Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would The Raptors Be Better If Bargnani Came In Off The Bench?

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

The Raptors would be much better with Bargnani coming off the bench.

For the other team.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no he didn't!

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are the unknowns:
    Bosh, Amir, Weems staying
    Which PG will be traded

Here are the knowns:
    Bargs, Hedo, Triano are not going anywhere

BC said this himself, so lets not waste the forum space by putting different scenarios in play because this is what it is.

Do i sound bitter?? hehehe Mah bad.

If Bosh stays, then expect another bad season. Because we wont have any money left to sign another All-star player. Trades? we dont have potential all star caliber players who can be trade baits. Expiring contracts? Maybe. But unless we find a team dysfunctional enough to accept our 4th tier players for their 2nd to 3rd tier players then well and good, but i doubt it.

Bargs, eventhough some of you might not admit it, has a lot of upside. He's a 7 footer who can slash, take the 3 and block shots. He may not rebound that much but at least he's good for 3-4 a night. That why Bosh thrives playing against him, but not so much the other way around. When Bargs floats around the 3 pt line, he pulls the opposing center away from the basket, and Bosh starts making his living. If you put Bargs alongside a dominant center, he could and the keyword is could, be better than Bosh. He can basically do whatever he wants. He can shoot the 3, slash, stop and pop. He'll run rings around the opposing PF. Even if you put an SF on him, it would take too much out of that SF to guard him. Why has Dirk been so successful? coz Dampier doesnt do anything but rebound and intimidate. That takes it off of Dirk. And he plays mostly on the perimeter so he can easily get the rebound on missed shots. But Bargs, he cant really do that coz Bosh is always on the perimeter.

Raptors Republic Veteran Buddahfan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    LOL, it wouldn't be the first time that happened. Greg Oden looks like he's about to hit his midlife crisis.
    +1

Ah so true, but looks are in the eye of the beholder and what you may see as as an oft injured middle aged looking guy out there on the court, his opponents see as a defensive monster who will defend the basket like its his own personal property.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    +1

Ah so true, but looks are in the eye of the beholder and what you may see as as an oft injured middle aged looking guy out there on the court, his opponents see as a defensive monster who will defend the basket like its his own personal property.
    Yeah but he's too injury prone. Time and time again we've seen these big men fall to injuries. Walton, Unseld, Shaq, Yao and now Oden. Its a fact and history proves it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote tbihis wrote: View Post
    Yeah but he's too injury prone. Time and time again we've seen these big men fall to injuries. Walton, Unseld, Shaq, Yao and now Oden. Its a fact and history proves it.
    You are probably right. I do feel bad for him because he is such a great talent.

On the other and everyone thought that McDyess and G. Hill's careers were done due to injuries.

Its amazing what the right doctors can accomplish today in extending and resurrecting athletes professional careers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    +1

That would be great if he didn't have the legs of a motorcycle crash victim.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be great if he didn't have the legs of a motorcycle crash victim.
    How about a snowmobile crash victim? I can relate from personal experience and 7 operations afterward. My snowmobile lost the battle with the tree and got tangled up in the middle of whole mess. Oh well, all is not bad, at least I didn't pull a Sonny Bono.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

SURE, YOU ARE SO DAMN SMART YOU ALL
    bargs is our 2nd best player so yes all intelligent people would bench him
    if bosh is gone he's our best player , so yes you clearly bench him so you confuse the opposing coach and have nobody that can create his own shot , or I'm wrong give jose and hedo the ball let them go 1 on 1 create mismatches and let them shoot those contested jumpers that brought so much success to this team .
    he 's superman that picks up all the wingplayers who should be guarded by the wing players and pg and he should really no rotate toward the top of the paint so he never guards the penetration .
    so when he switches and takes on the wing or the guard he is always in the correct position to block out .
    this has clearly nothing to do with horrendous coaching , no system , constantly switching approaches , and our godlike defensive mastermind HAIL THE KING IVARONI .

ZING ZING ZING
    Last edited by MaGIX; Wed Apr 21st, 2010 at 06:05 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, I'm not even sure if Pritchard does an Oden for Durant swap, the guy feels about his whole team how BC feels about Bargs. On second thought both gm's probably reject the trade....does that mean its a good one?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors biggest problem wasn't Andrea or CB4, but the wing players+PG.
    Raptors got from Andrea and CB4 about 41.2 PPG / 17 RPG / 2.4 BPG.
    Only if Raptors would have some more production from Hedo and other wings + some solid PG defense.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Hedo was the biggest problem in the starting five in terms of what was expected and what actually was provided.

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote insight_tor wrote: View Post
    Raptors biggest problem wasn't Andrea or CB4, but the wing players+PG.
    Raptors got from Andrea and CB4 about 41.2 PPG / 17 RPG / 2.4 BPG.
    Only if Raptors would have some more production from Hedo and other wings + some solid PG defense.
    Actually, the combination of the atrocious team defense Bargnani played, including keeping his man off the boards AND the lack of consistent production from the wings was the biggest problem. When your center doesn't understand basic defensive rotations, that's going to absolutely kill your defense.

Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani it going to hit 20PPG next season. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Post Thanks / Like

That doesn’t necessarily mean trading for a starting power forward or a big – I think they wouldn’t have an issue starting Bargnani next to Amir Johnson next year and I believe they are confident they can get Amir back – but the last thing the GM should do is wait around on Bosh before doing anything
    http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...on-coming.html

Now if according to Smith the Raptors would be comfortable starting Johnson along with Bargnani, I would think all the more so that they would be comfortable starting Johnson along with Bosh.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TIm W. wrote: View Post
    Actually, the combination of the atrocious team defense Bargnani played, including keeping his man off the boards AND the lack of consistent production from the wings was the biggest problem. When your center doesn't understand basic defensive rotations, that's going to absolutely kill your defense.
    Tim, while I do agree that Bargnani needs to improve the team defense, I wouldn't call it "atrocious". What do you expect when the defense at 1,2,3 are revolving doors and CB4 is not exactly the best defender in league ( CB4 trying to avoid foul trouble)?
    Even though Bargnani doesn't have big numbers for defense, last season Raptors had quite few winnings when Bargnani was the one with huge defensive plays in crunch time: block or/and rebound, and something that doesn't show on statistics, altering the jumpers. Bargnani biggest issue is inconsistency, not lack of skills.

Post Thanks / Like

Bargnani it going to hit 20PPG next season. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    I think that is probably a reasonable prediction especially given that there is a good chance that CB4 will be gone.

The question then is how many points will the Raptors defense give up because Baranani fails to make the proper play on the defensive end?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he's going to give up 20PPG on a nightly basis. There aren't enough big time scorers at the 5 for that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think he's going to give up 20PPG on a nightly basis. There aren't enough big time scorers at the 5 for that.
    +1

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote insight_tor wrote: View Post
    Tim, while I do agree that Bargnani needs to improve the team defense, I wouldn't call it "atrocious". What do you expect when the defense at 1,2,3 are revolving doors and CB4 is not exactly the best defender in league ( CB4 trying to avoid foul trouble)?
    Even though Bargnani doesn't have big numbers for defense, last season Raptors had quite few winnings when Bargnani was the one with huge defensive plays in crunch time: block or/and rebound, and something that doesn't show on statistics, altering the jumpers. Bargnani biggest issue is inconsistency, not lack of skills.
    Oh, I'd definitely call Bargnani's team defense atrocious. And I'm not even looking at statistics (which also back me up). Watch Bargnani on defense. He is clueless. He has no idea when to rotate, he turns his back on the ball and allows his man to grab far too many rebounds. The thing that bugs me is that once in a while he'll get a big block, or something, and his backers will point to it as proof he's a good defender. He's not. What they don't seem to notice is the far more numerous times he doesn't rotate when he's supposed to and allows an opponent to get to the basket.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information