Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    is this a fake picture??
    yeah.

look at the gatorade bottles.

still hilarious though

Comment

• @Rapaholic

The uncertainty of resigning is the issue for anyone contemplating trading for him. He has already refused any talk of extension or promises I believe. He wants to check it all out as a f/a.

For any east coast team there is a built in danger...he is a west coast (warm weather) guy so any team in the east has to overcome that "bias" with a iron clad case of winnability....imo. And he might still walk.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
        All the teams you mentioned were way over the tax threshold. With exception to maybe GS
        I'm using historic context, not just this season.

Players take paycuts to play with guys they like. When Miami got together, other than here and Cleveland no one was screaming collusion even though it obviously was. This is one guy moving to a team who had space only because their star player was underpaid due to past injuries. And now everyone wants to wine and complain?

They are taking advantage of luck (Curry's ankles getting better), and proper team building. Silver shouldn't be punishing them.

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
          What rules did TD-CIBC break when they announced their merger? why was it blocked? Even if there is any rules, who put the rules in the first place? why regulate?

The point is KD didn't break any rules to join the Warriors. But commish needs to do something to prevent stars joining forces if they actually mean to bring out parity in this league. Whether "parity" is juts lip service or not is another discussion all together.
          Banks are regulated for a boatload of reasons. Mainly so that the economy isn't rigged by oligarchy and monopolistic practices. If major banks merge they can potentially independently control interest rates, or worse, they can become "too big to fail," which happened in the US with Freddie Mac and led to the biggest recession since the great depression 9 years ago.

It's not the NBA's job to punish teams that do a good job, and create a mediocre league. Every team is allowed the same amount of money. How you build, draft, scout, train, develop, handle the cap, etc dictates the quality of your team.

If the commish over steps his role and tries to change the rules the players union will act. The NBAPA exists because players in the league for generations had no choice where they played, and how much they played for. Free agency was one of the first things they fought for, and limiting player movement in anyway under the guise of parity will force players to walk out.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
            Banks are regulated for a boatload of reasons. Mainly so that the economy isn't rigged by oligarchy and monopolistic practices. If major banks merge they can potentially independently control interest rates, or worse, they can become "too big to fail," which happened in the US with Freddie Mac and led to the biggest recession since the great depression 9 years ago.

It's not the NBA's job to punish teams that do a good job, and create a mediocre league. Every team is allowed the same amount of money. How you build, draft, scout, train, develop, handle the cap, etc dictates the quality of your team.

If the commish over steps his role and tries to change the rules the players union will act. The NBAPA exists because players in the league for generations had no choice where they played, and how much they played for. Free agency was one of the first things they fought for, and limiting player movement in anyway under the guise of parity will force players to walk out.
            You misunderstood the discussion.

I'm not saying NBA should punish good teams.

I'm arguing there should be a subtle way for teams to spread the wealth (star players in the league) among teams to create parity. kind of why there is a cap exist in the league in the first place. NBA doesn't do it alone. The CBA is negotiated by both NBA and NBPA, regardless.

It doesn't make the league mediocre. I dont know where you got that from. there is greater parity in NFL and is also the greatest league in N.A.

P.S - Freddie Mac wasn't too big to fail. Freddie Mac was a significant factor in the stability of housing market so they needed that in the equation. J.P Morgan and Morgan Stanley were too big to fail because they heavily invested public equity in bogus shit and their failure would have rippled effect across global economy. Hence they were "too big to "allowed to" fail". By all means they could have failed but were bailed out by public money to save.....public money.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
              Ron Jeremy has got a giant sidekick now?! why couldnt we sign that guy?! Boban is 7'3 and has a 7'8 wingspan!

Comment

I'm arguing there should be a subtle way for teams to spread the wealth (star players in the league) among teams to create parity. kind of why there is a cap exist in the league in the first place. NBA doesn't do it alone. The CBA is negotiated by both NBA and NBPA, regardless.

It doesn't make the league mediocre. I dont know where you got that from. there is greater parity in NFL and is also the greatest league in N.A.

P.S - Freddie Mac wasn't too big to fail. Freddie Mac was a significant factor in the stability of housing market so they needed that in the equation. J.P Morgan and Morgan Stanley were too big to fail because they heavily invested public equity in bogus shit and their failure would have rippled effect across global economy. Hence they were "too big to "allowed to" fail". By all means they could have failed but were bailed out by public money to save.....public money.
                There are many ways to 'spread the wealth'. The draft exists for this purpose, as do bird rights.

However, once in a while players get the right to self-determination. If we want it to truly be self-determination, we can't get mad when they make a choice we don't like.
                twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Seems like Masai is done for the off season. Said last spot will go to an training camp invite.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                    Seems like Masai is done for the off season. Said last spot will go to an training camp invite.
                    Interesting.. so the oldest player on the team will be Lowry (at 30 years).

Comment

• I am happy about the past few years. Even though we didn't get any big name free agents like KD or Al Horford We got someone decent and unlike BC ..Masai didn't overpay. When was the last time a player took a discount to stay in T.dot... .you see guys like Bautista saying... pay me my money this is my price take it or leave it... Then you see guys like Demar who are so committed so loyal to staying here that they take a discount ($139 mill vs $153 mill) and out right says... I wanna play here for the rest of my career. Same with Sully. Say what you will but this guy had offers to sign else where for DOUBLE... Part of it is him betting on himself. Part of it is a good move by Masai and us building a winning team. If we continue to make 2nd round of the playoffs and beyond we will always have a chance to push ourselves over the top. We can really make ourselves contenders over the next 2 years. Watch next year or eve n through out the season if Atlanta doesn't do well we will benefit from being able to turn some one like Sully plus Ross into Contracts that both help provide other teams with off season cap space as well as a young prospect.

Comment

When was the last time a player took a discount to stay in T.dot... .you see guys like Bautista saying... pay me my money this is my price take it or leave it... Then you see guys like Demar who are so committed so loyal to staying here that they take a discount ($139 mill vs $153 mill) and out right says... I wanna play here for the rest of my career.
                        I don't disagree with the comments on the Raps but I wouldn't use the Bautista comparison. MLB is very, very different from the NBA.

Comment

I am happy about the past few years. Even though we didn't get any big name free agents like KD or Al Horford We got someone decent and unlike BC ..Masai didn't overpay. When was the last time a player took a discount to stay in T.dot... .you see guys like Bautista saying... pay me my money this is my price take it or leave it... Then you see guys like Demar who are so committed so loyal to staying here that they take a discount ($139 mill vs $153 mill) and out right says... I wanna play here for the rest of my career. Same with Sully. Say what you will but this guy had offers to sign else where for DOUBLE... Part of it is him betting on himself. Part of it is a good move by Masai and us building a winning team. If we continue to make 2nd round of the playoffs and beyond we will always have a chance to push ourselves over the top. We can really make ourselves contenders over the next 2 years. Watch next year or eve n through out the season if Atlanta doesn't do well we will benefit from being able to turn some one like Sully plus Ross into Contracts that both help provide other teams with off season cap space as well as a young prospect.
                          Uhh, that's extension talks. DeRozan didn't even entertain extension talks (for good reason, but Bautista has good reason not to either unless the team pays a premium). Those scenarios are not remotely comparable.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm a big Joey Bats fan. But If i'm the Blue Jays i'd focus more on re-signing Encarnacion this offseason than Bautista.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Randy Foye and Anthony Bennett have signed with the Nets

Comment

No I get what you're saying and I disagree.

You're punishing teams for internal growth -- all of the Warriors before Durrant were developed internally. Because one is underpaid they can make this move. But you're suggesting that because a star is underpaid the Warriors should not be allowed to add a star for competitive balance. The Warriors are going essentially pay around the same amount for their players as everyone else. They exist in a cap system league.

That would be akin to JV becoming a star on his current contract, Lowry taking a pay cut and through basic trades (Ross, Bebe, Bruno, 2Pat -- theoretically) the Raps created space to bring in a 4th star (who is willing to take a pay cut) and the NBA saying no.

The Raps would have developed JV as a star, scouted and traded for Lowry when the rest of the league spurned him, developed DD. But then they're not allowed to have an extra star because stars should be equally distributed amongst teams?

Isn't that punishing teams? Not that I care about punishing/rewarding teams (unless it's the Raps). More importantly, doesn't that punish players in free agency by limiting where they can play? If it doesn't impact the amount of money going to players, if it primarily impacts wins, what right does Silver have to step in at all?

The reality is that most players in the star - superstar range of talent get their money from multiple places. You can't stop people from taking paycuts to join teams. Durrant is leaving millions on the table with this 2 year deal (and moving to a state with a brutal tax code). Money isn't his motivation. It's clear with his deal that winning means more to him.

But you think teams that create winning cultures, shouldn't be able to add star free agents? Doesn't that also punish players on mediocre teams who decide they want to win. "Sorry DeMarcus Cousins, you can't take a pay cut and try to win, after that nightmare in Sacramento, but these 15-16 mediocre teams can vie for your services."

PS -- You realize by correcting me on Freddie Mac you answered your own questions? You don't regulate against success. You regulate to avoid catastrophic failure. With regional and national TV deals exploding, and players willing to lose money to win. How does that lead to catastrophic failure under a capped system? Why must player movement be regulated?

Comment

Working...
                                X