho that JV does need to become a better (ie shoot more) from the 15 foot jump shot.

Would open up so many possibilities on offense if he had that as a bread and butter shot
          of course, he can only get better by adding that shot. and i think he has shown flashes of it this season already, it's just a matter of confidence.

the "lol" was mainly referring to the idea that he's "not build for the nba". Even at his current level he's a highly productive player, pretty hard to say he's not a good nba fit.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
            of course, he can only get better by adding that shot. and i think he has shown flashes of it this season already, it's just a matter of confidence.

the "lol" was mainly referring to the idea that he's "not build for the nba". Even at his current level he's a highly productive player, pretty hard to say he's not a good nba fit.
            He plays with Demar and Scola, 15 ft out is pretty crowded. Funny, but Scola is the one moving to the perimeter

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post

If Jonas is not built for the NBA, then the same goes for 300 NBA players. People need to find some balance between "he still has areas to improve and work on" and "he's not built for the nba". With bigger role his efficiency would drop though. And since his passing is bad, double team would be a real issue. Despite that it's evident that he must have a more important role in the team.
              MeDar ReDozan

Comment

Henry_Chinaski wrote: View Post
                ...And since his passing is bad, double team would be a real issue...
                Of course, while you can work on this in practice, you can only do so if the coach runs appropriate plays for you in practice and a few of the assistants and players provide the double teams and outlet options in practice. It would be interesting to know if this is happening. The alternative is to let JV play through such situations during games. Which we know hasn't happened. He is a season and a half behind where he could have been given experience in appropriate offensive and defensive systems.

Comment

raptorredy wrote: View Post
                  JV. vs DD Lowry and Caroll. JV is just not ready and nor is he high on the pecking order. Masai has to sort this out because JV isn't going to win you games in the 4th qtr right now and clearly neither is DD or Lowry. IMO JV is not built for the NBA 2016 and onwards unless he gets a jumper and some savy post moves. Maybe it comes 2 years from now. Too much pressure on him .ppl will think he's overrated. Will JV turn into Masais Bargnani I know he didn't draft him.
                  That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
                  "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
                    Please watch the game again. JV was in such a position that he'd be at the rim in 2-3 steps or at least an open jumper that he can hit at a decent percentage. Even if he does swing the ball, it's still a whole lot better than the alternative. I've no idea how anyone can justify demar/Lowry's selfishness.
                    Ok, I think we're starting to get common ground. I agree that he can hit that jumper with some regularity, but then we lose him as an offensive rebounder where he is currently is sitting second in the league (total offensive rebounds). Derozan and Lowry do take to many contested shots, no argument there, but we need to use JV in ways that play to his and the teams strengths. Long jumpers are not what we want. If I'm Casey, that last thing I want to see is JV catching the ball 3 steps away from the basket.

Pick and Roll or deep post up, that's his game.
                    "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                      Ok, I think we're starting to get common ground. I agree that he can hit that jumper with some regularity, but then we lose him as an offensive rebounder where he is currently is sitting second in the league (total offensive rebounds). Derozan and Lowry do take to many contested shots, no argument there, but we need to use JV in ways that play to his and the teams strengths. Long jumpers are not what we want. If I'm Casey, that last thing I want to see is JV catching the ball 3 steps away from the basket.

Pick and Roll or deep post up, that's his game.
                      Except for a very basic play - the drive and kick game. Arguably KL and DD are much more likely to hit an open JV off a drive and kick than hit him on the roll out of a p'n'r. Nobody's been able to hit a rolling big regularly on this team since Calderon left.

JV drawing his man away from the rim would be huge for KL, DD, and CoJo's driving games. He already does this miles better than Biyombo, obviously, which is why the offense can't close out games when Biyombo plays.

In the end it's not an either/or. On some plays JV will be in the key and in position for offensive rebounds, on some plays if he can pull his man away from the basket there'll be driving lanes for the perimeter players to attack. I fail to see an either/or problem here.
                      Last edited by S.R.; Fri Nov 20, 2015, 01:29 PM.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                        Except for a very basic play - the drive and kick game. Arguably KL and DD are much more likely to hit JV at 15 feet off a drive and kick than hit him on the roll out of a p'n'r. Nobody's been able to hit a rolling big regularly on this team since Calderon left.

JV drawing his man away from the rim would be huge for KL, DD, and CoJo's driving games. He already does this miles better than Biyombo, obviously, which is why the offense can't close out games when Biyombo plays.

In the end it's not an either/or. On some plays JV will be in the key and in position for offensive rebounds, on some plays if he can pull his man away from the basket there'll be driving lanes for the perimeter players to attack. I fail to see an either/or problem here.
                        Lowry may be the worst starting PG i've ever seen at passing to bigs. It's always at knee/foot level, or timed such that the big has moved on from expecting a pass and switched to going for the rebound.

Comment

Lol Lowry and DD barely find him on dump offs either. No matter how open he is.
                          OG is our king

Comment

They should build the team around him and CoJo who is a true pass first point guard who can also score and defend. Demar and Lowry are just ball hogs. Yes shots may go in, and 3 >2, but unless your Steph Curry (which neither Lowry nor Demar are clearly not), you still have to give it to the higher % shot selection.

Comment

No allstar game for JV this year.

Comment

His injury is so unfortunate hopefully he is able to pick up some knowledge by observing the games

Comment

Working...
                                X