Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Managing Minutes - short term vs long term or short sightedness vs vision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JWash wrote: View Post
    And so DD being gone for 22 games last year would not have had a similar effect?

EDIT: Also LeBron did not take 20 games off last year. He missed 13 games total last year, and the break he took last year was only 8 games long.
    Except... LeBron will get those games off if he needs them this year, Lowry didn't get them last year, and we all agree he's not going to get them this year right?

Edit: You're right about the 13... somehow my brain subtracted 69 from 82 and got 20. My 5 year old had me up at 4:30am so my brain isn't fully there today.
    twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

I really do think Lowry's burnout last year had more to do with the 22 DeRozan-less games where he had to put up near 30% usage for us to win, than the amount of minutes he was playing. I mean the year before he actually logged 400 more minutes prior to playoffs and was amazing against the Nets.
      Well, that makes me feel great about the 28% usage Lowry has had since JV went down and the 29% usage he's carried since Dec 1st.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
        At some point in the playoffs, you're going to have to face Cleveland. I'd rather face them in the first round rested and healthy than in the second round exhausted and worn out. That's the ballgame. If we are going to be a team that might compete for a championship with this core, how to you want to face Cleveland and Golden State?
        Well we differ here cause I really have zero interest in being knocked out in the first round by the Cavs lol.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
          Well, that makes me feel great about the 28% usage Lowry has had since JV went down and the 29% usage he's carried since Dec 1st.
          Again because we've lost a guy who uses a significant portion of our offense. JV being down is going to have a similar effect to DD being gone last year in that respect.

It's Lowry who takes on the extra usage because he's the best player on the team. DD's is still about what it's been the past couple years. It sucks that we don't have a better way of distributing offense when a key guy is gone, but that's really on Casey.

Comment

Well we differ here cause I really have zero interest in being knocked out in the first round by the Cavs lol.
            I have zero interest in being knocked out in the playoffs. I want to win it all, call me greedy. I don't think a tired Lowry gets us there. I honestly believe though with a healthy and rested Lowry, and a healthy Jonas... we aren't that far off from being a contender.

Maybe trading DeMar gets us there. Maybe getting 'best-case-DeMar', as Dan said in the other thread gets us there. Maybe it's just Ross being more consistent and Carroll finding his comfort zone. I feel like we have a lot of the right pieces, but more importantly if we can't win in the short term, we have some decisions to make. DeMar's athletic game is going to start to slow down as he gets older and Lowry is approaching 30. So if we're in a 5-year plan, I can't see those guys being part of it.

Comment

One thing to consider too is that its going to be hard to lower our top players minutes when Masai uses the last 5 spots on developmental players. Especially when injuries hit.

They went into detail about it in the last raptors republic podcast.
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

It's Lowry who takes on the extra usage because he's the best player on the team. DD's is still about what it's been the past couple years. It sucks that we don't have a better way of distributing offense when a key guy is gone, but that's really on Casey.
                Being a relatively new poster here, should I be as surprised as I am that almost every discussion on here ends up boiling down to 'we could fix this, but we'd have to fire Casey first'?

Comment

Being a relatively new poster here, should I be as surprised as I am that almost every discussion on here ends up boiling down to 'we could fix this, but we'd have to fire Casey first'?
                  Tbh I'm sure some of the mods secretly hope we don't fire Casey cause it seems to be the only thing people universally (more or less) agree on here

Comment

He was 2 years younger, and had a 22.9% usage rate, as opposed to a 26.9% this year. And still, in 13-14 his worst months for FG% and Ortg were February and March.
                    Man, 2 years makes a huge difference for you eh?
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Again because we've lost a guy who uses a significant portion of our offense. JV being down is going to have a similar effect to DD being gone last year in that respect.

I understand why it is happening, although I disagree that it is reason enough to risk his long term health. I understood why it happened last year and we were still screwed when the playoffs rolled around.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

At some point in the playoffs, you're going to have to face Cleveland. I'd rather face them in the first round rested and healthy than in the second round exhausted and worn out. That's the ballgame. If we are going to be a team that might compete for a championship with this core, how to you want to face Cleveland and Golden State?
                        I disagree

Would rather face them in the second round or conference finals as they may also be worn out or have injuries to key players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                          Man, 2 years makes a huge difference for you eh?
                          Two years makes a big difference in ability to rehab injuries. The younger you are, the easier it is. That's not just big injuries either, daily wear and tear gets harder the older you get, and for athletes, the more minutes you've played.

Comment

Two years makes a big difference in ability to rehab injuries. The younger you are, the easier it is. That's not just big injuries either, daily wear and tear gets harder the older you get, and for athletes, the more minutes you've played.
                            I know all that but, your not going to see a huge difference between a 27 year old and 29 year old.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              I know all that but, your not going to see a huge difference between a 27 year old and 29 year old.
                              What about a player with 12000 NBA minutes(entering 2013-14 season) vs. 17000 minutes(entering this season)? That's a big difference.

Comment

we don't play hard against bad teams anyway might as well rest your starters.
                                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Working...
                                X