No announcement yet.

Everything Bismack Biyombo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the Raps offense as currently constructed, i.e., guards chucking up low percentage shots, BB can actually have a useful function. Biyombo serves a similar purpose to Amir last season on offense, which is to set hard screens, roll to the basket, get the offensive rebound and have an easy put-back or kick it back out and let Lowry/DD try it all over again. Raps offense the last few seasons worked because Amir and JV are above average offensive rebounders who can finish at the rim and because Lowry/DD can draw fouls.

However, unlike BB, Amir had incredible fly-paper hands and was a legitimate threat to receive and score in the PnR (even though he rarely got the ball as the roller). Amir also had a ridiculously good ability to finish while taking a hit.

What is probably going to happen is when BB sets the high pick, soon we will see teams focus almost entirely on Lowry and keep BB from positioning himself for the OREB. Clippers were caught off guard and in general team disarray, but they adjusted in the 2nd half. We'll see what happens when teams have a few days to game plan for BB starting and how the Raps counter those adjustments. If DC and Scola can stay hot from long range that would help tremendously, or else the offense could get pretty ugly.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      For the Raps offense as currently constructed, i.e., guards chucking up low percentage shots, BB can actually have a useful function. Biyombo serves a similar purpose to Amir last season on offense, which is to set hard screens, roll to the basket, get the offensive rebound and have an easy put-back or kick it back out and let Lowry/DD try it all over again. Raps offense the last few seasons worked because Amir and JV are above average offensive rebounders who can finish at the rim and because Lowry/DD can draw fouls.

However, unlike BB, Amir had incredible fly-paper hands and was a legitimate threat to receive and score in the PnR (even though he rarely got the ball as the roller). Amir also had a ridiculously good ability to finish while taking a hit.

What is probably going to happen is when BB sets the high pick, soon we will see teams focus almost entirely on Lowry and keep BB from positioning himself for the OREB. Clippers were caught off guard and in general team disarray, but they adjusted in the 2nd half. We'll see what happens when teams have a few days to game plan for BB starting and how the Raps counter those adjustments. If DC and Scola can stay hot from long range that would help tremendously, or else the offense could get pretty ugly.
      Teams should be able to hold the hedge and basically double the ball handler on the pick and roll with Biyombo. Raptors' guards are not good at hitting the rolling man and Biyombo's hands are not good enough to finish the roll in traffic.

It makes more sense to run the pick and roll with almost any other player, but then Biyombo's man will be able to cheat into the lane to stop the drive/contest shots. Pretty much the only thing you can hope for is to find Biyombo open under the basket and pray he can finish the layup/dunk.

What you see when Biyombo is on the floor is a lot more driving into 2-3 players from the perimeter. Fortunately DeMar likes his odds of getting fouled in that situation.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Not sure if this was already posted somewhere, but a nice piece by Blake Murphy on the "Biyombo effect" on past Sunday Clippers game. Basically, the advantage of moving Biyombo into the starting lineup seems to be that you're preventing him from screwing up the bench unit (and I would also add my own: allowing the other starters to get theirs, albeit inefficiently.) We'll see how things play out over the next few weeks as opposing teams begin to adjust and game-plan for a Raps lineup with BB starting.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...lanciunas-out/

In response, Casey played Biyombo for 31 minutes, which extends past the upper limit of his utility. He had the worst plus-minus of anyone on the team (-4). I am Bruno’s complete lack of surprise. A substantial chunk of those minutes saw him weigh down the starting lineup, as that group was outscored by four points in 18 minutes with him and turned around and outscored the Clippers by nine in six minutes without him.

That’s not necessarily a common trend with that foursome – they had performed roughly the same with Valanciunas or Biyombo so far this season, albeit in a small sample for the latter (sample size warnings abound for all lineup data so early in the year). Other lineups, however, have suffered a great deal with Biyombo, particularly the team’s closing unit (Cory Joseph in place of Luis Scola). Biyombo has laid waste to the awesomeness of that unit and did so again Sunday, though Casey quickly opted for a change after two minutes and a 1-of-7 shooting mark. In that 2:27 of play, the Raptors were outscored 3-2 and all Biyombo managed was a foul (he didn’t have any of the team’s three offensive rebounds or, shockingly, their turnover).

Comment

• I hope to see a wider variety of lineups this time rather than the overdependence on B squared. Would love to see that PP, JJ, Carroll, Ross, CoJo lineup some more.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Thompson and BB going to have a serious battle on the glass. That's going to be fun to watch.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
              Not sure if this was already posted somewhere, but a nice piece by Blake Murphy on the "Biyombo effect" on past Sunday Clippers game. Basically, the advantage of moving Biyombo into the starting lineup seems to be that you're preventing him from screwing up the bench unit (and I would also add my own: allowing the other starters to get theirs, albeit inefficiently.) We'll see how things play out over the next few weeks as opposing teams begin to adjust and game-plan for a Raps lineup with BB starting.

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2015/...lanciunas-out/
              Starting is where Biyombo does the least damage on offense. KL and Demar never pass inside so really no effect

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Thompson and BB going to have a serious battle on the glass. That's going to be fun to watch.
                Too bad BB wont have any offensive rebounds, CAUSE WE WILL MAKE ALL OUR SHOTS!!

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                  Too bad BB wont have any offensive rebounds, CAUSE WE WILL MAKE ALL OUR SHOTS!!
                  Hope so
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• If the raps keep playing well and winning with Bismack starting I wouldn't mind bringing JV off the bench in an enes kanter type role. He can be our primary offensive guy with the bench and we can match-up offense/defense in the 4th with JV and BB.

Comment

• slamdunk23 wrote: View Post
                      If the raps keep playing well and winning with Bismack starting I wouldn't mind bringing JV off the bench in an enes kanter type role. He can be our primary offensive guy with the bench and we can match-up offense/defense in the 4th with JV and BB.
                      CoJo needs a target on PnR and JV needs touches. A few good games aside Biyombo WILL hurt the starters

Comment

If the raps keep playing well and winning with Bismack starting I wouldn't mind bringing JV off the bench in an enes kanter type role. He can be our primary offensive guy with the bench and we can match-up offense/defense in the 4th with JV and BB.
                        To bad he's to good to come off the bench. This idea is absurd
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          Start him but put him in with the second unit surround by shooters

Comment

What does it matter if he starts or not if he stills gets around the same mins?

Comment

What does it matter if he starts or not if he stills gets around the same mins?
                              Because you'll kill the starters on offense. 1 game vs the Kevin Love is not good enough.
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Because you'll kill the starters on offense. 1 game vs the Kevin Love is not good enough.
                                That's why I said if. If we play over .600 with BB starting I think you have to consider bringing JV off the bench.

Comment

Working...
                                X