How to Get Joe Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Get Joe Johnson

In principle, and perhaps in need of some work on salary cap details, but why wouldn't the following trade be a possibility - and be beneficial for all teams involved?

This is under the assumption that:

a)the Hawks are unable (for whatever reason) to resign Joe Johnson.
    b)the 76ers are looking to rebuild, want to shed salary and need a point guard.

76ers receive: Jose Calderon & Demar Derozan
    Hawks receive: Andre Iguodala
    Raptors receive: Joe Johnson (hawks sign and trade)

I'm not sure how good my understanding of cap rules is (enter the RR forum), but why wouldn't this work?

-Our defense improves, our offense improves, Bosh gets his wing.
    -Johnson gets paid, plays in a big city, on a team with 2 all-stars (both of which could easily start for the East. book it - bosh starts next all star game)
    -Hawks save money, adequately deal with Johnson's exit.
    -76ers save money, gain excellent prospect and legit PG.

Thoughts?

Joe Johnson probably wants the max - your trade has him making about $12 mil for it to work I think.

Non-salary wise, the 76ers get completely ripped off in the trade. Even if they are looking to rebuild.

Comment

Yeah, that might work ... a third team is a necessity though. No way Atlanta is interested in a sign and trade with what Toronto is offering them. But if the Raptors could parlay DeRozan + other assets (expirings or Bargnani or Jose) into this type of trade, yeah, that offer would make things interesting. Definitely worth considering if you're the Hawks.

$56 million for four years of Iguodala or $92/120 million for five/six years of Joe Johnson and the Hawks have already expressed their uncertainty over paying Joe that type of money by refusing to offer him a large contract extension this past summer (only willing to offer $60 over four years).
      nbaroundtable

Comment

Under the espn trade machine i think the raps need to shed about an extra 3 million in contracts for this to work, under the assumption that Johnson would sign for, say, 16.5m. I realize it's not the max (just under), but will Johnson receive the max from anyone? and is that marginal difference enough to sway johnson from what Toronto can provide if he were to sign here?

And for the 76ers, they really don't get ripped off that badly. The combined output of Jose and Derozan equals what Iggy produces. On top of that Igguodala has been getting worse, whereas derozan is only gonna get better.

Comment

Signing Joe Johnson to the max is going to be suicide for any franchise. The guy wants to get paid and then relax. That's why he's going to NYC.

Philly has Lou Williams who is better than Jose and Jrue Holiday who will be better than Jose. They would rather resign AI to a 3 year 30 million appearance contract than pay Jose 9 million to be the third point guard.

Good thinking, but Philly is trying to add young talent and shed big contracts, they won't do any deal where they are taking back a big contract.

Comment

Correct me if i'm wrong, but - at this point - isn't the only way to shed contracts is for a team to either take on expirings for next season - or trade to a team under the cap so you can take back less in salary than you put out? If so, then we could always throw them Banks, Evans and Bellinelli and Derozan, keeping our starting PG, and giving us enough extra cash to sign Johnson for 16.7m.

Comment

By the way - in the above scenario - Philly would have a total of 35.5 million in expiring contracts for next season. Let alone that giving them the ability to sign 2 max free agents, but keeping in mind a potential lockout and a new CBA, and that then becomes a significant asset.
              Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Tue Apr 20, 2010, 04:15 PM. Reason: clarity of purpose.

Comment

what if we added some expiring contracts (marco, evans, banks) to sweeten the deal for the sixers? if they are in rebuild mode, then they do get some value. i think joe johnson would be a good fit, but only if he's not getting that max. deal. there are a lot of teams out there that can offer a max contract and i think some team is going to bite and overpay. there are about 3/4 max contract players and almost double the number of teams that have enough cap space, so i think someone will give him a max deal.

Comment

I would say that instead of spending 20-30 million per season on JJ, it would be wiserto spend 13-14million per season on Iggy and potentially still use the MLE on acquiring another player.

Comment

i don't think iggy can create his own shot as well as jj and jj is an all-star player. he can do both things, create for himself and be a spot-up shooter and with all the ball-handlers we have on the team now, i think that kind of flexibility to play in both kinds of ways is a huge plus. i don't think iggy can be effective with a dominant PF, just look at what happened with the sixers (even though brand's stock dropped, he still demands the ball in the offense and CB will does the same).

Comment

By signing Johnson at 16.5 & Bosh at 16.83, add up the rest of the contracts and we're under the luxury tax - thereby still giving us the MLE (amir). Maybe I'm just blinded by my own post or something, but I can't see either of the three teams not wanting to do this trade. Philly gets its best possible chance to rebuild - with an emerging star guard to boot, Hawks get a good Johnson replacement and save 3-4m, and the Raps become instant contenders - with a young core locked in for 4-5 years.

Unless there's something i'm missing concerning the salary cap restrictions on Toronto.

Comment

Also, the phrase "johnson replacement" is pretty funny.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                          By signing Johnson at 16.5 & Bosh at 16.83, add up the rest of the contracts and we're under the luxury tax - thereby still giving us the MLE (amir). Maybe I'm just blinded by my own post or something, but I can't see either of the three teams not wanting to do this trade. Philly gets its best possible chance to rebuild - with an emerging star guard to boot, Hawks get a good Johnson replacement and save 3-4m, and the Raps become instant contenders - with a young core locked in for 4-5 years.

Unless there's something i'm missing concerning the salary cap restrictions on Toronto.
                          Problem is that Bosh is going to want a max contract, and Johnson will likely get one as well. So thats $20 million+ per year a piece

Comment

The maximum contract can be no higher than 30% of the salary cap in its first year for players who have played as long as Bosh has. With a projected cap of 56.1m, that equals 16.83m. Bosh (nor Lebron James, nor James Johnson) cannot make more than that next year.
                            Last edited by jeff_hostetler; Tue Apr 20, 2010, 08:26 PM. Reason: unnecessary

Comment

Alternatively:

Golden State receives: Derozan, Banks & Evans (11.8m in expiring contracts plus an excellent prospect to pair with Curry)
                              76ers receive: Monta Ellis and Belinelli (legit primary scorer to replace Iguodala, and an expiring contract)
                              Hawks receive: Andre Iguodala
                              Raptors receive: Joe Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X