• Show
Clear All

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Not bad, I'd never even considered him.
    ZBo will retire a grizzly.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
      Not bad, I'd never even considered him.
      I don't think MU would ever consider him either. Randolph is a a player you wold have to worry about demanding a higher usage than what Toronto could offer him.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
        That's why I said rarely rather than never.
        The scraps we got for VC still haunt me.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          I don't think MU would ever consider him either. Randolph is a a player you wold have to worry about demanding a higher usage than what Toronto could offer him.
          Well, the zach Randolph of today could probably be content with 28 minutes and taking the shots that 2pat and scola would normally take, with maybe 2 more shots for him and 2 less from the other 4 positions.

But it doesn't solve our spacing problem and still leaves just 2 long range shooters in the starting lineup (when Carroll is healthy)
          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
            Harden to Rockets for a pick that turned out to be Steven Adams, a year of Kevin martin and Jeremy Lamb?

Pretty sure Houston was the buyer there but OKC ended up getting fleeced. Even at face value when many people thought the Raps pick would be top 5 and Harden wasn't a superstar yet most considered it to be a bad deal. A year later it was highway robbery.

No need to speak in absolutes when it comes to the NBA. There's no rules to trading and no steadfast outcomes.
            Boston fleeced Seattle and Minnesota in the KG and Ray Allen deals.

It's pretty much just relative to the quality of the player being sent out. If he's a really good player, you're probably losing the trade.

Comment

• Upgrading via trade is difficult because we have a relatively high number of untouchables/untradeables and because upgrading at power forward means trading away either 2Pat (the power forward in our single most effective lineup, who is near-perfect in his role and who's shooting well enough on threes now that he's about league-average on three percentage after being terrible at threes for the first ten weeks of the season) or Scola AND Johnson AND one of the rooks (probably Bebe or Delon; Powell and Bennett don't make enough money and it seems doubtful they'll trade Bruno). Or, if you go more expensive, even more than that: Patterson AND Johnson AND a rook. You're chopping up a whole lot of the team's continuity and chemistry in order to make it work, and that's a danger in and of itself.

The candidates are all iffy. Thaddeus Young and Kenneth Faried are not good on defense, don't shoot threes well, and they're expensive to boot. Markieff Morris is cheaper and can do everything the Raptors need either well enough or really well, but he's got a track record of being a malcontent. Al Horford would be perfect, but he'd be really expensive to trade for and there's a serious danger of him becoming a one-season rental.

After that, the list of good candidates drops sharply. I mean, somebody like Jon Leuer or Andrew Nicholson, they're good bench players at least, possibility that they can be more than that, but man, I do not buy the argument that this team is a Jon Leuer away from winning the Finals. Someone like Zach Randolph or Pau Gasol is both hella expensive and magnifies our weaknesses rather than expanding our strengths.

Frankly: I think right now, we've got at least a 1/4 chance to make it to the Finals period (ESPN has our "win it all" odds at 2% and Cleveland's at 6%, so that's about right) and we can at least scrap with Golden State, and if Steph or Klay or Draymond goes down with an injury then we're in it with a chance to win it.

Really, if I wanted anybody else on this team, I'd want Vince Carter. Sometimes you just need the power of narrative to really push a team forward, and The Prodigal Son Returns For One Last Shot is pretty powerful stuff.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                The scraps we got for VC still haunt me.
                That was one for the ages.
                Set us back at least 3 years.. possibly more.
                With Vince gone Bosh got the touches Vince had and showed the DNA of an allstar but we got nothing back to add to that foundation.... Think about it... IF.. and its always easier in hindsight ....we had made a deal elsewhere commensurate with Vince's value we should have yielded a starting vet.. a young grade A prospect and a couple of picks ... one being a lottery pick... I don't think Vince was expiring that year and Babcock could have waited it out... I still have pins for my Rob Babcock voodoo doll.
                There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                  That was one for the ages.
                  Set us back at least 3 years.. possibly more.
                  With Vince gone Bosh got the touches Vince had and showed the DNA of an allstar but we got nothing back to add to that foundation.... Think about it... IF.. and its always easier in hindsight ....we had made a deal elsewhere commensurate with Vince's value we should have yielded a starting vet.. a young grade A prospect and a couple of picks ... one being a lottery pick... I don't think Vince was expiring that year and Babcock could have waited it out... I still have pins for my Rob Babcock voodoo doll.
                  Vince was signed through 2007 and traded him in 2004....... fucking Babcock....

Comment

• Bobby Marks at The Vertical got around to posting his writeup on the Raptors

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/guide-t...180609353.html

TLDR:

HANG UP IF THEY ASK ABOUT: KL & DD, JV & TR, DN/NY pick

UP FOR DEBATE: PP

WORTH TALKING ABOUT: JJ, TO's pick

TREASURE CHEST OF PICKS: Loaded

MOVE THAT PUSHES THE NEEDLE: Toronto, like Boston, is one of the few teams with the assets to make a deal that could change the playoff landscape this season. With the second-best record in the East also comes the dilemma of breaking the spirit of a tight locker room if a trade were to occur.

Toronto will likely finish in the same spot without making a deal. The success of the Raptors will be measured in the playoffs, which have not been too kind to them in recent years.
                    He echoes what Nate Duncan said about the Raptors on his podcast. He's pointed out that he's not sure how much value there is in making a move that would only make Toronto marginally better but would not push it into the elite stratosphere of the league.
                    Last edited by Mess; Wed Feb 10, 2016, 06:11 PM.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• They have to do a win now move. They cannot wait the time that Lowry is not at his peak anymore to contend. If they can get a really solid starting PF, anybody can be traded outside of KL, DD, DC and JV.

Comment

• charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                        They have to do a win now move. They cannot wait the time that Lowry is not at his peak anymore to contend. If they can get a really solid starting PF, anybody can be traded outside of KL, DD, DC and JV.
                        They actually don't have to do anything.

If Masai thinks this squad can get to the conference finals as is, no point making a move unless it's a steal and doesn't cost you much. Getting an MM or Thaddeus doesn't push us from ECF to beating Golden State. If that's the way Masai views the team it only makes sense to move significantly valuable assets and key rotation players if we have a shot at a star who could legitimately help take us past Cleveland and into the finals.

I really feel like atm we're where Detroit was in 2003-04 like midseason. Very, very good team that's a key piece away from being a legitimate title contender. Detroit was a bit more panicked because they lost 6 straight heading into the trade deadline, but then they ended up getting Rasheed from Atlanta (who got him from Portland a week earlier):

As part of a 3-team trade, traded by the Atlanta Hawks to the Detroit Pistons; the Boston Celtics traded Chris Mills to the Atlanta Hawks; the Boston Celtics traded Mike James to the Detroit Pistons; the Detroit Pistons traded Zeljko Rebraca, Bob Sura and a 2004 1st round draft pick (Josh Smith was later selected) to the Atlanta Hawks; and the Detroit Pistons traded Chucky Atkins, Lindsey Hunter and a 2004 1st round draft pick (Tony Allen was later selected) to the Boston Celtics.
                        Basically robbed them for Rasheed, and I think part of the reason they were able to do that is because he was expiring that year. And Portland wasn't doing that well, sitting at around .500 after being a 50-32 team in 2002-03.

Actually sounds pretty similar to the Horford situation. Here's hoping we can snag him.
                        Last edited by JWash; Wed Feb 10, 2016, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                          They actually don't have to do anything.

If Masai thinks this squad can get to the conference finals as is, no point making a move unless it's a steal and doesn't cost you much. Getting an MM or Thaddeus doesn't push us from ECF to beating Golden State.
                          I know, that's why I said solid starter. And the word I was looking for is afford. They cannot afford to wait another season or two. This would be a shame, a waste. Yes, they have to be in win now mode. If they can get Faried, Horford, Ibaka, Millsap, Griffin, etc... They absolutely have to do it.

Comment

• Sorry I cannot edit on my cellphone.

PP + BEBE + DELON + draft pick for Kenneth Faried.

Comment

I know, that's why I said solid starter. And the word I was looking for is afford. They cannot afford to wait another season or two. This would be a shame, a waste. Yes, they have to be in win now mode. If they can get Faried, Horford, Ibaka, Millsap, Griffin, etc... They absolutely have to do it.
                              I really don't think Faried belongs on that list, but the other 4 I absolutely agree. Can't imagine why Ibaka would be available though unless OKC has already conceded losing KD.

Comment

Faired is not in the move the needle tier with those other guys..but yes I get your point
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X