Raptors 2016 Trade Deadline - Dec 15th 2015 - Feb 18th 2016 @ 3pm EST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    Nope! But he's handling those things wrong already, so I don't think that's a factor we should be considering too heavily.
    Haha, true, knowing Casey he will see acquiring Morris as an opportunity to up Derozan and Lowry's usage even more.

Comment

• Casey is the problem with any scenario. It's easy for me to look at a Morris trade and say 'holy shit! DeMar and Kief PnR? Sounds amazing!'. Except...

We never pass to the roll man. Never. Doesn't matter who it is.
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
        It doesn't work like that... Scola and Patterson have pretty much no overlap in usage, because they aren't on the floor together almost ever.
        Obviously man, okay I'll word it differently... Scola receives 2pats bench usage ( Maye a little less) and Morris steps into Scola's usage , I doubt Scola and Morris will be on the floor together very much.

Comment

• breakin_ankles wrote: View Post
          Obviously man, okay I'll word it differently... Scola receives 2pats bench usage ( Maye a little less) and Morris steps into Scola's usage , I doubt Scola and Morris will be on the floor together very much.
          I don't know if you quite get what usage means. Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor. So a player can play 2 minutes per game and have 50% usage if half the plays are used by him. Morris would be starting in place of Scola, so he'd naturally take on Scola's 20% usage in the starting lineup, but he'd need to get his 6% extra usage from the other 4 starters. Or at least 3%, as he was a 23% usage guy the two seasons prior to this one. So ideally he takes 2% from Lowry and 2% from Derozan.

Comment

• How does his pending felony charge play into this in a logistic sense.

Should he be found guilty would that pose a violent offender border crossing issue?

Comment

• Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
              How does his pending felony charge play into this in a logistic sense.

Should he be found guilty would that pose a violent offender border crossing issue?
              This is a really good question.

EDIT: If found guilty of a felony, can he even get a work visa for Canada?

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                I don't know if you quite get what usage means. Usage percentage is an estimate of the percentage of team plays used by a player while he was on the floor. So a player can play 2 minutes per game and have 50% usage if half the plays are used by him. Morris would be starting in place of Scola, so he'd naturally take on Scola's 20% usage in the starting lineup, but he'd need to get his 6% extra usage from the other 4 starters. Or at least 3%, as he was a 23% usage guy the two seasons prior to this one. So ideally he takes 2% from Lowry and 2% from Derozan.
                I do understand, from what I've seen of Morris he is a solid play maker with decent passing abilities, will most likely function better within an offence than Scola when it comes to creating for others.

Comment

• breakin_ankles wrote: View Post
                  I do understand, from what I've seen of Morris he is a solid play maker with decent passing abilities, will most likely function better within an offence than Scola when it comes to creating for others.
                  Right, except playmaking abilities require playmaking opportunities, which our offense doesn't generate.

Comment

This is a really good question.

EDIT: If found guilty of a felony, can he even get a work visa for Canada?
                    I'm not a lawyer --

The answer to both is yes. A felony will effect his ability to cross the border. However, there are ways to get legal permission to work in Canada in advance of a border crossing. Even so, a customs officer could look at a visa, and recognize a waiver and still reject a person crossing the border.

The work visa situation for entertainers has changed dramatically pretty recently to make it easier for performers to visit Canada. Not sure how that affects performers with criminal records.

Comment

Right, except playmaking abilities require playmaking opportunities, which our offense doesn't generate.
                      That's cause we don't have other play makers. If Morris joined the team he'd be our 4th best play maker after KL/DD/COJO. All are current bigs aren't able to grab the rebound and start the fast break. It's all about whose on the roster.
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        That's cause we don't have other play makers. If Morris joined the team he'd be our 4th best play maker after KL/DD/COJO. All are current bigs aren't able to grab the rebound and start the fast break. It's all about whose on the roster.
                        Pretty much every player who's a good playmaker sees their assist numbers drop when they join the Raptors. I don't expect Markieff to suddenly be a massive exception to this.

Edit: Prior to this year, Scola had posted assist rates above 11% in 5 of the past 6 seasons. This season he's at 6.3%.

Comment

• A few take aways:

- This was at 116 pages when the PJ tucker deal came up, an hour or 2 later, after the MM rumor, it's at 125 lol

- I don't think Masai has an issue with knuckleheads an locker room problems; Lowry, James Johnson a JaVale (not so much) were considered problem players. I think there's a sense of trust an accountability from the players to the GM. I think he'd take a shot at Markieff if the trade is right.

- The Raptors are probably the highest bidders right now. If there' other team interested, why single us out? I'm guessing there's a trade already offered, and Suns GM is saying last call for a higher bid. I think trade trade happen when JJ is back from injury, as he will be part of the deal if Tucker comes in.

- Markieff was definitely auditioning his skills during the game

Comment

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
                            A few take aways:

- This was at 116 pages when the PJ tucker deal came up, an hour or 2 later, after the MM rumor, it's at 125 lol

- I don't think Masai has an issue with knuckleheads an locker room problems; Lowry, James Johnson a JaVale (not so much) were considered problem players. I think there's a sense of trust an accountability from the players to the GM. I think he'd take a shot at Markieff if the trade is right.

- The Raptors are probably the highest bidders right now. If there' other team interested, why single us out? I'm guessing there's a trade already offered, and Suns GM is saying last call for a higher bid. I think trade trade happen when JJ is back from injury, as he will be part of the deal if Tucker comes in.

- Markieff was definitely auditioning his skills during the game
                            We don't even know what Stein's source is though. We know from history, it's not likely the Raptors.

So that leaves either an agent, or someone in the Suns organization. For all we know this is the Suns baiting another team into raising their offer.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              I'm not a lawyer --

The answer to both is yes. A felony will effect his ability to cross the border. However, there are ways to get legal permission to work in Canada in advance of a border crossing. Even so, a customs officer could look at a visa, and recognize a waiver and still reject a person crossing the border.

The work visa situation for entertainers has changed dramatically pretty recently to make it easier for performers to visit Canada. Not sure how that affects performers with criminal records.
                              Cool thanks,

These 10+ pages have really whipped up a lather around this idea.

Adding an equal if not plus 4 on a team friendly deal while getting a defensive plus 3 seems like a sound strategy for our playoff push.

As many have said; at what cost? PP, JJ, and rooks plus late firsts is easy to pull the trigger on. Either MM's head is a real mess or Phoenix sees this as the fleecing it is.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                                I'm not a lawyer --

Lots of NBA players have criminal records, and I've never heard of one not being able to come play in Toronto. For instance, Ty Lawson got two DUI's in 2015 and another one in 2008.

Comment

Working...
                                X