No announcement yet.

The Pick and Roll and the Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post....and more evidence that pick adn roll with JV with Lowry and another shooter waiting in the wings is far and away the most efficient/effective offensive that we can run.

Interesting how I havent heard any posters debate those exact things......../s

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
      Teams know how well JV finishes inside, he finished 2nd in FG% in the league last year. They'll double (or triple, or quadruple, or quintuple, or tupletuple) him on the roll, sometimes even in the post because of his effectiveness on offense.

The rest of the league seems to value JV more than our team does
      which means we need Carroll in one corner and Patterson in the other to punish the triple team
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
        Great post....and more evidence that pick adn roll with JV with Lowry and another shooter waiting in the wings is far and away the most efficient/effective offensive that we can run.

Interesting how I havent heard any posters debate those exact things......../s
        I have to read most posts...it does pop up periodically, I don't think it's been examined this in depth.
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
          I have to read most posts...it does pop up periodically, I don't think it's been examined this in depth.
          Yeah, it has definitely been brought up in the past, but until now no one has taken the time to prove it.....]

I do think though that most of when it was posted was in the offseason.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            Well in terms of turnovers:

in the post (ball passed to within 12 feet of hoop) - 4.1% TO% - 5th best in the NBA

We have higher TO% on drives (5.7%)

So not really sure if JV's handles have really resulted in enough turnovers for the ball handlers to look him off (especially considering they pass to Biyombo at a higher rate). Most of the turnovers I remember in this situation is because Lowry's pass to JV was down around his knees, which simply isn't a good pass.
            My point was rather that we have difficulties passing to the roll man - we turn it over and therefore are likely coached not to do it as often as we could.

Comment

SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
              My point was rather that we have difficulties passing to the roll man - we turn it over and therefore are likely coached not to do it as often as we could.
              I don't know if there are stats about this, but the eye-test tells me that a majority of the screens are set at/beyond the 3pt line, which is more about helping the ISO-ball approach than it is to setup a roll man. Having JV set a screen that far from the basket has no hope of turning into a screen-and-roll scoring opportunity for the pick-setter.

Not all screens the Raptors set are done so to provide an actual option of giving the ball to the screener.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                I don't know if there are stats about this, but the eye-test tells me that a majority of the screens are set at/beyond the 3pt line, which is more about helping the ISO-ball approach than it is to setup a roll man. Having JV set a screen that far from the basket has no hope of turning into a screen-and-roll scoring opportunity for the pick-setter.

Not all screens the Raptors set are done so to provide an actual option of giving the ball to the screener.
                Biyombo seems to set an ungodly amount of screens for sdo meone who can't roll

Comment

Working...
                X