Raptors 2016 Trade Deadline - Dec 15th 2015 - Feb 18th 2016 @ 3pm EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
    I don't think getting endorsements in Canada is a problem anymore, if anything, our market is growing huge. Weren't we awarded as a top team for marketing along with Warriors?

If you look at the music industries biggest names right now you have Drake, Justin Bieber and the Weeknd all up there. Canada's a growing market, there's a lot of money to be made for companies here, and there will be a lot more after the all star game
    this
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
      I don't think getting endorsements in Canada is a problem anymore, if anything, our market is growing huge. Weren't we awarded as a top team for marketing along with Warriors?

If you look at the music industries biggest names right now you have Drake, Justin Bieber and the Weeknd all up there. Canada's a growing market, there's a lot of money to be made for companies here, and there will be a lot more after the all star game
      It doesn't matter the biggest names in music industry are all from Canada. They make most if not all their money from exposures in the U.S. They are them because of what they were able to do in U.S, not Canada.

with that being said, playing in Canada is a bonus for big stars like Blake. They would be able to tap into the Canadian market; at the same time keep their relevancy in the U.S market. After all, Every single game the Raptors play has U.S audience too.

it comes down to a very simple stat. The eyeballs. Therese 10x the eye balls in U.S than here. Which makes it "easier" to market your brand there.

Comment

• It doesn't matter where you are, especially today, if you're appealing, uber talented, and most importantly play an exciting brand of basketball.

Vince did just fine in toronto/Canada.

Durant does just fine in OKC.

LBJ had endorsements before he went to Miami.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
            It doesn't matter the biggest names in music industry are all from Canada. They make most if not all their money from exposures in the U.S. They are them because of what they were able to do in U.S, not Canada.

with that being said, playing in Canada is a bonus for big stars like Blake. They would be able to tap into the Canadian market; at the same time keep their relevancy in the U.S market. After all, Every single game the Raptors play has U.S audience too.

it comes down to a very simple stat. The eyeballs. Therese 10x the eye balls in U.S than here. Which makes it "easier" to market your brand there.
            Being able to market yourself on a national, or these days international level is heavily dependent on you being an elite and usually exciting player. Vince Carter proved that way back, and it's mattering less and less where you're playing in terms of building your brand. There are still some shitty small markets, and you still benefit more from being in NY or LA than anywhere else, but not by as much as you used to, and yeah, if you're just a really exciting talent that's not going to matter too much. So you can tap into the US market from pretty much anywhere in that case.

If you're not quite that level of talent, it matters more where you are. A guy like Lowry for instance, will never have that appeal. If he was playing as an all-star in NY, he'd be getting more American media attention, but not necessarily more endorsements. This may be especially true if he was 2nd fiddle to Melo, which is what I assume here, as Melo would get prime choice of endorsements still. *So how good would his deals be as a secondary star in that market? I don't know. He'd get exposure, but what would the $$ be like, since that's why they do it anyway?

For a guy like Lowry, being in Canada can be oddly beneficial. You don't have the "wow" factor to be the face of national campaigns in the States anyway, but you can have lots of offers from "local" sponsors that covers an entire country with a population roughly the size of Texas and a growing interest in the game. There are plenty of places in the States that wouldn't offer such a good opportunity.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 6, 2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
              It doesn't matter where you are, especially today, if you're appealing, uber talented, and most importantly play an exciting brand of basketball.

Vince did just fine in toronto/Canada.

Durant does just fine in OKC.

LBJ had endorsements before he went to Miami.
              It still absolutely matters where you are. The endorsement opportunities are a lot better for players in the US market, and particularly better if you're in a big city market. How many commercials or ad campaigns are Lowry and Derozan in? I don't live in Canada so I can't speak to that market, but they are on zero commercials in the US. It's the same with all the Blue Jays players, despite being one of the best teams in the MLB. The Raptors and Blue Jays also get next to no TV exposure in the US, despite fielding top teams in their respective sport. Vince did fine while playing in Toronto, but I think there is a very valid argument that he would have done much better had he been playing in a US market, especially a big city. People in the US hold a strong bias against Canadian teams and the players on them. If you're a Canadian player on a US team they will get behind you no problem, but not the other way around.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                It still absolutely matters where you are. The endorsement opportunities are a lot better for players in the US market, and particularly better if you're in a big city market. How many commercials or ad campaigns are Lowry and Derozan in? I don't live in Canada so I can't speak to that market, but they are on zero commercials in the US. It's the same with all the Blue Jays players, despite being one of the best teams in the MLB. The Raptors and Blue Jays also get next to no TV exposure in the US, despite fielding top teams in their respective sport. Vince did fine while playing in Toronto, but I think there is a very valid argument that he would have done much better had he been playing in a US market, especially a big city. People in the US hold a strong bias against Canadian teams and the players on them. If you're a Canadian player on a US team they will get behind you no problem, but not the other way around.
                The ad opportunities have always been limited once you get outside of the top 10-15 players, no matter where you are, and it's hard to argue that Lowry or DeRozan belongs in that group.

There's only so many opportunities for national ad campaigns once you get out of that very small group.
                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                  The ad opportunities have always been limited once you get outside of the top 10-15 players, no matter where you are, and it's hard to argue that Lowry or DeRozan belongs in that group.

There's only so many opportunities for national ad campaigns once you get out of that very small group.
                  Oubre, Rozier, Winslow got Adidas deals based solely on the markets they play in. You don't see our young guys getting that kind of love. Toronto players get a leg up in endorsements in Canada and a leg down in the US, just the way it is.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                    The Big Diesel knows.

DD has been good, but this team will go far depending on Lowry's play.
                    Last edited by A.I; Sat Feb 6, 2016, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Oubre, Rozier, Winslow got Adidas deals based solely on the markets they play in. You don't see our young guys getting that kind of love. Toronto players get a leg up in endorsements in Canada and a leg down in the US, just the way it is.
                      Ross has a shoe deal with the Chinese company that signed Wade. Since Ross though, we've only drafted one notable, JV. Big, white guys don't tend to get shoe deals though.
                      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Those probably aren't really lucrative deals though. These are probably "make good" deals where they sign at a tiny price to the company, and then if they explode as stars they'll be thrust to the front and get their deals bumped up to a whole different level.

I'm not saying it's not good for them, but I don't know that these deals are real difference makers in building their brand.

Comment

True, but two different Prime Ministers of Canada voted for Kyle Lowry to be an All-Star. He would never get voted in in the USA, and that's a lot of exposure.

Besides, both Kyle and DeMar have definitely had their share of marketing gigs up here. Off the top of my head there's Sport Chek, BMO, and Klipsch.

I think WMCJ is right in that if you are a superstar it's better to be in the US. But if you are a niche star there are opportunities in Canada too. Mind you you better live and spend the money in Canada otherwise the 40% currency ding is pretty crappy.

Comment

• You know the deadline is quiet when people are debating marketing deals.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                              True, but two different Prime Ministers of Canada voted for Kyle Lowry to be an All-Star. He would never get voted in in the USA, and that's a lot of exposure.

Besides, both Kyle and DeMar have definitely had their share of marketing gigs up here. Off the top of my head there's Sport Chek, BMO, and Klipsch.

I think WMCJ is right in that if you are a superstar it's better to be in the US. But if you are a niche star there are opportunities in Canada too. Mind you you better live and spend the money in Canada otherwise the 40% currency ding is pretty crappy.
                              Though I also said it mattered a lot less than it used to, even if you're in NY or LA (where you still do get a nice boost though). I mean, Durant plays in OKC. LeBron in Cleveland most of his career. You had KG build his brand from Minnesota in his prime. And Carter was the most marketable basketball player in the world for a couple of years from Toronto. If you're a superstar, you won't have to worry about endorsements.

But yeah, for guys like Lowry this would never be the case to begin with.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                                Though I also said it mattered a lot less than it used to, even if you're in NY or LA (where you still do get a nice boost though). I mean, Durant plays in OKC. LeBron in Cleveland most of his career. You had KG build his brand from Minnesota in his prime. And Carter was the most marketable basketball player in the world for a couple of years from Toronto. If you're a superstar, you won't have to worry about endorsements.

But yeah, for guys like Lowry this would never be the case to begin with.
                                Sorry if I misquoted you.

I think part of the reason location matters less for marketing nowadays is that the internet has made it easier to spread highlights/news/performance/promotion. The days of relying on ESPN/TSN are long behind us.

The bigger factors in terms of location attractiveness now are probably weather, taxes, and winning.
                                Last edited by Scraptor; Sat Feb 6, 2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X