Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo is Selling Raptor Fans Average. Is Anyone Buying?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo is Selling Raptor Fans Average. Is Anyone Buying?

Around the 7-13 mark I wrote in this blog several entries questioning many of the values and ideas the Raptors organizations operates on. I questioned Chris Bosh’s effectiveness as a leader as things started turning around before the all-star break and the effectiveness of other players such as Calderon, Bargnani and DeRozan on this team. Yes, we all agree that many other players were bad but they had the excuse of being on a new team.
    What upsets me most about this team is that they were average then and have proven to be average, or below average at the end of the season. Bryan Colangelo told all of us yesterday that it’s great to be average. He had the guts to point out that during his tenure here this team has averaged 40 win seasons. A cause for celebration I guess since his predecessors has averaged 22 win seasons……
    Is Colangelo the one to blame of this mess? Yes, partially. Will he get it right eventually? Yes. I think the Raptors will be very competitive in two years if they can add a major free agent this year and they end up keeping Bosh, Bargnani, DeRozan, Turkoglu and Weems as the core. If I were given 6 years to run the team I would get it right too, eventually. The reason MSL brought him on in the first place was for his ability to produce instant results. For this reason alone they should not renew his contract next year if the Raptors do not make the playoffs.
    Three key areas that the Raptors will need to improve on to have multiple 50+ win seasons:
    A proven coach – We now know that Triano is not going anywhere next year. This is not going to help this team’s development. They need a proven coach. Who is ideal is hard to tell.
    Retaining Chris Bosh. Is Bosh a max player? Absolutely no. Do the Raptors have better options? No. For that reason alone they need to keep him if they want to at least continue to remain competitive.

A Second proven all-star to join the roster. The first area that comes to mind is shooting and/or point guard. I truly do not believe that we can get a quality shooting guard this year through free agency or trade so we should concentrate on acquiring a quality point guard. My opinion here is that the Raptors should go all out to acquire Chris Paul, even if it means giving up Bargnani, Calderon, DeRozan and an expiring contract to acquire him along with the heavy contracts of West and Okafor in the process.

Both West and Okafor are much better defenders, rebounders that Bargnani will ever be and they give you depth on the 4 and 5 positions although neither one of the is a true center.

I just do not want to put up with another average season next year. Had enough of it.

panagnos wrote: View Post
    My opinion here is that the Raptors should go all out to acquire Chris Paul, even if it means giving up Bargnani, Calderon, DeRozan and an expiring contract to acquire him along with the heavy contracts of West and Okafor in the process.

Both West and Okafor are much better defenders, rebounders that Bargnani will ever be and they give you depth on the 4 and 5 positions although neither one of the is a true center.

I just do not want to put up with another average season next year. Had enough of it.
    Would you trade Paul and West or Okafor for Calderon, Bargnani, DeRozan and an expiring contract? I know I wouldn't... Wish I couldn't say the same for the Hornets.

Comment

in reality what are the chances of us picking up via sign or trade or through sign and trades either Devin Harris, Monte Ellis, or Stuckey or Chris Paul?
      Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

ZERO. Bosh is going to pick his team and then Colangelo is going to try and work a S&T with that team if it's not the Raptors. Bosh is not picking the Nets, Warriors, Pistons or Hornets over the Raptors.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
          ZERO. Bosh is going to pick his team and then Colangelo is going to try and work a S&T with that team if it's not the Raptors. Bosh is not picking the Nets, Warriors, Pistons or Hornets over the Raptors.
          I certainly hope that there is more than 1 team chosen. There is no bargaining power dealing with just a single team...especially if they know it.

Comment

panagnos wrote: View Post
            What upsets me most about this team is that they were average then and have proven to be average, or below average at the end of the season. Bryan Colangelo told all of us yesterday that it’s great to be average. He had the guts to point out that during his tenure here this team has averaged 40 win seasons. A cause for celebration I guess since his predecessors has averaged 22 win seasons……
            If you watch the entire interview again you'll notice that while Colangelo does point out that the team has averaged 40 wins in his 4 seasons vs. 29 wins in the 4 seasons before, but he also said that no one on his management team, including himself, are proud with a 40 win average. He was just pointing out that during his tenure there has been improvement overall.

Comment

Comment

AJ360 wrote: View Post
                If you watch the entire interview again you'll notice that while Colangelo does point out that the team has averaged 40 wins in his 4 seasons vs. 29 wins in the 4 seasons before, but he also said that no one on his management team, including himself, are proud with a 40 win average. He was just pointing out that during his tenure there has been improvement overall.
                Yeah that was my take too -- that Colangelo was unhappy that the team was only averaging 40 wins + wanted to push the team on into 50 win range.

That even though he was unhappy with their success so far that they have been moving in the right direction. But not to a satisfactory level yet.
                nbaroundtable

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  what the hell is that for?
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    what the hell is that for?
                    To illustrate that the team has been a treatmill team for the past 4 seasons, always thinking they will get somewhere to the next level when in actuality they have stayed mediocre and at the exact same spot.

It won't be long before we end up like the Washington Wizards.

Comment

Working...
                    X