The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I guess? I suppose we could have said the same about potential minutes for Powell last summer. We have enough veterans at every position that we won't be stuck starting a rookie no matter who goes down (assuming of course we avoid multiple injuries at the same position at the same time). And a rookie playing backup minutes in injury situations is not the end of the world.
    Starting a rookie is completely out of the question unless the wheels utterly fall off. Powell is a bit of an outlier-- other than him, I would be surprised if a rookie since JV or Ross had played meaningful or consistent minutes since. A rookie playing backup minutes due to injury is unavoidable, but Casey has shown a strong preference to go with vets. He even admitted that playing Powell down the stretch and in the playoffs was against his instincts. But if he has to, he will.

Comment

He played C almost exclusively last season. He was the 10th ranked C by RPM, 18th defensively. He's solid as a C. The real question is how good he is as a PF. But, yeah, he's not a Biyombo-esque rim protector.
      What is RPM exactly? And he seems to be much better than I thought defensively which is good. I'm just worried about the rim protection. I remember Hansbrough and Patterson doing a good job when they played together and there was no rim protection either so maybe we can do it again with Sullinger and Patterson. Where did Biz rank in those same stats if you don't mind me asking?
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• I just hope Bebe surprises us because he seems to be the only other big man we have that will be able to give us rim protection as well as being pretty mobile for his height. Jakob can too but he's a rookie so I won't hold my breath with him.
        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• Sinbad wrote: View Post
          I wouldn't hold my breath on Masai making a deal in-season for frontcourt help. He'll trot out his usual, "We don't want to do anything that would sacrifice our future just to make a short term move" quote. If he was going to do anything about the frontcourt, he would have done so this offseason but, as has been extensively discussed, his options were limited and he was hamstrung by the cap. Depth is a concern. Sullinger and Patterson are solid, but I can't see Casey being thrilled about playing Poeltl or Siakam meaningful minutes if he doesn't absolutely have to.
          I don't agree that because they didn't add more depth upfront in the offseason they are not going to do it in-season - even if it's only a like a Thompson signing to bring in a 4th or 5th big. MU may be looking at Bebe/Poetl as being able to fill those 4th/5th big shoes and only if they can't will he bring in a vet. It's way too soon to be ruling that out.

I'm not going to get into the Casey/young guys stuff as I've resolved not to bother engaging in certain discussions around here this season but I'll leave it at this: if Bebe and/or Poetl are productive and disciplined they will play cause there are minutes for them to be had.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
            What is RPM exactly? And he seems to be much better than I thought defensively which is good. I'm just worried about the rim protection. I remember Hansbrough and Patterson doing a good job when they played together and there was no rim protection either so maybe we can do it again with Sullinger and Patterson. Where did Biz rank in those same stats if you don't mind me asking?
            RPM is Real Plus Minus, an adjusted player impact measure from ESPN. Biz was elite defensively and terrible offensively and averaged out to a net neutral.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

RPM is Real Plus Minus, an adjusted player impact measure from ESPN. Biz was elite defensively and terrible offensively and averaged out to a net neutral.
              Oh okay. Good to know. Thanks!

Comment

• Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                  I hope you're right, but man if JV goes down with an injury there is going to be no rim protection out there for us. And with JV having to now step up his minutes along with 2Pat, the risk of injury increases.
                  A lot of teams play without much rim protection now, you just have to make up for it by having an edge elsewhere. I think there's enough talent and versatility in the lineup for some interesting 5 man units.

BB just as often gave them next to nothing as he would have a monster night, even after JV went down. They survived on his 2 pt, 4 reb, 16 min nights.

Between Sullinger, Bebe, Poeltel, Siakam, and small lineups, they'll find production somewhere. As was mentioned, it'll be open to whoever steps up.
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

Does that mean they are coming to Vancouver?

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                      Is Hansbrough signed? Wouldn't mind him as insurance if Poetl doesnt pan out for JV's foul trouble.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post

One too many. Unfortunately MLSE just gets the same amount out of SSH whether it's 41,42 or 45 home games.

One thing I would like league to address is that many teams adjust face value of tickets based on opponent . This is based on perceived demand. The problem is that when teams rest players the fans that pay the premium don't get an adjusted refund or allowance. For example if a ticket on average costs $100 but is $200 when Cleveland comes to town but the CAVS decide to rest a healthy LeBron their is no consequence to player/team for sitting when healthy. When they market the game they raise the price due to demand . Fans pay more and for doing so reasonably expect all non-injured or ill players to play. When healthy players do not play the fans pay for a subpar product. To add insult the resting player still gets paid. If there are any legal experts in our midst could you chime in on this. It would be nice if the league would address this issue.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                          Is Hansbrough signed? Wouldn't mind him as insurance if Poetl doesnt pan out for JV's foul trouble.
                          Still in the bargain bin. Not sure where he's gonna end up to start the season. There's no doubt he's an NBA player. A team like GSW or CLE could really use him.

Comment

JV never seems to make it through a season?

He played 80 and 81 games in the two seasons prior to last year. I've addressed the "frequently in foul trouble" bit, simply not true. Occasionally? Sure. Frequently, no.

And again, Sullinger is a pretty effective centre himself, and BeBe was great last year when he was used.

It's true that many of the runs we had were because of Biyombo's defence. Of course, many of the runs the opponent had were because of his offence...
                            JV only played 60 games last year. 2012-2013 only 62 games. 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 81 and 80 respectively. I'm probably a little more concerned than you Dan re his durability. Offensively I expect a huge year this season.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                              JV only played 60 games last year. 2012-2013 only 62 games. 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 81 and 80 respectively. I'm probably a little more concerned than you Dan re his durability. Offensively I expect a huge year this season.
                              So in 4 seasons, he's missed 44 games total? That's negligible, at best.
                              twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                So in 4 seasons, he's missed 44 games total? That's negligible, at best.
                                IF JV misses 20 games this season we should all be more concerned re backup C . IF healthy 75 + games we'll be in good shape. He also had injury in post season last season which we able to overcome because of BB.

Comment

Working...
                                X