Banks in the Rotation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banks in the Rotation

There are rumblings that Calderon or Jack may be traded this summer. If it happens and Banks isn't also traded, do you think he's capable to be the first PG off the bench? Everyone remember that this is a contract year for him.
    Yes
    41.67%
    No
    58.33%

The poll is expired.

I am not comfortable with Banks playing big minutes. Banks should be used as trading bait, nothing more. He is an expensive third string PG.

Comment

not sure who are the big free agents in 2011 (except Melo), but i think the NBA fire sale would end next season, meaning teams would be looking more into winning rather than gutting the team just to make room for salaries (i might be wrong).

I wouldnt mind banks as a backup. he played really good when jose went down, and i think banks knows where he stands. if you see him play, even garbage minutes, he doesnt sulk. he knows what his role is. he's a big, slightly quick guard who puts a body on the other guards, he plays sticky defense and all you need in a backup anyways is make sure he dribbles it down the court, make the sure pass and guard the other team's PG, sort of like maintaining the flow until the starting PG comes back. you usually use your backup to maintain, if youre using him to get an edge, then you know your team is in trouble. he can also play decoy PG while turk really plays the PG, this way, turk doesnt have to guard the opposing team's PG. Jose is definitely better than banks offensively but i think banks has better instinct on defense and thats what the raps need now.

like farmar and barea, both are backups to fisher and kidd, and they average 7pts, 1 reb, 1 ast. but their teams are doing good. because all they need to do is maintain the flow, avoid turnovers and give the ball to the scorers. banks can definitely do that, and since we're paying him that much, id rather see him play than sit knowing he is very much capable. why trade his contract if the raps can take advantage of his skills and his expiring contract?

2nd qtr - banks/turk/weems/bosh/dalembert - good D, good O.
      Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Wed Apr 21, 2010, 10:40 AM.

Comment

what he said ^^^^

Comment

Assuming Banks can repeat his play from this season (big "if") and assuming Hedo Turkoglu is playing alongside him ... yeah, I'm okay with Banks taking over the backup point guard spot.

I think the Raptors need a player of equal quality as their third string point guard as an insurance policy against Banks though.
          nbaroundtable

Comment

SitnonDfence wrote: View Post
            what he said ^^^^
            hahahaha. i love it when people agree with me.

Comment

I was more than happy and pleasantly surprised with Banks this season. Both on and off the court. Talk about a true professional. This guy could of whined, complained and pulled face but he showed up, stepped up when he needed to and didn't say peep to anyone. That alone I have alot of respect for Marcus.

On the court, he did a great job. Not an amazing one, but definitely great. Probably our best defending PG, but offensively definitely a 3rd stringer quality. Going into next season and "if" he can replicate this past season, I'd be more than comfortable with him either backing up Jack or Jose. So "yes",I think he can definitely be effective with the 2nd unit.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                Assuming Banks can repeat his play from this season (big "if") and assuming Hedo Turkoglu is playing alongside him ... yeah, I'm okay with Banks taking over the backup point guard spot.

I think the Raptors need a player of equal quality as their third string point guard as an insurance policy against Banks though.
                i dont think getting a 3rd string PG would be a problem, but id rather dwell on the thought of a wing and center rather than a 3rd string PG. we already have 3 PGs jack/jose, banks and turk. no need to pay for a 3rd PG when you already have 3 capable ones.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                  i dont think getting a 3rd string PG would be a problem, but id rather dwell on the thought of a wing and center rather than a 3rd string PG. we already have 3 PGs jack/jose, banks and turk. no need to pay for a 3rd PG when you already have 3 capable ones.
                  The Raptors could get a third string point guard for the minimum. Someone like Anthony Carter or Anthony Johnson or maybe Travis Diener or Royal Ivey or Acie Law. There will be a few good options available for a veteran's minimum contract.
                  nbaroundtable

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                    not sure who are the big free agents in 2011 (except Melo), but i think the NBA fire sale would end next season, meaning teams would be looking more into winning rather than gutting the team just to make room for salaries (i might be wrong).
                    Owners want a hard cap that is far lower than the current "soft cap" mark. If anything, teams will feel squeezed even more after the new CBA is agreed on. Teams are going to have to wait on some big contracts to run out unless the league slashes those contract and the PA agrees. I think expiring contracts will be even more valuable just after the new CBA starts.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
                      The Raptors could get a third string point guard for the minimum. Someone like Anthony Carter or Anthony Johnson or maybe Travis Diener or Royal Ivey or Acie Law. There will be a few good options available for a veteran's minimum contract.
                      Brevin Knight maybe? Not sure why he never landed anywhere this season.

Comment

i have to go with no. i'm just not feeling him in big minutes. if it was like 12 min. a night ya sure but 15-20 not sure.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                          i have to go with no. i'm just not feeling him in big minutes. if it was like 12 min. a night ya sure but 15-20 not sure.
                          Banks will be 29 next season.

In his career he has averaged over 20 mpg for an entire season only once and that was in 2005-06 when he averaged 31 mpg.

Also he hasn't played over 1,000 minutes in any one year since 2005-06

I would seriously question whether he could handle 15 -20 pg for 82 games give or take (playoffs next season)
                          Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                          Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

The way the question is worded the answer is NO. Banks can not carry the second unit. But he could be the point guard for the second unit if he is always playing next to Hedo. That would be a perfect fit because Banks doesn't have to run the offense by himself, and Hedo gets to handle the ball more.
                            I Am Shutup

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              Brevin Knight maybe? Not sure why he never landed anywhere this season.
                              I saw him in the announcers row doing Game 1 between Charlotte and Orlando. He may just retire if he likes doing that these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X