Game #15: Toronto Raptors 91 - Los Angeles Clippers 80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Who cares. They beat the Clippers but there are still a ton of games left against other teams. The issues are open threes and the continual use of an offence in the 4th that sucks. If you get a lead by playing a certain way, why change that to go ISO. If you are up alot and teams are shooting alot of threes open give up the interior and run out.
    I am very happy we beat the Clippers and yes there are a ton of games left. You can't close everything down against a pro team. Even the Sixers. We have finally slowed up the dribble penetration that was killing us last year and fixed defensive rebounding which had caused us to give up a lot of second and even third chance points. So we are trading off that fix inside at the expense of continuosly chasing guys off the 3 point line. Its very hard to do both. Even GSW gives up something with their killer D and its perimeter shooting. So far its working as we are winning more than we lose and we are holding teams to 96 a game.

You change from playing a certain way because the other team who I can assure you is trying its best to win too will make adjustments to take away what you were doing well.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      I am very happy we beat the Clippers and yes there are a ton of games left. You can't close everything down against a pro team. Even the Sixers. We have finally slowed up the dribble penetration that was killing us last year and fixed defensive rebounding which had caused us to give up a lot of second and even third chance points. So we are trading off that fix inside at the expense of continuosly chasing guys off the 3 point line. Its very hard to do both. Even GSW gives up something with their killer D and its perimeter shooting. So far its working as we are winning more than we lose and we are holding teams to 96 a game.

You change from playing a certain way because the other team who I can assure you is trying its best to win too will make adjustments to take away what you were doing well.
      Keep dancing with what brought you. If you are successful feeding JV or moving the ball to find open shots keep going until they stop it. Demar shooting ISO jumpshots didnt get the team to the fourth, its more likely to fail then succeed versus what was actually working

Comment

• For the millionth time people....it's not all about the result, it's about the process. Remember what happened last season.
        "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

• hotfuzz wrote: View Post
          For the millionth time people....it's not all about the result, it's about the process. Remember what happened last season.
          This. Process leads to results. Philly isn't getting any results...

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
            That's because they have a long ass process. The constant injuries to Embiid don't help either. He's the next Oden.
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Raptors got good before a process was in place to get good. Now the result is a terrible coach and a treadmill roster with poor development. Have an identity and a development system and then results will follow

Comment

Sixers turned MCW into the Lakers first protected 1-3. It might end up being Murray

Comment

I swear to god that if someone ran the marathon in world record time you'd point out that he was wearing red laces and not blue ones so its immaterial....
                  Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                  For a while I thought you were just a little slow on the uptake and that you struggled to understand the subtlety of wit and innuendo

Now I know for certain.

@OLDSKULECOOL DINOSAUR'sRUS
                  Well, the metaphor was bad (wrt to leaving shooter open)

There is no innuendo there.

Wit.....well, I know you are trying to somehow prove you are the smartest guy on here but you're really starting to embarrass yourself. I feel sorry for ya man.

Oh, and if you're going to insult someone and say that I'm not understanding the "wit" of the conversation, spell my name right. It's the subtle things like that that add to your credibility.

Comment

I watched that game from front to back ...and to the eye it sure didn't look like there were 28 uncontested 3's. Thats what.. one every 2nd trip down the floor if you go with an average 20 second possession ? And they were ALL uncontested. We only got to 4 shots ? No one within 6 feet of the shooter. That I simply didn't see. Maybe the stats guy got a little aggressive in his count.

So speaking of firing the coach... Whats your stance on Houston either recovering or continuing to unravel with the firing of McHale. So far they are 1up and 2down. Its early but I see more of the same and Houston finishing out of the playoffs.
                    Technology measures the plays on the court, so it isn't possible for an "aggressive stat guy" to skew the data. Open is 4-6', wide open is 6+ feet. Maybe your eyes are skewed in this instance.

Houston has talent but they lack defensive execution and Harden needs to share the ball more. Defences are keying in on Harden more this year and he has to adjust to make the smart play. Without defensive effort from guys like Harden, hard to get stops or easy buckets.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                      Technology measures the plays on the court, so it isn't possible for an "aggressive stat guy" to skew the data. Open is 4-6', wide open is 6+ feet. Maybe your eyes are skewed in this instance.

Houston has talent but they lack defensive execution and Harden needs to share the ball more. Defences are keying in on Harden more this year and he has to adjust to make the smart play. Without defensive effort from guys like Harden, hard to get stops or easy buckets.
                      Although you're correct about the "aggressive stat guy" part, there are serious questions about SportVU data and how it defines "open"

http://www1.vantagesports.com/Articl...1ZYyMAALIAoMzK
                      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        Although you're correct about the "aggressive stat guy" part, there are serious questions about SportVU data and how it defines "open"

Nice find.

Serious questions for sure.

Did I just read that the data shows almost 90 percent of 3s were uncontested in 2014-15 season??

Probably not a good idea to jump to conclusions based on the contested shots data..... at least I wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          I love that somehow after my post there were several pages of arguing whether leaving guys open for 28 wide open threes was a good thing or a bad thing. What has this world come to...
                          Coaches fault/s

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting read.

Not particularly familiar with vantage. Do they provide game breakdown too?
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                              Well, the metaphor was bad (wrt to leaving shooter open)

There is no innuendo there.

Wit.....well, I know you are trying to somehow prove you are the smartest guy on here but you're really starting to embarrass yourself. I feel sorry for ya man.

Oh, and if you're going to insult someone and say that I'm not understanding the "wit" of the conversation, spell my name right. It's the subtle things like that that add to your credibility.
                              You are correct.. I am not the smartest person who contributes to this ongoing dialouge.
                              However I do know with certainty that I am only second dumbest.
                              Keep those rec league comparisons to how an NBA team should play coming...
                              - TGO

Comment

Thanks for that piece of data...

Axel wrote: View Post

So it is plausible that the aggressive stats comment is valid.. Not for reasons of a "homer " stats guy as it appears he simply records data , but perhaps due to still developmental technology. Still stand by what I saw during the game that the Raps did close out on most of those 3 ball attempts. So we can leave it at that..

Perhaps there is room to have both the notion of consciously leaving guys wide open on the line is not a repeatable success strategy in each and every game but that the notion of egging on guys like Rivers and Smith and Pierece to take those shots (knowing the success factor was going to be very low) while still getting a hand in the face can both co-exist...

Look forward to the next round of debate.

So does Houston make the playoffs and vindicate the whacking of McHale or do they not ? Just looking for a binary yes/no answer if you have an opinion on this one.
                                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Tue Nov 24, 2015, 05:56 PM. Reason: Toning it down ...
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X