Game #51: Toronto Raptors @ Detroit Pistons - Feb. 8/16 7:30 PM EST on SN1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    Around the basket, JV is better than BB. BB is better overall, because he has the ability to defend competently further out to the perimeter, something JV really struggles with.
    From what I've seen, neither defend perimeter-oriented bigs well.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
      Around the basket, JV is better than BB. BB is better overall, because he has the ability to defend competently further out to the perimeter, something JV really struggles with.
      I find this very much not the case. Neither is a good perimeter defender (shocker).

Biyombo is a better help defender. But it's not really by very much. He just makes more athletic "spectacular" blocks while when JV blocks a shot its usually not so forceful.

Comment

• yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
        I agree.

But that Lowry + bench linup is just so surprisingly good. It's going to be key come playoffs when the starters are going to inevitably shit the bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        The starting unit is just obviously flawed, especially with the injuries. Lowry, DeMar and JV luckily all command a lot of attention and all are capable of scoring a nice amount on any given night.

Scola just doesn't fit. He makes heady plays, but yeah, it's just not working, and it's worse with Powell thrust in there. He plays with heart but he's still too far from ready.

---

I've been vocal against chasing Harris, but to me he's the most intriguing name to come up so far. Could he be a could match at PF, even when Carroll gets back? We could play 4-out with the starting lineup that way, a type of lineup that worked really well earlier on in the season when Carroll was healthy, but with even better size. But what would he cost? Who would we have left? Should we still be worried about Harris' injury-proneness?

I don't know if I want it to happen, or what I'd be willing to give up, but definitely more intriguing than Young, Morris, Anderson, and whatever names I've heard thrown out there.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I've been vocal against chasing Harris, but to me he's the most intriguing name to come up so far. Could he be a could match at PF, even when Carroll gets back? We could play 4-out with the starting lineup that way, a type of lineup that worked really well earlier on in the season when Carroll was healthy, but with even better size. But what would he cost? Who would we have left? Should we still be worried about Harris' injury-proneness?

I don't know if I want it to happen, or what I'd be willing to give up, but definitely more intriguing than Young, Morris, Anderson, and whatever names I've heard thrown out there.
          I think there's an argument to be made it might work. Harris only shoots 15% of his shots between 10ft and 23ft, where DeMar shoots 46% of his shots in that space.

The Magic have toyed with it with limited success as far as I know, but I think there are bigger issues at play, namely the lack of shooting/spacing in the backcourt.

I just think that although his ceiling might be higher, a natural PF with the right skill set would be a better target. After Rudy I don't have confidence in Casey turning a SF into a PF.

Comment

• in hindsight our pf should be portis. 2pat and portis.

now i am hoping for ellington in the draft if we miss out on murray

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
              I think there's an argument to be made it might work. Harris only shoots 15% of his shots between 10ft and 23ft, where DeMar shoots 46% of his shots in that space.

The Magic have toyed with it with limited success as far as I know, but I think there are bigger issues at play, namely the lack of shooting/spacing in the backcourt.

I just think that although his ceiling might be higher, a natural PF with the right skill set would be a better target. After Rudy I don't have confidence in Casey turning a SF into a PF.
              I've never been convinced Harris is a SF. The problem is he is a tweener though, and doesn't feel that natural at PF. That's why I've always been skeptical about going after him. He's not quite as naturally lanky as a guy like Rudy or even Paul George, though. And he's actually not the quickest on his feet laterally, so I think in the end PF is the best spot to put him.

I think a PF with the right skill set would be the better target too, but that's not happening on the trade market unless Horford, Ibaka or Bosh become available. Might have an outside shot at Horford in free agency, so that's an issue here. Still though, hard to not be intrigued, at least enough to wonder what it would cost to get Harris.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Feb 9, 2016, 12:06 AM.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                in hindsight our pf should be portis. 2pat and portis.

now i am hoping for ellington in the draft if we miss out on murray
                Yeah I really wanted Portis...ah well.

Comment

• Harris is probably better at PF than SF.

Comment

• harris needs to add some weight/str to be consistent at the 4, to me. i think he could do it. weird there are 2 teams in a reverse tank right now in boston and orlando. two young teams looking to add vets. makes our picks less valuable

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                      Harris is probably better at PF than SF.
                      I agree, with probably really being the key word here.

And he might be talented enough that it's one of those deals it might be ok to take a chance on, especially if Masai doesn't think he has a shot or doesn't plan on pursuing Al Horford this summer.

*It's not easy to think of a deal we could do though. We're not the best trading partner for them.
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Feb 9, 2016, 12:28 AM.

Comment

• JWash wrote: View Post
                        Harris is probably better at PF than SF.
                        white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        I agree, with probably really being the key word here.

isn't this just the classic tweener problem though. players who are ok/good at a couple positions but not really a fit for either. you always always always end up running into the teams that just negates them. the way we have our 4s play the line and harris's foot speed lets me want to believe he could work beside jv. but it is a big gamble and it is going to cost

Comment

• Watched the Pistons feed tonight. Great, objective commentary. They were real big fans of what the Raptors were doing out there.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                            isn't this just the classic tweener problem though. players who are ok/good at a couple positions but not really a fit for either. you always always always end up running into the teams that just negates them. the way we have our 4s play the line and harris's foot speed lets me want to believe he could work beside jv. but it is a big gamble and it is going to cost
                            That's why I've always been so skeptical about going after him in the past, especially as a SF. Tweener's are tricky. The problem is they're either great defensive players or horrible liabilities a lot of the time. They either end up really versatile, or always at some disadvantage.
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Feb 9, 2016, 12:54 AM.

Comment

• CNinja26 wrote: View Post
                              Watched the Pistons feed tonight. Great, objective commentary. They were real big fans of what the Raptors were doing out there.
                              Raptors had a nice game. Lots of guys played well. They played pretty well as a team. Contained Drummond and the p'n'r gamepretty well. Got a lot of good shots and decent ball movement, especially after the sloppy start.

Only guy who had a rough night was Biyombo...and he still got 20 minutes. And before people come in to defend him, Aron Baynes had 5 offensive rebounds tonight (out of Detroit's 11, of which Drummond only had 3). Biyombo had a bad game. Baynes basically obliterated him in their matchup.

Comment

• To add; because he's essentially a "tweener", most of Harris' value comes from his versatility.. He's not amazing at SF or PF. He's just above average in both areas. Putting him at either spot "long term" is pointless.

Comment

Working...
                                X