The 2016 Offseason thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c-troop wrote: View Post
    You're right. But you gotta think. If he was down to get traded for key pieces this year, and get resigned next year... in my opinion that's our championship window. Unless Bruno is a lights out ringer hahahaha

And I've always thought its was fishy how perfectly it all worked out for cleveland... it was like they never went through that losing phase.
    Who are these mythical key pieces we can trade Lowry for? You said it yourself, there are plenty of talented PGs out there. How much can Lowry really get you? Not as much as Westbrook who is 3 years younger, not as much as CP3 who is a year older. It's a slight oversimplification but you can argue that Teague and Hill were basically swapped for a #12 pick. Is something similar to that really going to put the Raps over the top? Even if Lowry comes back in a year which is a wild assumption.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
      Has a star ever been traded then resigned that year with his original team? That's would be a pretty good move but it would make people mad I'm sure.
      That practice would be really bad for the game. Teams like Toronto would be getting fleeced and not the other way around.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
        Has a star ever been traded then resigned that year with his original team? That's would be a pretty good move but it would make people mad I'm sure.
        Gary Payton with Boston.. pretty similar

Comment

• Mess wrote: View Post
          Who are these mythical key pieces we can trade Lowry for? You said it yourself, there are plenty of talented PGs out there. How much can Lowry really get you? Not as much as Westbrook who is 3 years younger, not as much as CP3 who is a year older. It's a slight oversimplification but you can argue that Teague and Hill were basically swapped for a #12 pick. Is something similar to that really going to put the Raps over the top? Even if Lowry comes back in a year which is a wild assumption.
          Name any PF under 30 who has all star potential and has 2 years on their contract. And in my opinion I do not think CP3 is better than Lowry right now, he's looked flakey.
          Last edited by c-troop; Wed Jul 6, 2016, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
            But GSW won it all with the keep the guys together model. Now, they also added Durant this summer, but the year they won it they did it by sticking to formula, and won 73 games last year by sticking to formula. The Spurs have largely won their championships by just keeping their guys and adding only fringe pieces.

The Raps obviously have to improve, but ultimately, keeping your current contributors is not some flawed strategy. It's obviously not the only one, looking at MIA and CLE, but maybe throwing talent together isn't the pattern there, it's just LeBron James.
            You nailed it right there. GSW, Spurs are small market teams that we are modeling our team after. I'd say these are pretty solid examples of how to build a championship team when your city is not necessarily a destination city.

What's particularly great about these two examples is the Spurs built their team around a #1 pick while Warriors are building around a #8 pick, showing you don't need to tank (necessarily) to get to where they are.

We need to just keep building. I think there may have been a small window of opportunity for Masai to go big, but I also think a lot of teams had that opportunity blown out of the water when they saw Durant sign with the Warriors. All we can do now is just keep growing, keep building and bide our time. Assemble assets, develop them, have winning seasons and fun playoff runs and bide our time until there's an opening.
            Last edited by ebrian; Wed Jul 6, 2016, 10:32 AM.
            your pal,
            ebrian

Comment

• That biding time spiel is depressing. Summer league starts July 8 right?
              I can't wait for our first regular season game against Cleveland next year without Biyombo so I can get a more full understanding of where this team is headed.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                Gary Payton with Boston.. pretty similar
                Alonzo Morning is another good example.. Traded here... didn't wanna play here then went and signed back in Miami.

Comment

I never said he would stay in Utah. For the record I am a huge Kyle Lowry fan. I'm also terrified he's gonna walk next year.

I also said we should explore the possibilities of resigning him or the BPA and there will be multiple talents PGs available. If Lowry is on the Raptors he obviously knows the team is missing pieces. He also knows that his contract is coming up.

If you love something you should set it free... CLE got LeBron back and they benefited huge from his departure.

I'm just looking at the bigger picture further down the road for Toronto, I don't care if Utah crashes and burns by going into "win now mode". Millsap would only be a rental, Horford is in BOS, i wonder if the Magic would trade Gordon for Lowry? I'd personally do it.
                  Yeah I think I understand your logic. As I'm not a fan of Derozan's contract (not his fault not raps fault more of a system thing) one of the best things I take from it is KL's likelihood of staying. Continuity. If there's going to be a lot of guards on the market next summer then I think that decreases the chances of him leaving.

But I will agree it's not impossible that he leaves. If a team is a Kyle size piece away for legitimately challenging for a championship... Is a second or third super team... Maybe. We don't know. I made a point about that relating to Demar. Who I do think is a loyal stand up guy and all round great citizen. A super team wasnt trying to lure Demar as the final piece of the puzzle. Particularly at 28M per. So it's hard to know for sure what he would have done if they did. I think Kyle is a better player and stands a chance of being heavily recruited by top teams. Of course I hope very much he'll be back.

Comment

• I think something that possibly fell under the radar is that the Warriors hired Mike Brown as their lead assistant coach. Is that in the hopes of getting a Lebron-whisperer on their side?
                    your pal,
                    ebrian

Comment

That biding time spiel is depressing. Summer league starts July 8 right?
                      I can't wait for our first regular season game against Cleveland next year without Biyombo so I can get a more full understanding of where this team is headed.
                      Without Biyombo? You guys act like he is franchise player. You mean you wanna see how JV, Lowry, Derozan play right?
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                        Without Biyombo? You guys act like he is franchise player. You mean you wanna see how JV, Lowry, Derozan play right?
                        LOL seriously. He also left out Mozgov. We're both down a backup center, although we've drafted two more and Cleveland hasn't done anything. He should have said "I can't wait for our first regular season game without Biyombo against Cleveland without Mozgov so I can get a more full understanding of where this team is headed."
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
                          LOL seriously. He also left out Mozgov. We're both down a backup center, although we've drafted two more and Cleveland hasn't done anything. He should have said "I can't wait for our first regular season game without Biyombo against Cleveland without Mozgov so I can get a more full understanding of where this team is headed."
                          Nevermind the serious hole in the logic that suggests that one game against one opponent should tell you anything about where a team is heading.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Maurice Ndour looked like an NBA player in today's Canada/Senegal game (even though Senegal lost). He nearly made the league last year when Dallas signed him but he stress-fractured his tibia so they waived the contract.

I think at minimum he's a training camp invite.

Oh, and Melvin Ejim played gangbusters for Team Canada. We should invite him to camp too. He could definitely play backup 3.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                              Haha. I know the boys will show up and do their thing, c'mon we got Lowry and DeRozan
                              The only reason I said "Biyombo" specifically, is because his absence is the only major difference between what we had and what we currently have. And if it is hard to tell that he is missing that will be a good sign for the rest of the year. But if it's obvious that something is significantly different, you'll know where to look.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                Nevermind the serious hole in the logic that suggests that one game against one opponent should tell you anything about where a team is heading.
                                I bet if the Raptors lose the first game of the season people will use that one game to try and determine the path of the whole damn season. At least I said Cleveland, which will also be an awesome game for so many other reasons other than a benchmark.
                                Biyombo vs. LeBron happened, there is video evidence. It will be interesting to see if his lack of presence makes any significant difference in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X