The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barolt wrote: View Post
    I don't think it's Horford, just because I think he would've put Atlanta on his list.
    Doesn't really make sense for Biz...SAS is a terrible fit if we go by their history of never having an offensively useless big man....And generally avoid players that are that bad on one end.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Bonner is a good guess.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Doesn't really make sense for Biz...SAS is a terrible fit if we go by their history of never having an offensively useless big man....And generally avoid players that are that bad on one end.

Any player wanting to go to San Antonio makes a lot of sense though, to me.

Ryan Anderson? I'm honestly not sure, trying to figure out who makes sense for all of those teams.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

Any player wanting to go to San Antonio makes a lot of sense though, to me.

Ryan Anderson? I'm honestly not sure, trying to figure out who makes sense for all of those teams.
          I also wonder if for Horford maybe he's just done with Atlanta...hence the team not being on the list.

Maybe it's David West....with the Knicks as a dark horse since it's New York and they've already made one big move with Rose. A Melo, Rose, Zinger core, add Noah and West....that's not bad at all.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
            There are plenty of guys who can fill the backup SF slot for reasonable expense given our personnel - bringing JJ back for something in the $2-5m would work just fine. If not JJ, then Quincy Acy, or Marcus Thornton, or Hollis Thompson, or Alan Anderson, or E'Twaun Moore, or Lance Thomas. There are a few other players who will all also work just fine, and worst-case we can always sign DeAndre Daniels to a second-round player's minimum contract. Backup wing is relatively easy.

It's the power forward slot that's the trouble. There are a lot of good options who would work there perfectly: Marvin Williams and Darrell Arthur are the two most obvious, but their pricetags are going to start at $10m a year. On a smaller deal, Dwight Powell, Trevor Booker and Andrew Nicholson could all be answers, although none is perfect (Powell is the best defender but has no real range to speak of, Booker's shooting from outside is weaker than one would like and Nicholson isn't entirely proven as a starter, to say the least) but all will likely be more expensive than the $6m/year we have in cap space and thus won't fit in the MLE either.

(One of the reasons I wanted us to draft Domantas Sabonis was that a backup center would be cheaper than a starting power forward, and Casey's comments aside, I don't think Poeltl (who I like well enough) can really play power forward in this league. I think Sabonis can do that, and do it right now. But the past is past, etc.)

One of the reasons I advocate for trading Terrence Ross, despite him being the team's best shooter, is that his $10m in salary space opens up a lot of options. When you trade Ross, you create the space to get a power forward who really moves the needle - not a star, but a quality four who can stretch the floor like Williams or Arthur do - and then have money and exceptions left over to sign the extra backup wing/guard you need to replace Ross. I would rather have 2-3 .360+ three-point shooters than one .400 three-point shooter.
            Trading Ross, or anyone else for that matter, for additional cap space is going to cost us a draft pick. I would think we are going to have to compensate the targeted team for opportunity cost as the trade takes away from their ability to play in free agency and if we were going to make the move to trade a rotational player it would have been on draft night when unused picks are at peak value. The clips protected first next year is what we have left in the cupboard...likely not enough to get something done. Never say never but it's going to hurt to trade for space.

To get something of value in a straight up trade is going to cost us a solid piece. In my lifeboat exercise, because of who is playing in front of them or behind them at certain positions on the Raps depth charts...the guys out of the boat who could get varying levels of value back in a player for player or cap space trades would be

CoJo - higher value (7M and likely no sweetner for Pickerings own)
            Ross - medium value (10M and think we would have to add a draft pick)
            Powell - medium to low value (cuz he only makes .8M good trade player for player.. not so much for cap space)
            Bebe - low value (cuz he only makes 2M but hard to see on player for player who bites )

Think we are going to be on the periphery with our noses pressed up against the glass during FA (aside from resigning DD) and hoping to find help once the needle moving PF's are off the table.

Be happy if we could get one of Dudley or Arthur or Teletovic with money.. no players or draft picks out.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Jun 27, 2016, 04:44 PM.
            There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
            - TGO

Comment

• Don't know if this was already posted:

Should DeRozan be willing to shave some off the top of his salary as a way to help Biyombo stay on board, as it seems he possibly will, then there is a very real interest on Biyombo’s part of making it all work. The person spoke to USA TODAY Sports on the condition of anonymity because of the private nature of the situation.

As for DeRozan, he has plenty of options on hold as well. The Lakers, who could wind up getting a meeting with DeRozan, in part, because he still resides there during the summer, are widely known to be very interested in making him part of their young core. The Clippers, Golden State Warriors, Miami Heat, New York Knicks, and Orlando Magic are also hoping to lure him stateside.
              http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ents/86403132/

If Biz finds a way back here then Poeltl is going to have to be able to earn minutes at the 4 if he hopes to play next season because Casey won't sub him in over Biz.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                Don't know if this was already posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...ents/86403132/

If Biz finds a way back here then Poeltl is going to have to be able to earn minutes at the 4 if he hopes to play next season because Casey won't sub him in over Biz.
                The Amick story is silly. DeRozan's salary going down doesn't help re-sign Bismack at all, because of sequencing.

DeMar's salary would have to be less than $15 mil, his cap hold, in order for it to matter at all for re-signing Bismack.

Comment

The Amick story is silly. DeRozan's salary going down doesn't help re-sign Bismack at all, because of sequencing.

DeMar's salary would have to be less than $15 mil, his cap hold, in order for it to matter at all for re-signing Bismack.
                  100%... unless DD signs for less than 15M no more cap space is generated than what we already have....

We got 6M to spend... To get to 8M or 9M we would have to shake loose one or more of Bebe or Bruno or Wright or Powell to generate another 2-3M of space to be able to offer BIz 9M for a year....

Lots invested in those guys to just kick them over the side ...
                  There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                  - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                    100%... unless DD signs for less than 15M no more cap space is generated than what we already have....

We got 6M to spend... To get to 8M or 9M we would have to shake loose one or more of Bebe or Bruno or Wright or Powell to generate another 2-3M of space to be able to offer BIz 9M for a year....

Lots invested in those guys to just kick them over the side ...
                    And Biz ain't signing for 9M anyways

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
                      And Biz ain't signing for 9M anyways
                      Honestly, I saw someone speculate today that Bismack might get a max offer.

Comment

Honestly, I saw someone speculate today that Bismack might get a max offer.
                        If someone like Kanter makes 17M. TT making the 18M. I can definitely see someone giving Biz a max. I'd rather have Biz than either of them.
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• If Biz is resign there will be trade that follows. One of these centers will be shipped out. Something's got to give.
                          Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Mon Jun 27, 2016, 05:03 PM.
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
                            Pau Gasol
                            Sounds like Pau Gasol looking for a ring

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                              Trading Ross, or anyone else for that matter, for additional cap space is going to cost us a draft pick.
                              No, it won't.

I think people underestimate Ross' trade value because he has had shitty playoff appearances. He's 25, so he's only just beginning his prime. He can be a rock-solid defender, he's athletic, and he's an elite shooter (40% on threes is elite in this league). Our problem with him is that he's never been clutch, and a lot of teams will perceive that as being a coaching or situation issue rather than a player issue, because 3-and-D wings in this league are currently worth their weight in gold.

Trading Ross away will be easy, because there are going to be a lot of teams looking for more expensive players to do what Ross does already, and at $10m he's a relative bargain. To be clear: I don't actually want to trade him. If we can do a voodoo curse and make Darrell Arthur or even Andrew Nicholson sign for the MLE, we should keep Ross and do that instead. But a lot of teams will want him if the price is, say, a future draft pick or rights to a player currently drafted.

Comment

• Simplicity wrote: View Post
                                Sounds like Pau Gasol looking for a ring
                                Yup.. soon after I posted it was him, reports came out he officially opted out of his contract LOL.

But really it's gotta be Pau.

Spurs - He and Marc talked about how they would play for Spurs
                                Raptors - Made it to the Conf.Finals and seem to be the only team in the way of Cavs in the East with a potential hole in the front court veteran help.
                                Cavs - 99% chance at a championship ring
                                Knicks - Phil and he have such a good relationship with their championship Laker days and they seem to be putting together a super team-ish, depends on who you ask.

Comment

Working...
                                X