Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could this Raptor team beat the Vince Carter's Second Round team ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could this Raptor team beat the Vince Carter's Second Round team ?

This Toronto Team keeps accomplishing a lot of 1st's but I ask myself is it nostalgia that I think Vince's team would beat this present team ..

yes

Comment

Hard to say.

Vince would've been the best player on either team.

The game was played a lot tougher back then too. Oakley would be called for a flagrant foul every game with today's refs.

It would probably be a fun series to watch (because I'd be happy with either team winning )

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        Hard to say.

Vince would've been the best player on either team.

The game was played a lot tougher back then too. Oakley would be called for a flagrant foul every game with today's refs.

It would probably be a fun series to watch (because I'd be happy with either team winning )
        this is a good point but in the end only one of the two teams has a quitter. so i have to give these raps the edge.

Comment

These Raps would win.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I go with Vince's team, in 5 or 6 games.

Nobody on this team could contain VC, especially with him getting far more ticky-tack calls than he did back then.

Alvin, Vince, Childs, Peterson and JYD would be able to shut-down the guards/wings.

JV & Biyombo would be in tough against Davis, Oakley and Keon Clark, who had both talent and 'vet savvy'.

When the current team used their scramble defense to try and contain VC, Dell Curry would bury them from the 3pt line, especially if that 2000-2001 team had today's analytics to further fuel their attack.

Comment

No... if you look at that series.. VC was the best player and everyone else was doing almost nothing. I do not think they could beat this team.

Comment

Different eras. It's really tough to say. That Raptors team had a much tougher interior than anything these guys have faced. It would come down to Vince. We all know how he used to take over the second half and we all know how his play was affected by rough stuff.

Comment

I assume DD would be throwing up bricks in at least 3/4 games of the series.. so Lowry would have to play out of his mind to compete with VC.

Curry and Mo Pete can shoot but 2Pat, Ross and Carroll can as well, so a bit of a wash. This team is much better defensively as well. That team had a lot of big players (Willis, Oakley, Davis, Keon) and that negates what JV or BB can do (although JV would still be the best center).

But with DD playing like he has for the most part, I can't see this team recovering. The 00-01 team wins it in 6.

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                    No... if you look at that series.. VC was the best player and everyone else was doing almost nothing. I do not think they could beat this team.
                    This is the correct answer. I loved that team but the quality of talent on it was way inferior to this one once you get past Vince. Yes, Vince would be the best player on the court, but they'd have a hard time doing anything beyond what he does.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                      I assume DD would be throwing up bricks in at least 3/4 games of the series.. so Lowry would have to play out of his mind to compete with VC.

Curry and Mo Pete can shoot but 2Pat, Ross and Carroll can as well, so a bit of a wash. This team is much better defensively as well. That team had a lot of big players (Willis, Oakley, Davis, Keon) and that negates what JV or BB can do (although JV would still be the best center).

But with DD playing like he has for the most part, I can't see this team recovering. The 00-01 team wins it in 6.
                      Don't forget that Alvin was a strong defender and a lot longer than Lowry. He might give Lowry problems.

You're forgetting that they had Dell Curry coming off the bench. Remember how much trouble 2016 Toronto had keeping a guy on the shooter in the corner in round one. Dell would be on with the second unit.

Comment

mjt20mik wrote: View Post
                        I wouldn't call Antonio Davis who avg 16 pts and 11 reb in the playoffs as doing "almost nothing".

Statistically wise playoffs VC equals playoffs Paul George and the way Indiana is build is similar too ( minus an efficient rebounder/scorer in Antonio Davis)

I venture to say VC Raptors team could take this current Raptors team to game 7 but this Raptors team will probably win in a very ugly fashion.

Comment

No
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

WOW that would be a great hypothetical series

HC: Wilkens vs Casey- Lenny

PG: Alvin vs Lowry- Lowry
                            SG: MoPete vs Derozan- Derozan
                            SF: Carter vs Carroll- Carter
                            PF: Oakley vs Patterson- Oak
                            C: Davis vs JV- Even?

Bench:
                            Chris Childs, Dell Curry, JYD, Keon Clark vs Ross, Biyombo, CoJo, Powell, Scola- 00-01' bench is stronger.

I think the 00-01 Raptors win in 6 just cause Vince was a true NBA Top 5 superstar, the HOF coach & stronger bench talent. '15-16 Raps have the only real advantage in the backcourt.
                            Last edited by RepTdot; Thu May 12, 2016, 06:17 PM.

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
                              WOW that would be a great hypothetical series

HC: Wilkens vs Casey- Lenny

PG: Alvin vs Lowry- Lowry
                              SG: Childs vs Derozan- Derozan
                              SF: Carter vs Carroll- Carter
                              PF: Oakley vs Patterson- Oak
                              C: Davis vs JV- Even?

Bench:
                              MoPete, Dell Curry, JYD, Keon Clark vs Ross, Biyombo, CoJo, Powell, Scola- 00-01' bench is stronger.

I think the 00-01 Raptors win in 6 just cause Vince was a true NBA Top 5 superstar, the HOF coach & stronger bench talent. '15-16 Raps have the only real advantage in the backcourt.
                              Childs was Alvin's backup. MoPete was our starting 2 guard.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                              X