Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing Minutes - short term vs long term or short sightedness vs vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Superjudge wrote: View Post
    I think people place far too much emphasis on this tuff.

NBA games aren't that deadly every night, and these are elite athletes.

If they are fatigued in march april, you dial it back, si tum out here and there just like the spurs do. They are elite and can recover just fine with a small bit of rest.

Thing is, this team NEEDS high minutes from key guys to make what they do automatic. 3-4 new players, etc, its just needed. Those rotations need to be imprinted, and they need to tinker as well. Your horses gotta pull.
    Just like Lowry recovered just fine with his sporadic rest in March/April last year, yeah?
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

2 games behind Cleveland, 10 game win streak, top 10 in O and D, best team in franchise history without their prized offseason acquisition. Yeah, lots to complain about. Definitely.

The one thing we must avoid is enjoying this ride. That's for sure. Must find things to complain about. I know it's absurd that a professional athlete plays 36mins a game. Those 2 minutes extra are really going to make a difference for them.

Sure, I'd like to see the starters get more rest in garbage time, but one blown lead and everyone will be calling for Caseys head.

All star break is coming up, the players get an extra couple days off after the festivities to rest and they've been home for 2 weeks. I'm sure they are fine.

Why not just sit back, relax and ENJOY the ball they're playing right now? It's not everyday a team goes on a run like this, especially the raptors. So, although there might be some things I'd like to see from the outside looking in, I've decided to trust the people in charge and soak up the glory!

Watch out Cleveland, we coming for you!
      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
      Because its 2015

Comment

No back to backs right now. Maybe they should have played 3 minutes less the past couple games, but the real concern is that they can't put teams away earlier. Lots of 10+ wins, but hardly any games where the result was reached early in the 4th. More big blowouts would be nice.

Comment

It just bothers me that they play so much and the games have ended up being blowouts recently. I guess part of that is that we typically have weak first quarters. Nice knowing we can close games well, but I wouldn't mind it if we put a few more of these games away in the first half.

At what point should we start trying new things, assuming that Kyle and DD will be able to perform later in the year? For example, after this win streak, do we try tweaking lineups at all (maybe incorporating Bebe again as that seemed to work in JVs absence), knowing that we already have things that work?
          Last edited by DogeLover1234; Fri Jan 29, 2016, 02:51 AM.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
            It just bothers me that they play so much and the games have ended up being blowouts recently. I guess part of that is that we typically have weak first quarters. Nice knowing we can close games well, but I wouldn't mind it if we put a few more of these games away in the first half.

At what point should we start trying new things, assuming that Kyle and DD will be able to perform later in the year? For example, after this win streak, do we try tweaking lineups at all (maybe incorporating Bebe again as that seemed to work in JVs absence), knowing that we already have things that work?
            Best thing to do with Bebe is to package him and get another wing player.
            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
            Because its 2015

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              Just like Lowry recovered just fine with his sporadic rest in March/April last year, yeah?
              hopefully we have learned from last year. Kyle took so much of the load when derozon went down. I think we are deeper this year but as brought up earlier DC s playing thru nagging injuries concerns me hopefully lessons have been learned and if we do get to level of play were we do start blowing the odd team out by all means give the young talent more burn. I believe unlike last year the schedule actually favors us at the end vs having the easier schedule to start last year. I am I concerned about the minutes, slightly but not enuff to be overly so.

Comment

Minutes did not get Lowry injured last year, it was his workload with DeRozan out.

He played MORE minutes in 2013-14 and suffered no setbacks.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                  Minutes did not get Lowry injured last year, it was his workload with DeRozan out.

He played MORE minutes in 2013-14 and suffered no setbacks.
                  I'm not worried about minutes, myself. Players playing through injuries for no reason and scuttling our playoff chances because they remain injured when it counts? That's a very real concern.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                    2 games behind Cleveland, 10 game win streak, top 10 in O and D, best team in franchise history without their prized offseason acquisition. Yeah, lots to complain about. Definitely.

The one thing we must avoid is enjoying this ride. That's for sure. Must find things to complain about. I know it's absurd that a professional athlete plays 36mins a game. Those 2 minutes extra are really going to make a difference for them.

Sure, I'd like to see the starters get more rest in garbage time, but one blown lead and everyone will be calling for Caseys head.

All star break is coming up, the players get an extra couple days off after the festivities to rest and they've been home for 2 weeks. I'm sure they are fine.

Why not just sit back, relax and ENJOY the ball they're playing right now? It's not everyday a team goes on a run like this, especially the raptors. So, although there might be some things I'd like to see from the outside looking in, I've decided to trust the people in charge and soak up the glory!

Watch out Cleveland, we coming for you!
                    I just wanted to point out that I might be one of the most vocal critics of the heavy minutes, bad rotations and overall tomfoolery that often goes on with this team. And that it does not the least bit reduce my enjoyment of this awesome run we are on. I'm all in on this team, loving every minute of this season, and capable of critical thought and analysis after (and often during) each game. It's really not that hard a balancing act.

Just, keep in mind that people having issues with decisions that are made doesn't mean they aren't enjoying the run. It means we are enjoying it enough that we want more of it, and if we see things we think might bring it to an end (like last season), we aren't going to be delighted about that.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• rightsideup wrote: View Post
                      hopefully we do not get another injury. I think when DC comes back both kyle and demars minutes could go down especially if ross (and Patrick Patterson) has some consistency to his game. I think Casey, Lowry, Demar all have the same goal which is playoff success and think they would communicate that these minutes could potentially not be sustainable. It would not surprise me if there is no advantage to move up in the standings if demar and kyle sit out the latter games of the regular season.
                      I think adding PP into the equation is critical for resting Lowry. The team really, really counts on Lowry's 3 point shooting to open the floor. Powell is not going to see floor time if there the long distance shooters aren't hitting their shots, nor will Wright. I think subbing one of them into the game with Cujo, playing off the ball, is the only way KL get's some rest.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post

We actually saw a baby step last night with Powell getting some meaningful minutes. Not much, I know, but a little bit of progress.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• He did miss the odd game in 2013=14 but yes last year he tried to put the entire team on his back and it failed under the strain

Comment

• I guess the thing is this, you gotta be in position to rest guys. Toronto isn't an elite force just yet, their record reflects the minutes their top level talent players have been playing. I wonder then if the question needs to be raised.... are they looking at a big run this year, or are they looking to establish serious cohesion with their key players.

I can't see the point in arguing our individual opinions of how many minutes is too many for a player. i think it varies. But there is wisdom in tapering a little as you approach the playoffs. A professional athlete needs about two weeks to bounce back from fatigue.... you can actually accomplish this pretty easily over the period of a month if you sit guys. Who's to say this isn't coming as the days wear on.

For now, at mid season, I have zero problem playing elite athletes for 40 mins, 3 times a week....truth is, they play more in the offseason.

Comment

• If they are looking to establish cohesion with THAT starting lineup, they are failing miserably (and overworking their top guys for no reason).
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• they dont look tired to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X