Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raps TV Ratings - "Still struggling" or Finally competing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rocwell wrote: View Post
    Why? It's really good numbers IMO.. considering our entire population(35-36M) is less than that of California.
    Yes but compared with other sports its pretty low in canada but heat vs raptors been averaging 2 -3 million viewers in the states a country of 300 million ppl so comparing with that we are doing great

Comment

GorapsGO123 wrote: View Post
      yes and the ppl you know make up for the rest of toronto? this thing about basketball is growing is just a myth because they are doing good...just wait till the raptors have a bad season, ppl will forget that raptors existed...a couple years back raptors attendence wasent that good either and dont forget the fact that leafs had to bail out the raptors few years back...
      im 23 and belong to immigrant parents and all the brown kids i know are into NHL and NFL...they only follow ball when the raptors are doing good and only some of them follow...its not that easy to change a strong sports culture watch when the leafs make the playoffs this city and country would go crazy...

and do you have any sources for the stanley cup finals getting less ratings?? Last time i checked the NBA is getting 2-3 million viewers for playoff games on national broadcast and NBA finals getting 13-18 million viewers range...Thats not a lot considering its a country of 300 million + people...The NHL finals in the states gets in 5-10 million viewers range and they dont even have a proper TV contract...
      so plz dont shoot from your ass
      what kind of absolute bullshit is this? you also said "at most under 1000 people streaming raptors games" lol what???? based on what???

you need proof that basketball is growing in canada? there are TONS of stats out there saying so. heres just one:

http://business.financialpost.com/ex...-only-one-team

Since 2008, the National Basketball Association‘s (NBA) revenue has grown 224% in Canada — one-third of which can be attributed to new Canadians who come from basketball-loving nations in Asia, and two-thirds of which have been drawn in by the NBA’s marketing strategy
      We saw some data recently that showed basketball participation between 2010 and 2012 jumped 16%, which is a faster growth rate than both soccer and hockey.

Comment

And that's why ESPN loved that Heat vs Cavs matchup

Comment

That is averaged out over the entire game though, and the game was over at halftime. I bet a bunch of people shut off their TV sets sometime in the second quarter.

Comparatively, Game 1 of Hawks-Cavs was tied at halftime last year.
          That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

It's inevitable, you lose the local audience for one team. That's why US channels hate any Canadian team on primetime, you instantly lose half your audience.

Comment

If Toronto had a Superstar..equivalent of Lebron..ie Kevin Durant,it would b a different story.
              This is the problem with T.O players,here they are regarded as superstars,but they are just good players..ie Kyle Lowry,good player,all star,same with Demar. Raptors don't have Superstar. Superstars win championships,period,Lebron,Kobe,Tim Duncan and hopefully soon Kevin Durrant.

P.S

Honestly I really don't want KD 2 win,just the fact that...maybe,just maybe he hit's free agency and might c raps as a team 2 sign with,but I'm probably just dreaming,fact is..it will never happen..so let him win with OKC..
              Cheers..
              "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
              My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

ogi wrote: View Post
                And a lot of people were watching on ABC as well
                Numbers are in 200,000 in fact. That's a regular season amount of smart Canadians avoiding the Jack/Leo clusterfuck myself included.

Comment

I'm sure the one-sidedness of it all, has something to do with it too. If the Raps were able to keep the game close, might be worth tuning in for 48 minutes.

I turned both games off in the 2nd half. I'm debating not even watching game 3.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I'm sure the one-sidedness of it all, has something to do with it too. If the Raps were able to keep the game close, might be worth tuning in for 48 minutes.

I turned both games off in the 2nd half. I'm debating not even watching game 3.
                    Don't do it! I'm still hoping against hope they show up for the ACC games.

Even if it's two more blowouts and a sweep, I hope game 4 ends with a standing O. It's been a great year.
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Don't do it! I'm still hoping against hope they show up for the ACC games.

Even if it's two more blowouts and a sweep, I hope game 4 ends with a standing O. It's been a great year.
                      Who am I kidding. I'm totally going to watch.

It's like a multi-car pileup. You just can't look away from the disaster.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        what kind of absolute bullshit is this? you also said "at most under 1000 people streaming raptors games" lol what???? based on what???

you need proof that basketball is growing in canada? there are TONS of stats out there saying so. heres just one:

http://business.financialpost.com/ex...-only-one-team
                        Well how many ppl do you think are streaming raptors games than? a million? or 2 million? hey it could be even 20 million u never know right? keep living on think false hope...

and LOL at the proof of basketball growing, theres a million more articles like that for soccer which has been publishing for the last 100 years saying "soccer is growing" and yet nothing happens not only that theres also a good amount on cricket as well...

Comment

GorapsGO123 wrote: View Post
                          yes and the ppl you know make up for the rest of toronto? this thing about basketball is growing is just a myth because they are doing good...just wait till the raptors have a bad season, ppl will forget that raptors existed...a couple years back raptors attendence wasent that good either and dont forget the fact that leafs had to bail out the raptors few years back...
                          im 23 and belong to immigrant parents and all the brown kids i know are into NHL and NFL...they only follow ball when the raptors are doing good and only some of them follow...its not that easy to change a strong sports culture watch when the leafs make the playoffs this city and country would go crazy...

and do you have any sources for the stanley cup finals getting less ratings?? Last time i checked the NBA is getting 2-3 million viewers for playoff games on national broadcast and NBA finals getting 13-18 million viewers range...Thats not a lot considering its a country of 300 million + people...The NHL finals in the states gets in 5-10 million viewers range and they dont even have a proper TV contract...
                          so plz dont shoot from your ass
                          Dude you dont know what your talking about. "Basketball is growing" is a myth? How do you explain the amount of canadian players being drafted these days? That can only happen because the pool of kids playing has grown like crazy.

"just wait till the raptors have a bad season, ppl will forget that raptors existed" lol thats a joke right? wait til the raptors have a bad season? Are you sure you werent born three years ago? For the most part the raptors have been one of the worst teams in the nba but have always had about 6-12th best attendance.

The Leafs never had to bail them out raptors never ever had financial difficulty the leafs bought them because they knew theyd grow and they didnt want to compete with another pro sport in the winter. The Leafs also bought them because they played hardball with the raptors when the raptors bought the land for the ACC. The raptors asked the leafs to share the ACC but leafs didnt want to. The leafs had a idiotic plan to build an arena behind the eaton center where best buy and the marriot hotel now sit. When they realized it wouldnt work they bought the raptors and the ACC which was almost completed by then. The leafs also changed the ACC arena plan by wiping out a few thousand cheap seats to make way for more expensive box seats (that pissed me off)

NHL in Toronto has lost its shine. Because less kids play the sport theres less Canadians playing. As mentioned hockey takes a lot of money and time. The goonism culture also decreased interest for parents. There were minor league incidents about twenty years ago where kids were having life threatening injuries because of the violence. Hockey parents were also acting like idiots and fighting that made a lot of headlines. Sure leaf fans "will go crazy" if they won the cup. Its the hockey capital of the world and they have been the laughing stock of the league for most of the past 50 dang years.

Re hockey in the US this is from 2 years ago and its not much different now.

"Meanwhile, the only NHL game to even register among the top-viewed cable programming was Saturday’s double-overtime thriller between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Pittsburgh Penguins. The game’s ratings numbers – a 0.3 rating with 850,000 viewers – rank it just behind an afternoon SpongeBob SquarePants episode and a late-night Full House rerun."

Comment

Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                            Dude you dont know what your talking about. "Basketball is growing" is a myth? How do you explain the amount of canadian players being drafted these days? That can only happen because the pool of kids playing has grown like crazy.

"just wait till the raptors have a bad season, ppl will forget that raptors existed" lol thats a joke right? wait til the raptors have a bad season? Are you sure you werent born three years ago? For the most part the raptors have been one of the worst teams in the nba but have always had about 6-12th best attendance.

The Leafs never had to bail them out raptors never ever had financial difficulty the leafs bought them because they knew theyd grow and they didnt want to compete with another pro sport in the winter. The Leafs also bought them because they played hardball with the raptors when the raptors bought the land for the ACC. The raptors asked the leafs to share the ACC but leafs didnt want to. The leafs had a idiotic plan to build an arena behind the eaton center where best buy and the marriot hotel now sit. When they realized it wouldnt work they bought the raptors and the ACC which was almost completed by then. The leafs also changed the ACC arena plan by wiping out a few thousand cheap seats to make way for more expensive box seats (that pissed me off)

NHL in Toronto has lost its shine. Because less kids play the sport theres less Canadians playing. As mentioned hockey takes a lot of money and time. The goonism culture also decreased interest for parents. There were minor league incidents about twenty years ago where kids were having life threatening injuries because of the violence. Hockey parents were also acting like idiots and fighting that made a lot of headlines. Sure leaf fans "will go crazy" if they won the cup. Its the hockey capital of the world and they have been the laughing stock of the league for most of the past 50 dang years.

Re hockey in the US this is from 2 years ago and its not much different now.

"Meanwhile, the only NHL game to even register among the top-viewed cable programming was Saturday’s double-overtime thriller between the Columbus Blue Jackets and Pittsburgh Penguins. The game’s ratings numbers – a 0.3 rating with 850,000 viewers – rank it just behind an afternoon SpongeBob SquarePants episode and a late-night Full House rerun."
                            dude dont get me wrong i love both sports but hate when ppl have to put down hockey just to feel good about basketball...if u think no one is playing hockey in the GTA, you need to go out more...ppl like you tend to label hockey as a expensive sport which it is no doubt but who says u HAVE to play ice hockey to enjoy hockey? there are ball hockey leagues across brampton and mississauga and 90% of the ppl you see playing are miniroties mainly indian decent...basketball is growing no doubt but so is soccer, cricket, UFC....

You also probably forgot after the VC years when the raptors were struggling in every aspect and leafs season ticket holders were forced to buy raptors season tickets along with leafs...you also probably forgot in 2012 raptors season opener averages 60,000 viewers...
                            Raptors are doing great now but i fear as soon as they miss the playoffs its over whereas no matter how the leafs do there fan base and TV numbers just keep growing year by year, i actually never seen a more stupid fan base than leafs in any other sport...

and about the NHL US TV ratings any one can cherry pick those number like that...i could show u nuff numbers like that for the NBA...and its not like NBA is doing wonders in the US, NBA is not even on the map when compared to NFL...a pre season NFL game murders any NBA finals game and thats after the NBA has been "growing" in the US for the past 50 years LOL

Comment

Raptor Jesus wrote: View Post
                              Numbers are in 200,000 in fact. That's a regular season amount of smart Canadians avoiding the Jack/Leo clusterfuck myself included.
                              frankly I have NBA tv and I watch or rewatch the games on both telecasts to see how the team is perceived. I watch enough ball I have my favorite broadcast teams and frankly there are far worse ones in the league than ours.

Comment

Are we entirely sure that ESPN is counting/not the Canadian viewing audience on the espn feed shown on Canadian channels? Maybe not. While the cable companies here would pay for the feed they would not be showing ESPN ads. Apart from this being a revenue loss to ESPN there may also be "rules" about how to count viewing audience....ad rates are determined by such numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X