X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snooch wrote:
    And another condescending jwash post

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
    I wasn't being condescending I was just being facetious.

It's because you're trying to act like our wins don't count or they count less somehow because the other team had injuries or a certain guy wasn't in the game. Newsflash, we also have had injuries this year and most NBA games have at least one team missing a rotation player or two if not someone even more valuable.. It's the nature of an 82 game grind.

But it still matters, counts and is relevant that we won the game. Teams don't just roll over and die because someone on their team is out, they're out there to compete and get a W and you have to take care of business to make sure that they don't. That's why I made the 0-0 comment, because literally if I wanted to I could find an excuse for every single one of our wins and why we didn't deserve it or it shouldn't count

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
      I wasn't being condescending I was just being facetious.

It's because you're trying to act like our wins don't count or they count less somehow because the other team had injuries or a certain guy wasn't in the game. Newsflash, we also have had injuries this year and most NBA games have at least one team missing a rotation player or two if not someone even more valuable.. It's the nature of an 82 game grind.

But it still matters, counts and is relevant that we won the game. Teams don't just roll over and die because someone on their team is out, they're out there to compete and get a W and you have to take care of business to make sure that they don't. That's why I made the 0-0 comment, because literally if I wanted to I could find an excuse for every single one of our wins and why we didn't deserve it or it shouldn't count
      but you didnt do any of that, and instead posted of how a 13-7 record against winning teams is a barometer to how great this team is, as if to prove that "you were right all along"

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
        but you didnt do any of that, and instead posted of how a 13-7 record against winning teams is a barometer to how great this team is, as if to prove that "you were right all along"
        Everybody plays against everybody. It's not like bradley beal or the great Alan Anderson sat out against just us and then were back to full strength. 44 games is a sample size that says "this is who we are". As much as it pains you, the raptors are good and derozan is an all star.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Snooch wrote: View Post
          I wasn't saying it means our team is elite or anything like that just simply that were not just feeding on cupcake teams.. Our record against sub. 500 teams is 16-8, which is a only a slightly better win percentage at 67% vs. 65%. So we actually seem to be winning consistently across all sorts of different kind of teams. If anything we should be beating bad teams more.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Is it really a shock that a professional sports team wins some games they aren't expected to on paper, while also losing some games they aren't expected to? That's why regular seasons are played.

The only wins that matter are in the playoffs (I'd argue the only wins that really matter are the 4 needed in the finals, but baby steps).

Comment

And as a friendly reminder to all, please avoid personal attacks and disparaging posts. You can passionately disagree without being insulting or disrespectful.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                Is it really a shock that a professional sports team wins some games they aren't expected to on paper, while also losing some games they aren't expected to? That's why regular seasons are played.

The only wins that matter are in the playoffs
                (I'd argue the only wins that really matter are the 4 needed in the finals, but baby steps).
                I'm sorry but I just don't subscribe to this. Just because playoff wins matter more, doesn't mean that regular season wins don't.. that's a fallacy. Regular season wins and performance have a direct impact on matchups, seeding, chemistry, etc for the playoffs

I asked this question earlier, but I think you'd find that regular season wins do matter if we were 41-41 and set to play the Cavs in the first round vs. 54-28 (what we're on pace for atm) and set to play Boston or Orlando.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  The only wins that matter are in the playoffs (I'd argue the only wins that really matter are the 4 needed in the finals, but baby steps).
                  You realize that teams who haven't made the playoffs the past two years call BS on that concept, right? This is the most overused, cliched platitude ever by armchair GMs.

This team is an embarrassment of riches for long-suffering Raptors fans who have had to bear witness to the nonsense we've all seen from this franchise, from the front office to the coaching room to the locker room, for most of the past 20 years. I haven't been a regular on this forum for a long time, and I'm gobsmacked by the level of negativity in here these days. It's worse than the Bargnani years...

The fact is, this team is fighting for the top seed in the East at the All Star break. Fighting with the Cavs, Lebron's own Frankenstein monster. And doing it, in long stretches, without its starting SF and starting C. Lowry and Derozan are both playing out of their minds and show no signs of letting up, advanced stats be damned. The bench played for shite during most of the run that got us here, and now they're coming around. JV is back and his usage seems to be up. Carroll should be back healthy post-break. The worst part of the schedule is behind them.

OK, sure, Casey's offensive system is a work in progress. Then again, it's working well enough to get us to the 5th-best record in the league with a pretty bad road schedule. Sure, maybe Lowry will wear down like last year. Then again, he's in completely different shape this year and (hopefully) won't have to carry Derozan's load for 2 months this time. And yeah, Derozan is working at a rate that we've never seen, and surely THAT can't last. Except maybe it can.

All I'm saying is that, for the 1st time in a loooong time, all of these issues being debated like it's world peace? At least they're being discussed within the context of a team that's -- right now -- HIGHLY successful. That can't be a bad thing.
                  Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                    I'm sorry but I just don't subscribe to this. Just because playoff wins matter more, doesn't mean that regular season wins don't.. that's a fallacy. Regular season wins and performance have a direct impact on matchups, seeding, chemistry, etc for the playoffs

I asked this question earlier, but I think you'd find that regular season wins do matter if we were 41-41 and set to play the Cavs in the first round vs. 54-28 (what we're on pace for atm) and set to play Boston or Orlando.
                    I thought that was implied by my "that's why regular seasons are played" comment, related to the question of actual performance compared to expected performance heading into the season.

Regular season wins matter to get into the playoffs, but by the end of the season, they're essentially made meaningless, because playoffs (championships) are all that ultimately matter to players/coaches/management/franchises.

Comment

Maybe I'm greedy, but I don't want to be good, I want to be great. I don't want to win a round in the playoffs, I want to win the playoffs.

When Masai's era with the Raptors is over, if we can't say that we at least competed for a championship, it's a disappointment for me.
                      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
                        Maybe I'm greedy, but I don't want to be good, I want to be great. I don't want to win a round in the playoffs, I want to win the playoffs.

When Masai's era with the Raptors is over, if we can't say that we at least competed for a championship, it's a disappointment for me.
                        You crawl, then walk, then run. And if you ask me, we're walking pretty damn fast as of January 25, 2016.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          You crawl, then walk, then run. And if you ask me, we're walking pretty damn fast as of January 25, 2016.
                          And I'm happy with the growth, but I'm not satisfied yet. Satisfaction comes when a banner is raised.
                          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                            You realize that teams who haven't made the playoffs the past two years call BS on that concept, right? This is the most overused, cliched platitude ever by armchair GMs.

This team is an embarrassment of riches for long-suffering Raptors fans who have had to bear witness to the nonsense we've all seen from this franchise, from the front office to the coaching room to the locker room, for most of the past 20 years. I haven't been a regular on this forum for a long time, and I'm gobsmacked by the level of negativity in here these days. It's worse than the Bargnani years...

The fact is, this team is fighting for the top seed in the East at the All Star break. Fighting with the Cavs, Lebron's own Frankenstein monster. And doing it, in long stretches, without its starting SF and starting C. Lowry and Derozan are both playing out of their minds and show no signs of letting up, advanced stats be damned. The bench played for shite during most of the run that got us here, and now they're coming around. JV is back and his usage seems to be up. Carroll should be back healthy post-break. The worst part of the schedule is behind them.

OK, sure, Casey's offensive system is a work in progress. Then again, it's working well enough to get us to the 5th-best record in the league with a pretty bad road schedule. Sure, maybe Lowry will wear down like last year. Then again, he's in completely different shape this year and (hopefully) won't have to carry Derozan's load for 2 months this time. And yeah, Derozan is working at a rate that we've never seen, and surely THAT can't last. Except maybe it can.

All I'm saying is that, for the 1st time in a loooong time, all of these issues being debated like it's world peace? At least they're being discussed within the context of a team that's -- right now -- HIGHLY successful. That can't be a bad thing.
                            As a fan since day 1, I completely agree. The last three seasons have been a refreshing, and much needed change.

However, when we look back on these three seasons in even a few years from now, who really cares?

The playoff run and series against Brooklyn two years ago was epic, essentially altering the course of the franchise. It was awesome to live through. Even today, less than two years removed, it's nothing more than a first round exit. Considering that was followed by another, even more embarrassing, record-setting first round sweep, I would suggest that the 'new car smell' has long since faded.

Wins are great. Playoff appearances are fantastic. Ultimately, all that will ever be remembered is who won the championship that season. That's just the cold, hard truth. It doesn't diminish the team's accomplishments, nor does is undermine the progress that was made from season to season. All that was/is fun to witness as a long-suffering fan, but I can guarantee that from players to management, the championship is all that matters (just ask Casey and his ring) in the end.

Comment

Barolt wrote: View Post
                              And I'm happy with the growth, but I'm not satisfied yet. Satisfaction comes when a banner is raised.
                              Of course, but looking at our current progress right here today from the roster masai inherited, I don't think you could ask for much more. I'm excluding the playoff disappointment, speaking strictly in the vacuum that today's 29-15 raptors

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Everybody plays against everybody. It's not like bradley beal or the great Alan Anderson sat out against just us and then were back to full strength. 44 games is a sample size that says "this is who we are". As much as it pains you, the raptors are good and derozan is an all star.
                                the bold is nothing more than Baiting and has no basis in reality for anything I have ever posted.

Comment

Working...
                                X