Looking Back at Smitch & Triano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Back at Smitch & Triano

OK, not looking to start another discussion on who will eventually be the next head coach of the Raptors or anything like that, but more about coaching philosophies.

I have always been skeptical of Colangelo's decision in firing Sam and replacing him with his assistant in Triano, but I'm just curious to know what you guys think on how exactly was it going to change the coaching philosophies of this team moving forward.

It appears to be nothing really has changed all that much. We still depend on the three point shot (excluding Bosh this season), we're still horribly porous on defence, we tend to shy away from the physical game and intensity and emotion still continues to lack. Unless you count Jose's waving of this arms to pump up the crowd. There are some other I guess idiosyncrasies if I can call them that, which are very much still instilled with this team too.

At the time do you not think moving forward that the best idea for this organization was to clean house and terminate the entire staff instead of just releasing the leader at the time? Or, do some of you think BC still made the right decision looking back now?

He should've fired Mitchell and replaced him with someone that knows a thing or 2 about defense. How is it that Iavoroni is the defense co-ordinator when he has absolutely nothing in his resume to back up such a title? What's next? Bringing in Iverson to be the glue guy??

Should've hired Messina when he had the chance. Now its likely that he'll be the coach of the Nets thanks to their new owner.

Comment

You can't blame the coaches without placing the blame on the players as well as the the GM.

This is a team that Colangelo constructed with a flawed roster. We have too many players that can do one thing really good but can't do other things really good. As a result when another superior team figures out how to stop the Raptors, the Raptors end up abandoning their set plays and going back to simpler things like passing it to Bosh or attempting selfish jumpshots to pad their stats.

Comment

Colangelo should have fired Mitchell in the off-season.
        Either before or after last season.

Colangelo wants his staff to work to a consensus but sometimes the Boss has to take a stand and TELL his employee how its going to be! It doesn't matter about "feelings" or interfering in the coaches job.

The JO trade was driven by Mitchell's desire for a traditional center. But Colangelo wanted his No. 1 pick to play. The compromise was a disaster!

If your employee won't do it the way you want - you move on to the next employee. You don't "try" to make it work.
        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
        X