Building a contender on a knife's edge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
    thats a little cryptic even for csis.. what does p00ka = salmon = Eliza mean ?
    Axel wrote: View Post
    Work backwards mate.
    Hmm... still trying to figure this one out. 'Eliza Salmon' was an English vocalist who lived in the 18th century.. Critics often said that it was "hard to distinguish her voice from the instrument". In Irish mythology, a pooka is a hobgoblin who changes it's shape, making it difficult for people to identify it.

Real cryptic stuff right there.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
      In Irish mythology, a pooka is a hobgoblin who changes it's shape, making it difficult for people to identify it.
      Never knew that. Anyways good night (and move on).
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Hmm... still trying to figure this one out. 'Eliza Salmon' was an English vocalist who lived in the 18th century.. Critics often said that it was "hard to distinguish her voice from the instrument". In Irish mythology, a pooka is a hobgoblin who changes it's shape, making it difficult for people to identify it.

LOL.. Ignorance is bliss on this one... It must be some kind of high school lunch table squabble that happened in the past...
        Guys who can delete stuff at will don't seem to want to relive what must have been some epic republican drama. So be it...
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Dudes, it's just a poster who trolls who keeps making new accounts with different names and has been caught over and over again. There's nothing more to it.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

well, at least that troll had an apt name then.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
              LOL.. Ignorance is bliss on this one... It must be some kind of high school lunch table squabble that happened in the past...
              Guys who can delete stuff at will don't seem to want to relive what must have been some epic republican drama. So be it...
              You're finally getting it.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                Dudes, it's just a poster who trolls who keeps making new accounts with different names and has been caught over and over again. There's nothing more to it.
                Could we sign someone like that to improve the team? What are the cap implications? Keeping in mind we decided to hold on to you for at least another year
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                  I didn't have a problem with the actual STRATEGY if the Raptors flame out in a the playoffs.

What I had an issue with was the insinuation that a Raptors squad with no Lowry/DD and no other additions (which is what you explicitly stated in your post) would win 50 games in the NBA. There's absolutely no reason to stretch the truth that far to try and get your point across. Just operate within the realm of reality.
                  I think the team would look a lot like the Trailblazers, and as you said they are not a 50 win team. If we want to become a team that is good because of the coaching and system, then I think it makes it easier to go this route with young guys, just probably won't result in as many wins for a while.

Comment

• I just don't see Masai tanking in his last two years under contract.
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      I just don't see Masai tanking in his last two years under contract.
                      Rebuilding doesn't need to mean tanking.

You can change the complexion of a team and still win games. Getting younger would extend our window.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        Rebuilding doesn't need to mean tanking.

You can change the complexion of a team and still win games. Getting younger would extend our window.
                        I've got a question though.

If we're moving out our older pieces and still trying to win games, how are we going to get that superstar talent that elevates us past where we are right now?

I kind of thought that was the whole point of it. Tear-down so we can try to do that through the draft. If that's not the case then we're not really progressing at all.

Comment

• Building a contender on a knife's edge?

JWash wrote: View Post
                          I've got a question though.

If we're moving out our older pieces and still trying to win games, how are we going to get that superstar talent that elevates us past where we are right now?

I kind of thought that was the whole point of it. Tear-down so we can try to do that through the draft. If that's not the case then we're not really progressing at all.
                          Depends on what is brought in from trading Lowry, but a quick retool around JV could keep this team competitive (making the playoffs) and give us financial flexibility.

The Knicks pick could also play a big part.

You can get younger and better positioned for the long term without completely tearing it down.

Comment

Depends on what is brought in from trading Lowry, but a quick retool around JV could keep this team competitive (making the playoffs) and give us financial flexibility.

The Knicks pick could also play a big part.

You can get younger and better positioned for the long term without completely tearing it down.
                            You're not going to trade Lowry or DeRozan for a superstar.

The Knicks pick is here regardless of whether Lowry/DD are here or not.

The point is that if you're not setting up to acquire a superstar via the draft what is the point of the tear down? Sure the team gets younger, but the ceiling is arguably lower or at best the same. Our problem right now is lack of superstar talent. You're certainly not getting it via free agency with that kind of squad so I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

If we're tearing it down and getting rid of Lowry and DD. The logical course of action would be to tank. If you're not trying to get a superstar, then wtf are we actually doing with that strategy? Just extending a "window" doesn't do a whole lot for us.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                              You're not going to trade Lowry or DeRozan for a superstar.

The Knicks pick is here regardless of whether Lowry/DD are here or not.

The point is that if you're not setting up to acquire a superstar via the draft what is the point of the tear down? Sure the team gets younger, but the ceiling is arguably lower or at best the same. Our problem right now is lack of superstar talent. You're certainly not getting it via free agency with that kind of squad so I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

If we're tearing it down and getting rid of Lowry and DD. The logical course of action would be to tank. If you're not trying to get a superstar, then wtf are we actually doing with that strategy? Just extending a "window" doesn't do a whole lot for us.
                              I disagree with most of what you said.

JV is young. If we are able to pair him with Murray then that is a good starting point for a new core.

Being younger and not capped out is a good place to start. With the right coach and return on Lowry and DD, then we can quickly reload.

The biggest issues with our team seem to be age/contract status, and use of personnel. I believe JV can be a 20-10 guy in the right system. I believe that Masai can get Ibaka to consider our offer (never underestimate the Africa connection). I believe that Ross and Carroll can be more than we see under Casey. I believe the right coach can make a world of difference.

Comment

I disagree with most of what you said.

JV is young. If we are able to pair him with Murray then that is a good starting point for a new core.

Being younger and not capped out is a good place to start. With the right coach and return on Lowry and DD, then we can quickly reload.

The biggest issues with our team seem to be age/contract status, and use of personnel. I believe JV can be a 20-10 guy in the right system. I believe that Masai can get Ibaka to consider our offer (never underestimate the Africa connection). I believe that Ross and Carroll can be more than we see under Casey. I believe the right coach can make a world of difference.
                                We're only capped out for this free agency period, afterwards we're not.

I'm not really interested in quickly reloading. It doesn't make sense. If you're not getting your hands on a superstar talent, when those prospects finally top out you're not going to be in any better of a position than we're in right now. Someone like Murray can still be drafted with those guys here, we could still go after Ibaka, so I'm not seeing where the big leap is coming from.

If you're trading Lowry and DD you need to tank in order to raise the ceiling of the squad moving forwards, because the only way to become a title contender is to get your hands on a superstar. Sitting in the middle with JV and prospects isn't going to get it done.

Comment

Working...
                                X