Raptors 2016 Trade Deadline - Dec 15th 2015 - Feb 18th 2016 @ 3pm EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
    I've lately accepted as likely the low-attention idea which I saw I-forget-where that what the Raptors are currently trying to do before the trade deadline is to find a transaction which will allow them to add Ronald Roberts to their roster. That doesn't mean that some of the trades discussed in this thread won't happen, but it does suggest something like Johnson and Scola for PJ Tucker might be more likely than a major blockbuster.

It does mean that, if nothing else happens, that Bennett might be bought out. I think the Raptors might be trying to avoid that, though, because it would probably resonate negatively with some of the fanbase, but it certainly could happen, especially if there is some particular reason they are disappointed in him.

Aside: for all the hoopla about bringing Bennett here, the organization certainly doesn't seem to have been doing much to develop him, e.g. through the Raptors 905. It sounded like when they brought him here, they knew he would be a long term prospect - that he would probably be two years away - so for there to not be much visible movement on that front is surprising.
    Almost any deal will see us sending out more pieces than we are taking in, as our expirings and generally our tradeable salaries are all quite low, meaning we need to package multiple deals to get anything of value in return, in all likelihood. So the Roberts add would be a side effect pretty much no matter what we do (especially since there's good odds two of our forwards, Scola and JJ, are sent out in a deal).
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I've lately accepted as likely the low-attention idea which I saw I-forget-where that what the Raptors are currently trying to do before the trade deadline is to find a transaction which will allow them to add Ronald Roberts to their roster. That doesn't mean that some of the trades discussed in this thread won't happen, but it does suggest something like Johnson and Scola for PJ Tucker might be more likely than a major blockbuster.

It does mean that, if nothing else happens, that Bennett might be bought out. I think the Raptors might be trying to avoid that, though, because it would probably resonate negatively with some of the fanbase, but it certainly could happen, especially if there is some particular reason they are disappointed in him.

Aside: for all the hoopla about bringing Bennett here, the organization certainly doesn't seem to have been doing much to develop him, e.g. through the Raptors 905. It sounded like when they brought him here, they knew he would be a long term prospect - that he would probably be two years away - so for there to not be much visible movement on that front is surprising.
      Yeah, I saw that on hoopshype as well. Raptors want to make it a priority to bring up Ronald Roberts. They are probably trying to get as many able bodies as they can to throw at LeBron, should we match up with the Cavs in the playoffs.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
        Superstars? Ok, gonna try not to miss anyone here:

LeBron James
        Stephen Curry
        Kevin Durant
        Russell Westbrook
        Kawhi Leonard
        Blake Griffin
        Chris Paul
        James Harden
        DeMarcus Cousins
        Anthony Davis
        Kyle Lowry (at his best I really think he is)
        I'd take Horford over Griffin 10 times out of 10.

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          Morey: "So Masai, what do you think about a deal with Howard and JV as the principals?"

Click

Morey: "Masai?"
          It wasn't that long ago (during the Colangelo era), that people here were talking about Morey as the gold standard of GMs. To be honest, I was never impressed, despite his embrace of advanced stats.

Comment

• Good read

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/2016/...talk-and-more/
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              It wasn't that long ago (during the Colangelo era), that people here were talking about Morey as the gold standard of GMs. To be honest, I was never impressed, despite his embrace of advanced stats.
              He's a beast when it comes to asset collection and winning trades but sucks at team building in my opinion

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Morey just wants talented players on his team. That's why he went after Bosh, Lowry, Carmelo, etc..

It's the same thing that Ainge is doing in Boston. It's not a bad strategy. It will backfire though if the talent can't get along with other talent. Sometimes fit is more important.

Hence why lots of people are frowning on a guy like Morris (might have the talent, but does he fit).

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Me either. He is too much about analytics. And players are just assets to him. Not a good place to play I feel like.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Me either. He is too much about analytics. And players are just assets to him. Not a good place to play I feel like.

Given how they're publicly disintegrating, it seems like that could be the case. That said, if Beverly had been healthy last year, they might be the defending champions right now.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                      Morey just wants talented players on his team. That's why he went after Bosh, Lowry, Carmelo, etc..

It's the same thing that Ainge is doing in Boston. It's not a bad strategy. It will backfire though if the talent can't get along with other talent. Sometimes fit is more important.

Hence why lots of people are frowning on a guy like Morris (might have the talent, but does he fit).
                      See, I think Morris fits tremendously well, basketball wise. The real question is the locker room fit (and how much his struggles this season we ascribe to the mess in PHX). I think it is important to separate the two ideas.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                        It's definitely weird that he's 12th in minutes on the D-league squad. Either he's much worse than we expected or something else is going on. Haven't heard about any injuries.

Not sure what they'll do with him but it'd be kind of sad if the first ever Canadian #1 washed out of the league this early in his career. Really hoped he would turn it around. (Maybe he still can.)
                        Maybe they're worried that being sent down (for too long or at all) will ruin his confidence and no amount of playing time in the D league can make up for that. I can't see him being that close to cracking the rotation that they keep him around.
                        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Bennett assignments are voluntary and need approval from the PA. I'm sure he got injured the day of being sent down once. Also guess with Carroll's injury woes this year, Bennett was a bit of insurance on the bench.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Analytics have little to do with their struggles. Harden came to camp out of shape and has once again been a defensive sieve after the positive defense he played last year.

He got Lawson for next to nothing, and that what Lawson has been worth. No one thought he'd be this bad.

Injuries to DMo and TJones have shredded their front court also.
                            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Let me throw out a trade here even though I'd probably roll my eyes at if if someone else posted it.

Scola/JJ for Tucker/Jon Leuer - http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=z6d7t75

(we could also include Bennett if we want to open up a roster spot, regardless of any negative PR that may cause)

We'd likely have to throw in our 1st pick because I can't see Phoenix really wanting either of those players (though a vet like Scola would have some value to any team).

Gives us a tough wing defender and another stretchier 4 in Leuer - who I'm going to assume is more mobile than Scola.
                              http://bkref.com/tiny/D1Kr7

Tucker only has $1.5M guaranteed next season so he can be bought out if he's not wanted. Leuer is an impending UFA and I don't know if Phoenix wants to keep him or if he wants to resign. So he could be a rental though I don't think he'd be incredibly expensive to keep around - not that he's the long term answer anyway. He hasn't played a lot recently, may be injured or just benched as part of the Morris showcase showdown.

So you may end up spending a 1st round pick on two rentals who aren't around next year. I don't know if Phoenix does it for a couple 2nds or not, or maybe one of the young players like Delon instead. But I think both players could help the rest of this season if they're healthy. It may just be a marginal increase that's offset by the loss of chemistry and familiarity they have with Scola, but that's difficult to calculate.
                              Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• i think Masai's either going to stand pat or pull off a stunner deal for a legit all star type player
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X