Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    love for wiggins happened already and love is signed long term

i wouldn't do it if i was boston either, but that is because love isn't a good match for them.
    Love for Wiggins happened because Cleveland is run by a bunch of clowns.

Love was never worth that.

Celtics are stingy as fuck and they have so many more assets to trade. Ainge is all about looking for opportunities for a superstar, and Ben Simmons is the best opportunity for that this summer. Very few players worth that pick, especially with some guys being free agents this summer (ie it would be beyond stupid to trade it for Horford, Durant, etc. since the Celts don't have talent to contend this year anyway...their window is just opening and they need long-term stars, not rentals).

Comment

• Celtics would be playing the odds. The value of that pick on the trade market is a steep decline if it isn't #1. This draft has 1 clear cut guy - after that the pick isn't nearly as good. Love is still a star level talent. The #2-5 pick is worth giving up for Love. Higher chance of being 2-5 than 1.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Celtics could put a #1 pick protection on it.. But I suspect this is just a fantasy trade. But if Celtics get Love that would be great for us. Horford becomes easier to get.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          Celtics would be playing the odds. The value of that pick on the trade market is a steep decline if it isn't #1. This draft has 1 clear cut guy - after that the pick isn't nearly as good. Love is still a star level talent. The #2-5 pick is worth giving up for Love. Higher chance of being 2-5 than 1.
          I don't believe that for a second. Love is barely worth a lottery pick. Still inflated perceptions around the league for a guy who can't be a #1 option, and complains about being anything else, and meanwhile might be one of the worst defensive PFs in the league.

Not to mention the arrogance in assuming you can definitively project picks 2-5 being worse than him. A clear cut #1 doesn't mean picks 2-5 aren't worth keeping. And if you lose the #1 pick, well then you're looking like a total fucking idiot.

Having a clear cut first overall pick doesn't diminish the value of the picks that follow, it should just boost the value of that pick, which in this case is still a pick they'd likely have one of the top 3-4 chances of landing. The value of that pick for the future of their team is much higher than getting Love. Again, partly because there's still a good chance they can nab as good or better a talent even if it isn't the 1st pick. I'm not prepared to say Love is a better option than guys like Ingram or Bender, nor the possible other names whose stock could still skyrocket leading up to the draft.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            Celtics could put a #1 pick protection on it.. But I suspect this is just a fantasy trade. But if Celtics get Love that would be great for us. Horford becomes easier to get.
            It actually feels like a NY fantasy. Lets get rid of Melo, send an overrated player to a rival, and end up with the best young core in the conference if things go right at the draft.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
              Celtics could put a #1 pick protection on it.. But I suspect this is just a fantasy trade. But if Celtics get Love that would be great for us. Horford becomes easier to get.
              I'm pretty sure Celtics can't change protection on the BKL pick. They have to move it with the same conditions it was traded to them, and there were none....so yeah, that pick is highly valuable.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                It actually feels like a NY fantasy. Lets get rid of Melo, send an overrated player to a rival, and end up with the best young core in the conference if things go right at the draft.
                Frank Isola is a Knicks beat reporter.. so wouldn't be surprised by that.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Celtics can't change protection on the BKL pick. They have to move it with the same conditions it was traded to them, and there were none....so yeah, that pick is highly valuable.
                  Really? Didn't know that.. well then yeah, Celtics aren't trading that pick, unless they get someone like KD for it.

* even then they could just sign him outright. So yeah, it's not happening.

Comment

I don't believe that for a second. Love is barely worth a lottery pick. Still inflated perceptions around the league for a guy who can't be a #1 option, and complains about being anything else, and meanwhile might be one of the worst defensive PFs in the league.

Not to mention the arrogance in assuming you can definitively project picks 2-5 being worse than him. A clear cut #1 doesn't mean picks 2-5 aren't worth keeping. And if you lose the #1 pick, well then you're looking like a total fucking idiot.

Having a clear cut first overall pick doesn't diminish the value of the picks that follow, it should just boost the value of that pick, which in this case is still a pick they'd likely have one of the top 3-4 chances of landing. The value of that pick for the future of their team is much higher than getting Love. Again, partly because there's still a good chance they can nab as good or better a talent even if it isn't the 1st pick. I'm not prepared to say Love is a better option than guys like Ingram or Bender, nor the possible other names whose stock could still skyrocket leading up to the draft.
                    Love is better than you think. Still an elite rebounder and shooter for his size. Just because Cleveland has misused him doesn't mean he isn't a top 5 PF in this league.

I'm not that impressed with the rest of the top 10 draft class after Simmons. If Boston feels that way, then they would likely make the deal. No arrogance in saying that. Perhaps some in your claims though.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Crazy how underrated Love has become. If that pick isn't #1 like Axel pointed out, it's an excellent trade.

Right now the Nets have the T-3rd worst record and probably going to be 4th worst considering Phoenix's situation. That means there's an 88.1% chance that the pick ends up anywhere from 2nd-7th (i.e. not 1st).

If the pick ends up #1 it's a bad deal, but Love is criminally underrated nowadays similar to how Bosh was when he went to Miami. He's still one of the best PFs in the game, and Brad Stevens would certainly utilize him more and probably run a good chunk of the offense through him within his system. You make a Love a focal point he's giving you an efficient 20-10 close to 5 assists and spacing the floor while being a major factor in the post. Second star along with Isaiah.

If you're Boston and trying to make a serious pitch to free agents in the offseason, making this move, making a serious run at the conference finals and then saying to a guy like Durant, "Hey, you could come in and take this to a championship level" could be huge.

It's basically what we're trying to do except they have better trade assets and cap space (although we have better players).

Quite frankly, if Boston is hesitant on this and Love is available, Masai needs to get in on this. Offer the Knicks their pick back and bring Love in here. They can tank to their hearts content and hope that Denver gives up in a couple weeks.

EDIT: Just realized it would be nearly impossible for us to pull off this trade without sending a lot of assets back to New York in addition to their pick because of how big Love's contract is.
                      Last edited by JWash; Sat Feb 13, 2016, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• For the record I've always thought Love is overrated.

He isn't a #1 guy. He needs the ball too much and has zero in between game. You have to design your whole offence around putting him in static spots where he's not capable of improvising at a high level. You can run him off the 3 pt line and have time for your D to recover every time. You can defend him one on one in the post with a decently sized player, because he's overrated and undersized there. He's even an overrated rebounder as I've seen him frequently ignore his defensive assignment so he can cherry pick near the basket for rebounds (ie pad his stats).

If I were Boston I'd keep what I got.

**If he were ok with being used and paid like a #3,4 option, that'd be great, but he's obviously not ok with this.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Feb 13, 2016, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• Remember when people thought Love would be a great fit in Toronto?

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                            Remember when people thought Love would be a great fit in Toronto?
                            He would be. Elite rebounder. Elite shooter for the position. Elite outlet passer.

He's not a great defender but neither is Demar and it's working. If a guy is elite at enough things, you make the defensive adjustments.

Comment

For the record I've always thought Love is overrated.

He isn't a #1 guy. He needs the ball too much and has zero in between game. You have to design your whole offence around putting him in static spots where he's not capable of improvising at a high level. You can run him off the 3 pt line and have time for your D to recover every time. You can defend him one on one in the post with a decently sized player, because he's overrated and undersized there. He's even an overrated rebounder as I've seen him frequently ignore his defensive assignment so he can cherry pick near the basket for rebounds (ie pad his stats).

If I were Boston I'd keep what I got.

**If he were ok with being used and paid like a #3,4 option, that'd be great, but he's obviously not ok with this.
                              So who can you draft with picks 2-5 that would be better than Love? That's the question Boston needs to ask.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                                So who can you draft with picks 2-5 that would be better than Love? That's the question Boston needs to ask.
                                No, that's one question.

The first question to ask is: is Kevin Love worth giving up a pick that could net you Ben Simmons?

That's the thing. The pick could end up being a talent who's obviously better than Love. And then even if it's not, it's entirely possible that someone, if not more than one player, in the top 5 end up comparable talent to Love, who himself was a 5th pick and not considered a "sure thing". So I'm sure it's not crazy to think at least one player in 2-5 could be better than him.

Comment

Working...
                                X