Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will be THE move for us to be true contenders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sign and trade DeRozan to the Lakers for D'angelo "the snitch" Russell. Then trade Kyle Lowry to either Philly for Okafor OR trade him to the Lakers for their pick in this years draft and pick Simmons or Ingram.

Let it simmer and in a couple years we will have a championship

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
      Hard to call a team a contender based on regular season results, as we saw from the Hawks last year (and us, frankly). Teams that have playoff success consistently will always be viewed as contenders.
      Would you have considered the Golden State Warriors a contender at the end of the regular season last year?

At that time, they'd won 47 games the previous year and lost in the conference semifinals. Then they won 51 games and lost in the first round. Then they won 67. At that point in time, what would you call them?

Not calling us the next Warriors, but just trying to prove a point. Consistent playoff success will always be viewed as contenders, but inconsistent playoff success can also be called contenders, if you have the right players. The only difference between the Raptors right now and the Warriors at the end of the regular season last year was 1 playoff series won. Right? That and about 10 more regular season wins.
      Last edited by ebrian; Fri Apr 8, 2016, 04:32 PM.
      your pal,
      ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
        Would you have considered the Golden State Warriors a contender at the end of the regular season last year?

At that time, they'd won 47 games the previous year and lost in the conference semifinals. Then they won 51 games and lost in the first round. Then they won 67. At that point in time, what would you call them?

Not calling us the next Warriors, but just trying to prove a point. Consistent playoff success will always be viewed as contenders, but inconsistent playoff success can also be called contenders, if you have the right players. The only difference between the Raptors right now and the Warriors at the end of the regular season last year was 1 playoff series won. Right? That and about 10 more regular season wins.
        Well considering that those previous inconsistent playoff experiences were with a poot coach and a young, oft injured Curry I dont know if they apply to the 67!! win 2014/2015 Warriors under Kerr.

They werent contenders (just like we arent)...until we make some changes. Most notable Casey (and most controvercially DD)

Comment

In my opinion GSW weren't contenders until they got to the WCF last year.. they proved they can win in the playoffs (and confirmed it further by winning it all). When the regular season ended they weren't contenders yet. I'd just call them a good regular season team.. just like Denver was when Masai was managing them.

Comment

Hmm.. so it's more about winning playoff games then, than qualifying for playoffs or doing well in the regular season. I guess that makes sense.

So.. how many playoff series would the Raptors need to win this year to be called a contender? Would we have to reach the Finals like the Cavaliers, since that's all they've done so far?
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
              Hmm.. so it's more about winning playoff games then, than qualifying for playoffs or doing well in the regular season. I guess that makes sense.

So.. how many playoff series would the Raptors need to win this year to be called a contender? Would we have to reach the Finals like the Cavaliers, since that's all they've done so far?
              Personally I think they'd have to reach the ECF at least. So two series wins.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                Personally I think they'd have to reach the ECF at least. So two series wins.
                So, there's like, ONE contending team in the league right now? Seems like SAS might be the only team that qualifies.

I would suggest the a team is only "contending" a year at a time. Contending meaning "to have a reasonable chance at winning the championship". A team that contends year after year is a dynasty, not a "contender".

The Raptors are contenders right now.
                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post
                  So, there's like, ONE contending team in the league right now? Seems like SAS might be the only team that qualifies.

I would suggest the a team is only "contending" a year at a time. Contending meaning "to have a reasonable chance at winning the championship". A team that contends year after year is a dynasty, not a "contender".

If we're going by your definition than 16 teams will be contenders.. and that doesn't seem accurate.

I think it takes regular season success as well as past playoff success with the same core.

The Raptors have not proven that they can win in the playoffs. And it takes time to become a contender.. one regular season does not prove anything. GSW couldn't prove that they were contenders until they got to the WCF last year. Spurs have been there before, as have the Cavs. That's three contenders. I'd throw in OKC and Atlanta in to the mix since they've both been to the conference finals as well and both have had solid regular seasons this year. So by my count that's 5 teams: GSW, Spurs, Cavs, OKC, Atlanta

LAC and Toronto are very similar. However LAC has actually won a round so they are closer (but not yet contenders). If Houston was actually any good this year than they would have been considered contenders too since they got to the WCF last year.

Out East Miami is probably the next closest contender after Atlanta, but that team is radically different with Lebron gone, who was the only real reason why they were in the finals 4 years in a row.

Comment

jimmie wrote: View Post

Aren't dynasties considered teams with multiple rings already...and have the same group together that won them?

Comment

Persio wrote: View Post
                      Sign and trade DeRozan to the Lakers for D'angelo "the snitch" Russell. Then trade Kyle Lowry to either Philly for Okafor OR trade him to the Lakers for their pick in this years draft and pick Simmons or Ingram.

Let it simmer and in a couple years we will have a championship
                      You're not serious are you? You yourself call him the snitch and Okafor is the shit talking sucker punching drunk and you wanna trade our 2 High character all stars who have embraced canada for these punks
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                      X