The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jimmie wrote: View Post
    Don't see it with Lin, personally. Decent year last year, decent rookie year when he had the run of the Knicks. Other than that, I see an ok offensive player with virtually no D. Seems like a 'trendy' guy to like right now, but I don't see him adding anything needle-moving, and losing Joseph as a defensive anchor for both the bench and late-game with the starters, that's a big loss. I also think he's better on O than you're making out; don't see the big gap with Corey/Lin there that I see on D the other way.
    Completely agree. People severely underestimate how important cojo was on D for us this year.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
      Completely agree. People severely underestimate how important cojo was on D for us this year.
      Delon's a long, and capable defender. Showed signs when given minutes late in the season. People forget how good he was in the Spurs/Pacers games that Lowry and DeMar sat.

I like CoJo, but if you have to trade him to get someone like Ibaka, you do it.(same applies to everyone on the roster except Lowry and JV, basically)
      twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
        The redundancy is that Wright and Powell also project to be pretty good on D, and there's no one to start at the PF spot.

CoJo is very important to the team, but so is that gaping hole at PF.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
          The redundancy is that Wright and Powell also project to be pretty good on D, and there's no one to start at the PF spot.

CoJo is very important to the team, but so is that gaping hole at PF.
          "Projecting" as a good defender is great, if you're not trying to win a championship in the next 2-3 years. I wouldn't feel confident relying on Powell, and def not on Wright, to fill in behind the loss of CoJo. And yes, the hole at 4 is glaring, but I think they can fill it without giving up Joseph.
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Yeah the same rule applies to cojo as Bismack. Very very good bench players. But life goes on without very very good bench players. Nobodis ever one a championship because of their bench. If you can get a guy who's hovering close top 5 in the world at his position without compromising your core, you do.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

"Projecting" as a good defender is great, if you're not trying to win a championship in the next 2-3 years. I wouldn't feel confident relying on Powell, and def not on Wright, to fill in behind the loss of CoJo. And yes, the hole at 4 is glaring, but I think they can fill it without giving up Joseph.
              Again i co-sign this

Comment

• Indiana is making some strong moves. This is why we need to make moves...nobody else is standing still
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• I have a feeling Masai is going to trade our picks tonight.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                    I have a feeling Masai is going to trade our picks tonight.
                    Well, with names like Ibaka on the market, I wouldn't be surprised.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Raps are not nearly a championship calibre team if they stand pat. Yeah Cojo is a great role player, but ultimately without the top end talent, it doesn't really matter. I think the point is that giving up cojo to upgrade the overall talent level is worthwhile, especially considering that you have two rooks who can do 80 percent of what he can already.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                        OK, I'm sold, Ross for Ibaka, with other parts of some sort, is definitely happening.
                        Give them the Clippers pick next season but not the 9th! lets not Colangelo this deal.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                          Give them the Clippers pick next season but not the 9th! lets not Colangelo this deal.
                          For a guy like Ibaka, you're going to have to give up at least one high-value asset aside from Ross. Whether that's #9, CoJo, Pat, Powell... something.
                          twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
                            If they can trade for Ibaka and somehow clear the cap space necessary to sign Lin, it would be ok to lose Cojo in that scenario IMO. And that would be a fine offseason. Cojo's defence is top tier, but for a guy that has the ball in his hands so much, I'd prefer if he could do more with it. Lin could make up for the loss of Ross and Cojo, at least offensively, and he isn't a bad defender. Plus you still got (hopefully) Powell and Wright who look like good defenders at their positions.
                            Torontos huge asian community would love this haha

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                              Raps are not nearly a championship calibre team if they stand pat. Yeah Cojo is a great role player, but ultimately without the top end talent, it doesn't really matter. I think the point is that giving up cojo to upgrade the overall talent level is worthwhile, especially considering that you have two rooks who can do 80 percent of what he can already.
                              Well, if you really believe that Norm and Wright can supply 80% of what CoJo does, then maybe you do it, but I don't agree that you can rely on 2 second-year players the way you can on Joseph. And the Raptors are arguably "nearly a championship team" as-is, and no one is suggesting standing pat.

Selling the farm, getting weaker by subtraction, is not the way to keep the window open for the Lowry/Derozan core. And I also don't believe it's necessary. If the ONLY way they can get Ibaka is with CoJo and picks, then you really need to reconsider. I think Ross alone could do it; Ross+27 should do it; and Ross+9, OKC would be stupid to turn it down.
                              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                                For a guy like Ibaka, you're going to have to give up at least one high-value asset aside from Ross. Whether that's #9, CoJo, Pat, Powell... something.
                                Declining big man who lied about his age, and got only 1 more year to go... sorry but Ibaka is not going to make the difference maker for a championship, the 9th pick can however go along way to strengthen the core and increase in value.

Comment

Working...
                                X